Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Androctonus Crassicauda

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Androctonus Bicolor

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
So I recently made the decision to purchase some hotter scorps. I am torn between these three species, as there don't seem to be any real differences between them besides minor color changes. Out of the three, I would like the one that is A. Biggest B. Has the best feeding response and C. Is easiest to care for (Though this last one would only be applicable if I had to entrust their care to another person). I Would greatly appreciate this info, especially from someone who has owned at least two of these species.

Arachnotroik

Arachnosquire
Parabuthus transvaalicus are fairly big for a desert type and i think they are the 2nd largest buthid in the world, behind Parabuthus villosus. Regarding with the best feeding response, I'd still vote for Parabuthus transvaalicus though all of them has a good feeding response which is why i love desert scorpions. Care for the three of them is actually the same, I just keep my androcs a little more drier.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
So I recently made the decision to purchase some hotter scorps. I am torn between these three species, as there don't seem to be any real differences between them besides minor color changes. Out of the three, I would like the one that is A. Biggest B. Has the best feeding response and C. Is easiest to care for (Though this last one would only be applicable if I had to entrust their care to another person). I Would greatly appreciate this info, especially from someone who has owned at least two of these species.
May I ask where you are purchasing these from there are very few people.offering these and one or of them are to be avoided at all costs

I own all 3 species

Transvaalicus is a much better and more active eaters out of those 3

A crassicauda is by far the meanest and has the nicest metesoma

A bi color Is the smallest. They're a tiny species but very cool looking and very active

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
All 3 are VERY different a bicolor is a true black

Crassicauda and transvaalicus will be similar in size but transvaalicus inspire active and eats better again

Bi color is I mentioned is Tiny

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Parabuthus transvaalicus are fairly big for a desert type and i think they are the 2nd largest buthid in the world, behind Parabuthus villosus. Regarding with the best feeding response, I'd still vote for Parabuthus transvaalicus though all of them has a good feeding response which is why i love desert scorpions. Care for the three of them is actually the same, I just keep my androcs a little more drier.
Thanks for the info! Especially the bit about androcs; I wasnt aware they needed a drier setup.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
All 3 are VERY different a bicolor is a true black

Crassicauda and transvaalicus will be similar in size but transvaalicus inspire active and eats better again

Bi color is I mentioned is Tiny
Thanks for the info; didn't know bicolors were so small. I think I'll go with transvaalicus.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
May I ask where you are purchasing these from there are very few people.offering these and one or of them are to be avoided at all costs

I own all 3 species

Transvaalicus is a much better and more active eaters out of those 3

A crassicauda is by far the meanest and has the nicest metesoma

A bi color Is the smallest. They're a tiny species but very cool looking and very active
Thanks for the great info. When you say crassicauda is the "meanest" do you mean that it's the most defensive or it just has the largest metasoma? Also do bicolors tend to stay on the surface more?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the great info. When you say crassicauda is the "meanest" do you mean that it's the most defensive or it just has the largest metasoma? Also do bicolors tend to stay on the surface more?
I only have transvaalicus currently, but I'm in contact with people who have crassicauda. Crassicauda are EXTREMELY hostile towards any intrusion. They will posture and tail flick at slight disturbances. Transvaalicus have absolutely voracious appetites. Mine regularly will take down food almost before it hits the substrate. Because of that, they may mistake a finger or something else as food. Granted, not every specimen of these species will 100% fit these descriptions. Just wanted to share my experience and understanding.
One other thing I should mention, even if I haven't seen it personally... Transvaalicus reportedly have the ability to "squirt" venom, sort of like a spitting cobra. Another thing to be careful about with them.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
I only have transvaalicus currently, but I'm in contact with people who have crassicauda. Crassicauda are EXTREMELY hostile towards any intrusion. They will posture and tail flick at slight disturbances. Transvaalicus have absolutely voracious appetites. Mine regularly will take down food almost before it hits the substrate. Because of that, they may mistake a finger or something else as food. Granted, not every specimen of these species will 100% fit these descriptions. Just wanted to share my experience and understanding.
One other thing I should mention, even if I haven't seen it personally... Transvaalicus reportedly have the ability to "squirt" venom, sort of like a spitting cobra. Another thing to be careful about with them.
Good to know. I almost want a crassicauda to witness that attitude for myself. Tail wagging just sounds so cute.