Pachistopelma rufonigrum

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pachistopelma POCOCK, 1901 (2 species)

Does anybody have this species, or can even supply care tips? I'm currently looking for those over here and have a hard time to find them really. Any information about this species (besides the fact, that they are considered to be pretty much like Avics) would be appreciated!

In case this genus was renamed or anything the like, please advise, too!

Pictures would be very much appreciated as well, since there seem to be NONE on the web :(

Thanks, people!
Jan

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Hi Jan, considering these are from Brazil, I doubt they will make it to the hobby anytime soon(legally). They are awesome though! -Chad

Here's some notes. >>Click<<

Some pics(although limited). >>Click<<

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi Jan, considering these are from Brazil, I doubt they will make it to the hobby anytime soon(legally). They are awesome though! -Chad

Here's some notes. >>Click<<

Some pics(although limited). >>Click<<
Hey Chad,

thanks man! It's appreciated. Yeah, I know some very few people over here own them, but I've yet to find them *sigh*

So it's most likely a) not available, or b) unknowingly labelled as Iridopelma / Aviculari spec. maybe...that makes searching for it really difficult, guess I'll have to ask around a little on my connections. Hoping I can dig up a female or even a maiting pair ...

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone from Brazil on Fauna Classifieds was selling these a year or so ago for $100 a pop +$50 shipping...I really had a hard time not purchasing a few,but I do not need my door kicked in and my collection taken,like a certain local did...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Someone from Brazil on Fauna Classifieds was selling these a year or so ago for $100 a pop +$50 shipping...I really had a hard time not purchasing a few,but I do not need my door kicked in and my collection taken,like a certain local did...
Are you serious? Ouch...bad luck or stupidity..or both. Can't judge that.

Like I said, I know it's kept here -somewhere-, since I read about a few people that obviously got them a few years back, but did they ever breed them? NO idea. Gonna ask around, see what turns up, maybe get a breeding pair if so.

I still would like to get a breeding pair of P. emeraldus, but so far, I only know of a single person that owns them.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anyone else can provide info or pictures even on these? Although Chad did me already a huge favor with his post here, I thought I bump this one up as I am still hoping someone from Europe maybe has a positive reply. And I'm only looking for CB as a sidenot. Not the least interested in WC. Thank you.

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Storm, PM me your email address, I think I have some other papers by Dias on this species. I will check when I get home, and forward them on to you.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hate to dredge up an old thread but just got an email from Michael Jacobi and he has the first U.S. breeding on these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Hate to dredge up an old thread but just got an email from Michael Jacobi and he has the first U.S. breeding on these guys.
Yeah, beat me to it...Mike Jacobi did just breed them. His description tells of a flattened abdomen and the fact that they are known to live in bromeliads.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Which is fabulous news, this genus kinda reminds me of a cross between an avic and psalmo, should get more people interested in aboreals.

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Just discovered this thread. Yes, I have produced four sacs of Pachistopelma rufonigrum the first of which hatched a couple weeks ago (once known as Avicularia pulchra; and am also currently breeding P. bromelicola. I have one freshly molted female mate and 3 ultimate males, but I have two more adult females coming. Both of these northeastern Brazilian species are bromelicolous; that is, they inhabit bromeliad axils and have a flattened abdomen as an adaptation to this lifestyle. It is more pronounced in P. bromelicola and in males. You can view info at http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch/species/37729/Pachistopelma_rufonigrum with free registration to the World Spider Catalog and you will see a PDF icon to download Bertani's 2012 paper that revised Pachistopelma and related Aviculariinae genera describing P. bromelicola in the process. You can see them in my Tarantulas in Terrarium gallery at exoticfauna.smugmug.com. Cheers, Michael

ScottStuart

Arachnopeon
Just discovered this thread. Yes, I have produced four sacs of Pachistopelma rufonigrum the first of which hatched a couple weeks ago (once known as Avicularia pulchra; and am also currently breeding P. bromelicola. I have one freshly molted female mate and 3 ultimate males, but I have two more adult females coming. Both of these northeastern Brazilian species are bromelicolous; that is, they inhabit bromeliad axils and have a flattened abdomen as an adaptation to this lifestyle. It is more pronounced in P. bromelicola and in males. You can view info at http://www.wsc.nmbe.ch/species/37729/Pachistopelma_rufonigrum with free registration to the World Spider Catalog and you will see a PDF icon to download Bertani's 2012 paper that revised Pachistopelma and related Aviculariinae genera describing P. bromelicola in the process. You can see them in my Tarantulas in Terrarium gallery at exoticfauna.smugmug.com. Cheers, Michael
Hey Michael, I realize this thread is several years old, but I just got an adult female pachistopelma rufonigrum. The guy I got her from has a few mature males lined up and I was hoping you could give me some advice on successfully reproducing this species.

Also any housing/ husbandry tips would be greatly appreciated.

Im planning to do a planted tank for her with aechmae sp. Bromelaids (at least one).

Ive got several hours of research into this species and im convinced you are the best source for the info I seek.
Thank you!!

Python Patrol Exotics

Arachnopeon
As ScottStuart has asked above, I to am looking for some info on these. And my research has brought me to you, I would message you directly but it seems to be restricted. I am getting one next week and want to make sure i am successful getting it to adulthood. Thank you in advance