P. regius Babies, Help!

rnotherhen

Arachnopeon
Back in April, I'd purchased a Regal jumper. Everything was all fine and dandy, until the spider I had presumed male had babies. I am in no way prepared for this; she has had no interactions with other spiders in my time with her, so I didn't even think of it occurring. I'm from New York and have never seen a regius around here, so I don't plan on releasing them in fear of the potential repercussions to releasing a non-native species into my area.
Needless to say I'm quite worried and definitely panicking. If anyone could guide me in the right direction of how to handle the little critters, I'd really appreciate it.
Also, in my desperate looking from site to site in figuring out what to do, one or two sources implied that the mother dies a short time after the birth of her slings. I have no experience with spider birth so I have no clue as to how true that statement is (but it's an upsetting one, honestly). If someone could confirm or deny that I would highly appreciate that as well.
Thanks in advance, folks!

Duriana

Arachnoknight
are you saying the babies have already hatched, or she just layed a eggsac? P. Regius, to my knowledge, are not native to New York so releasing them could not be a option. There's a great care sheet on jumpers that has a detailed part about baby care: http://kozmicdreams.com/spidercare.htm
The mother would guard her eggsac until they hatch. Not saying They can't die after, but some can even make a second egg sac. So they necessarily don't die right after.

Last edited:

rnotherhen

Arachnopeon
The babies have already hatched, but they're still staying in the momma spider's web. Thank you for the care sheet, and for the reassurance!