P. Regalis eating habits

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, just wanted to get peoples advice on my 4" P. Regalis, which I bought 5 months ago at the BTS exhibition. It molted within a few weeks of purchase, and was a great eater up until around a month ago, at which point it began to show no interest in food. Surely it cant be in pre-molt again already? I did read online that P. Regalis prefer dry substrate, and will sometimes refuse to eat if the substrate is damp (I do keep it relatively damp), is this true in other peoples experiences?

Also, according to 'the tarantula keepers guide', the vast majority of T's (aside from the obligate burrowers and swamp dwellers) should be kept on completely dry substrate, with reduced ventilation and higher access to water. Is this a good approach to take, as to me it makes a lot of sense?

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Absolutely could be in premolt again. Pokies grow ridiculously fast although a month long premolt seems a bit long for one. How heavily has it been fed?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Does it have a large abdomen? Poecilotheria are fast growers and molt often until they're adults. Like all OW arboreals, they need moderate ventilation and slightly moist substrate (not wet). You don't want a soggy and stuffy cage, and you want to avoid condensation. Outside of slings, I don't mist any of my spiders. Arboreals are accustomed to breezes and do best with cross ventilation. They may develop respiratory problems without adequate airflow.

The latest edition of the TKG was written as the huge influx of tropicals was entering the US, and hadn't reached Canada yet. Stan retired and sold off his collection in the mid 2000's so he could travel around the US during the winter (and escape the brutal cold). His collection was mostly Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, and he never got a chance to own most of what we take for granted as available today. His recommendations to keep spiders dry is based on what he worked with. Most NW and OW tropical terrestrials prefer some moisture in their substrate. Ventilation will vary on the area you live, the annual rainfall, and how much you run your furnace. Those in drier/colder places can get by with a little less ventilation. If you overdo that though, you may have issues with mites or mold, which I guess is why Stan recommends dry substrate, but not all species are going to like that kind of set up. Most tropicals come from high rainfall climates, and there's no need to try to get a collection converted to totally dry substrate. For some that may cause molting problems.

Some of the more experienced collectors and breeders don't like the term 'swamp dweller', and I agree with them. Many tarantulas live in rainforests, and some species have evolved to be more moisture-dependent than others. Theraphosa and Hysterocrates definitely need moist substrate, but that doesn't make them swamp dwellers. All of the Asian terrestrials I've had prefer some moisture in their substrate, as do many South American terrestrials. I give all of my spiders good ventilation and with most will sprinkle some water on the soil before it gets dry. However, this is random and not 100% coverage. I don't like the 'overflow the water bowl' approach, as that keeps one area permanently moist and makes ideal conditions for mites and mold. Actually, because the vast majority of my collection is tropical, the way I look at it is: I keep almost everything on slightly moist soil, with some moister (Theraphosa and Hysterocrates), and some drier (Avics, east and south Africans, Chromatopelma, and Aphonopelma). Everything gets moderate ventilation, with the drier species getting more.

There's been huge developments in the hobby over the last 10 years (more than in the previous 40 years combined), with an incredible amount of new species being introduced, many from remote areas where hobbyists weren't able to acquire them previously. The internet has been a major factor, with information, pics, videos, and forums. Stan's gong to do a 4th and final edition, and no doubt will update the species and care sections to reflect this.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sounds like pre-molt or just seasonal slow down to me. Pokies grow rather fast, I think mine molt every 2-3 months so it sounds like yours is right on schedule for a good molt. Also in the colder months some spiders slow down their metabolism and sorta "hibernate" until the day length increases again. I keep mine with one area slightly moist and a water dish and has have been happy with me for the year I've had it.

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
1-2 medium crickets per week in general, nothing too over the top. Also seems more clumsy when exploring (less sure-footed). Thanks for the quick response!

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

Poec - Thanks for such detailed info, I would say abdomen is of average size, it is by no means overweight but is slender and relatively 'plump'. Those are some things I didn't realise about Stan, it is a great book but is only the experiences of one person at the end of the day, getting a range of opinions is far more credible! I use eco earth, wrung out to the point that there is no excess water escaping, although I think this may be too damp as I have had a few mould incidents. Cross ventilation does definitely seem to be key! The vivs I use atm are custom glass ones, but ventilation is only provided only at the rear, right near the top and doesn't seem very effective, so i'm planning to switch to something more suitable soon!

awiec - wow, I didn't realise pokie molting was so regular! I have just installed additional heating in my room which boosts the ambient temp to around 25[SUP]o[/SUP]c. Hopefully this will increase growth rates to some degree!

awiec

Arachnoprince
1-2 medium crickets per week in general, nothing too over the top. Also seems more clumsy when exploring (less sure-footed). Thanks for the quick response!

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

Poec - Thanks for such detailed info, I would say abdomen is of average size, it is by no means overweight but is slender and relatively 'plump'. Those are some things I didn't realise about Stan, it is a great book but is only the experiences of one person at the end of the day, getting a range of opinions is far more credible! I use eco earth, wrung out to the point that there is no excess water escaping, although I think this may be too damp as I have had a few mould incidents. Cross ventilation does definitely seem to be key! The vivs I use atm are custom glass ones, but ventilation is only provided only at the rear, right near the top and doesn't seem very effective, so i'm planning to switch to something more suitable soon!

awiec - wow, I didn't realise pokie molting was so regular! I have just installed additional heating in my room which boosts the ambient temp to around 25[SUP]o[/SUP]c. Hopefully this will increase growth rates to some degree!
My Tap gets that way when it's about to molt, the muscles are attaching to the new exoskeleton so they can have some difficulties moving around; it looks like they are scratching their claws like cat or that they are slipping on the surface.

sublimejimbob

Arachnopeon
I have noticed that too, the other day my Regalis slide slowly down the glass, legs remaining completely motionless! This was pretty amusing to watch, I suppose it's like climbing, wearing a big, clunky suit of armour.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have noticed that too, the other day my Regalis slide slowly down the glass, legs remaining completely motionless! This was pretty amusing to watch, I suppose it's like climbing, wearing a big, clunky suit of armour.
Oh yeah I would expect a molt very soon then.