P.regalis Husbandry

Retsnom778

Arachnopeon
I will be getting my very first pokie tomorrow(P.regalis 3" female), and I need some reassurance on the husbandry requirements for this species. I have read that this species enjoys its enclosure moist with multiple hides scattered throughout the enclosure. I have also read that they prefer to have varying temperature throughout their enclosure (provided by a small heat mat adhered to the side of the enclosure), but I believe this to be false as they seem like they would thrive at room temperature (70-80 degrees F) Also, if anyone has tips/preferences for dealing with pokies (aka weekly maintenance of the enclosure, enclosure setup, prefered enclosure style, etc) they would be greatly appreciated.

cold blood

Staff member
They do like moisture, but are also very drought tolerant and can be kept dry for extended periods....cover and space are more critical than vertical space. Keep a water dish available.

Dont use a heat mat, the stuff you heard is incorrect....just keep it between 68 and 90....like most ts...they dont need anything specific.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
As for tips, use tongs, always be aware of where the spider is. If its acting really feisty that day you can feed it so itll be distracted while you do whatever maintenance you need to. I've kept my P. miranda bone dry without a problem. Pokies have usually been kept moist in the past, but they're very tolerant to droughts and would do pretty well dry, as long as they have a water dish.