1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p. regalis sexing time

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by _bob_, Sep 21, 2007.

1. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    I am thinking female but i wanted to see what everyone else thought too. let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-bob

2. lucanidae

lucanidae Arachnoprince Old Timer

NY
    How big is it? If it is over 3.5 inches the coloration and dorsal dark line on the abdomen suggest definite male. Females have much more contrasting colors on the legs and lack that dark line.

3. I am going to agree there is no way that is a female way to dark.

Edit- this is a 4.5" female, take note of the abdomen pattern and color and the over all dorsal coloring. There are very obvious differences.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

its not over 3.5 inches yet but i see what yall are saying though. its a little over 3 inches right now. i wasn't sure at what size the dorsal line would start to turn white like that.

also... i forgot to mention... when this picture was taken it had molted the day before. does anyone have a picture of a female p. regalis at 3 inches?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Ill try to dig one up later but they look almost the same an 1.5" smaller. At about 2.5" they start to separate themselves in color and in molt frequency.

6. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

thanks!

i don't mind it being a male though. that just means more pokies for me!!

edit: i meant to update you on the communal setup. everything is going great right now. they are laying on top of each other and eating around each other also. i did have to take one out though cause it wasn't eating anything. so i was just being safe. i will probably replace it with a different one tonight and see how that goes.

7. Or replace the one you took out once it eats. Good to hear its working so far. Where are the pics?

8. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

yeah thats a good idea... i'll try that... all of them are eating besides that one :?

lemme see if i can get some shots.

one thing i am trying out though is the size of the container. i have notice that a lot of successful communal setups have a high number in them. so im trying a smaller size container with a smaller amount in it. john hoke was telling me he put 50 pokies in a 2 gallon tank with no fatalities. he did tell me to throw all 25 in a tank but i want to start out small first. anyways i have 6 in a deli cup with some cut up cork bark. i want to keep their living area a smaller area so they see each other ALL the time.

9. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im keeping it very simple right now. you can tell which one is the pig. LOL

10. Good grief dude those are big crickets!

11. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

CA
    With 4 regalis babies myself...I am tempted to try this. But then it is risky.

12. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

haha i don't feed them crickets that big. it jumped in there when i dropped a few in there and i just haven't gotten it out. when i throw some in there they like to go wild and start running around the container. so i had to put the top back on it. thanks for reminding me though cause i mean to take that guy out. LOL :8o

13. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

i cleaned up the photo some what. i thought my camera had nice colors but i guess i was wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Still a boy lol. Even with cleaned up pics boy boy boy. :) Do you have any girls lined up?

15. Tunedbeat

Tunedbeat Arachnolord

NC
    The ventral shot looks like a boy to me too.

16. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

yes i do! :) i have 2 girls lined up in town right now.

17. TarantulaLV

TarantulaLV Arachnobaron

I must agree.

18. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

btw thanks guys for all your input :p

19. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron

So she finally molted again lastnight :worship:

Turns out it really is a female. Here's a dorsal shot. I will try and get a ventral in a little bit. I did look at the ventral side and its a definite female :)

;P

[​IMG]

Bob

20. Tunedbeat

Tunedbeat Arachnolord

NC
    Congrats!

This just proved how hard sexing pokies can be, everyone guessed male. {D