P. Platyomma behavior

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can someone who has this species enlighten me a little on behavioral tactics? Mine is 3-31/2" now and I have one of those halved coconut shells in her (? - hoping) enclosure (which she doesn't come out of until I leave the room - grrr). I've had her since December and she's growing very quickly. Am I to assume I will not be able to handle her at all under any circumstances? When choosing which T's to purchase I tried to pick the species I would be able to handle and I don't think I chose to wisely with this one. She is fascinating to watch when I DO get to see her, so I definitely don't want to get rid of her. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into this particular species. Thanks!!

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There a nervous type of spieces and are known to kick hairs as well. If you are a beginner in this hobby then I agree on the chosing wisely on her or if you think you are not ready for this type of spieces.

Windycity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 3 P/V platyomma which I have raised from little .5†slings and they are now about 4â€. They have never shown a predilection to burrow like my P. Antinous juv’s and just hang out in plain sight and wait for the crix to come falling in on which they pounce like little tigers. I keep them in a container about 2x their leg span with no hide and enough substrate for them to burrow if they felt the need. They are a nervous species although they have never seemed stressed in the particular environment in which I keep them.

I don’t handle any of my T’s except for a G. rosea and, if I did, I think these guys are too high strung. That doesn’t mean you couldn’t necessarily, just that the negative reaction for them would probably far out way the enjoyment for you. Why don’t you try removing the hide while also giving them the ability to dig in if they feel the need and just enjoy the view.

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks! I suppose I could remove the hide. I've threatened her already that I would, but I still want to give her some privacy. I'll have to think this over... :?