P. Regalis vs. P. Fasciata

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Long time no post!

So, I'm finally ready to start in the world of pokies. Trouble is, I'm having trouble deciding between regalis and fasciata. Anyone have experience keeping them both? Pros, Cons of each species? The only Ts I could find would be 1 in. long. (I know, I know, I should just get them both, but it's going to be a Christmas gift from my brother).

Thanks Guys!

Luckie

HESSWA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I have read and heard p.fasciata is slightly more defensive. Other than that there pretty much the same.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's hard to beat regalis. Beautiful contrasty pattern that slightly edges fasciata IMO, easy to deal with, chunky for a poke, affordable.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rob c. has regalis slings for sale i suggest your brother grab 2 to make the shipping worth it or get a regalis and gbb both awesome easy to keep t's ..best starter pokie in my op is a p. miranda

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Every t is different but mirandas arent as defensive it seems as other pokies..youll enjoy that attribute once you witness a pokie teleport, especially if its 6" plus ,regalis can get to 9" so uh yeah

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why don't you elaborate for him why miranda is a good pokie for him? Unless you want me to.

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
rob c. has regalis slings for sale i suggest your brother grab 2 to make the shipping worth it or get a regalis and gbb both awesome easy to keep t's ..best starter pokie in my op is a p. miranda
Thanks, but I already have a GBB. I love her!

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not really a fan of the mirandas. Thanks for the suggestions though, guys! I do find the regalis more striking, but the fasciata looks awesome too! So, I'm more concerned with the husbandry demands. This will be my first pokie, though not my first arboreal, nor fast species. I heard either one will make a great impression, but I still can't decide between the two. As for my brother, I gave him his first T, a B.Boehmei. 2 weeks and now he's wanting to order more! lol

Last edited:

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Price wise you cant beat a P. regalis. Although I am a little bias since my only pokie at the moment is a regalis.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I get it, it's just that with those two species you have to do a double take to tell them apart.

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I understand you not finding a miranda appealing to each their own. In general thought pokies are fast defensive and their venom is potent,same goes for a miranda yet concensus and with mine as well

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is that their more flighty less skittish and not as defensive..POKIES ARE GREASED LIGHTNING just giving a fair warning. Its shocking to see firsthand their speed and ornery attitudes

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion regalis are prettier (more contrast in pattern) and in my experience, they are calmer than fasciata as well. So it's a win-win in those regards.

On the other hand, the only threat pose I've ever gotten from a pokie was a miranda, so your mileage may vary. In terms of attitude, a pokie is a pokie. If you're treating one species different from another just because it has a reputation for being 'calmer' than you're not being cautious enough.

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. regalis, like the others said, is just slightly higher-contrasted with black and white coloration. It also grows a bit larger than P. fasciata.

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, here's what he got

He placed the order last night. And the winner is: P. Regalis! He must have been bitten by the shopping bug, because he also got me A.Avic, another A.Versi, P. Cambridgei, and a H.MACULATA!!!:eek:
This is my first baboon of any kind! Time to hit the search function! I've seen them in photos only, and know that the bite is terrible, but that's about all. Any advice?

nikinizor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't get bit! Compared to the pokies it isn't any worse as far as bite goes! Congrats on the new T's on the way...I was hoping you would get the fasciata only because that is what I am getting on friday(3 slings)...can't wait to see your new crew...

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow getting started with pokies,....and a satan spawn h. mac !!! I know nature boy will say different but please be very very careful with the h. mac ... some on here will say their no worse than any other old world ,.. but they seriously are satan spawn , always be 100% focused around it dont let your guard down ,... it may be calm and docile 99.9% of the time but that one .01% is the time its gonna flip out and try and tag you , your cat , your car , your neighbours haha ok not that bad but youll understand haha,.. If you can handle it and tend and take care of it youll learn alot and be a very well prepared hobbyist , dont think anything will be a problem for you to care for after that,, Oh and they are gorgeous little guys . Your bros a good man helping you out with all these great new additions to the family

luckie_couture

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't get bit! Compared to the pokies it isn't any worse as far as bite goes! Congrats on the new T's on the way...I was hoping you would get the fasciata only because that is what I am getting on friday(3 slings)...can't wait to see your new crew...
I'll get some pic up ASAP.