P. rufilata growth

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a P. rufilata. I have only had it for a few months or not even that. It has molted about 4 times since I have had her. She was really small and then grew HUGE before I could blink. Is this normal growth for this genus?:?

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, I bought a 1" P. pederseni sling about 6-8 months ago, now hes mature(approx 6") and is breeding with my female

Last edited:

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes.

Yes. Poecilotheria are a fast growing family. We had a P. Rufilata male mature out from the sac in 13 months.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, I bought a 1" P. pederseni sling about 6-8 months ago, now hes mature(approx 6") and is breeding with my female
Hmm, I keep and raised many poecs but from 1" to MM in 6 months that is a record in my book
fastest I ever raised from sling to MM 14mo

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
actually maybe he was closer to 2 inches originally, but he grew fast. hes mature now, and already attempted mating

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually maybe he was closer to 2 inches originally, but he grew fast. hes mature now, and already attempted mating
Maybe you got him when he was two inches, or maybe he was a sling? If he was two inches when you received him, he was a juvenile/subadult, not a sling.

I myself have observed very slow growth with my male P. miranda. I received him in July of last year, and he was about one inch. He just molted yesterday, and he's barely three inches. I feel like he decided to be the A. minatrix of the Poecilotheria genus.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ms.X,
I had male P miranda that is 4yrs and 2 months before his ultimate molt
I didnt though he will ever mature
just seems like holding on to old skin for dear life, just did not wona let go
I'd say its nudder natures trick to preserve its self

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ms.X,
I didnt though he will ever mature
just seems like holding on to old skin for dear life, just did not wona let go
I'd say its nudder natures trick to preserve its self
Oh wow, thanks for sharing that, Ana. I was a bit disappointed to find that he was a male because I was hoping to have him around for awhile, but now I see that he will be with me for much longer than I thought! How large was yours when he finally matured? I think xhexdx just had a male P. miranda mature at 4"!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm, I keep and raised many poecs but from 1" to MM in 6 months that is a record in my book
fastest I ever raised from sling to MM 14mo
I have had males mature out that fast before. I think my fastest was closer to 5 months but I have had several mature in the 6 month range.

My male 7 legged rufilata is like that so far. Hes about two years old and only around 3".

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow, thanks for sharing that, Ana. I was a bit disappointed to find that he was a male because I was hoping to have him around for awhile, but now I see that he will be with me for much longer than I thought! How large was yours when he finally matured? I think xhexdx just had a male P. miranda mature at 4"!
Hr is the largest P. miranda male I have seen, he is about 6 or bit bigger
and he never been slowed down always food been available
I bred him to adult females that hatched almost 2 years after he been hatched
probably could be 3rd generation produced by his siblings
haha, he is good looking ancient dude :D

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very interesting information, Ana. I am glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this slow growth within this species. Maybe I'll eventually have a big guy as well. It would definitely be nice to have him around for another couple of years.