P. pulcher lost legs when molted

LunaFluff

Arachnopeon
Hi! When I was away from home this weekend, my Psalmopoeus pulcher molted. When I came home I found his dry molt with three of its legs attached to it. The tarantula now has 5 legs.I know that the legs will eventually regrow, but do you maybe have any ideas why this happened? Is it because the tarantula was stressed ? too cold?

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Most stuck moults happen if:

1. the T took to long to moult and the new exoskeleton started to harden inside the old moult,
or
2. the T was not adequately hydrated during its entire moulting cycle and there wasn't enough fluid between the new and old exo that allow it to slide out smoothly.

These are just two of the causes that are most common, and that we can figure out ourselves. Most how or why's regarding tarantulas is still a guessing game more than science and all we can do is try to prevent it as best we can.

It's important that your T always has access to fresh water, not just when in premoult, to build up a sufficient layer of fluid between the exos. Dampening a corner in the enclosure can help a tad while it's moulting. That's just about all you can do, and accidents like this still happen now and again. Why? No one knows.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As mentioned just make sure it had access to a water bowl and it should be just fine!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Should grow them back, usually one leg is fine but a few can spell trouble. Just make sure it has water like everyone else has said and you will probably see janky looking legs at it’s next molt