P ornata sick?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys, my P ornata is acting very strangely. She seems very lethargic and can’t move very easily. She is about 7.5” and she ate three weeks ago. She has some sort of webbing or debris on her eyes. Can anyone shed light on this?

A83ACD56-1A25-4196-BEC1-50E09B01667E.jpeg

For some extra info she has been in this enclosure and set up for about three years, hasn’t moulted recently. She often hangs out on the log and she was fine just a few days ago. Today I filled up her water bowl and offered her one Dubia roach which she refused. Rest of my tarantulas in the room are all fine.

I’m worried about her, I had a 6” regalis die of DKS a few years ago which really sucked. Not saying this is the same thing just that I’d be really upset if anything happened to her.

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Have you tried to walk around while blindfolded? Chances are you're very careful so you don't bump into things, so she's probably just scared that she can't see. :bag:

In all seriousness, she is quite chubby. Slow, clumsy movement can be an indicator of pre-moult, as is refusing food. I would suspect she's getting ready to moult.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I concur with pre molt, nothing seems that out of the ordinary IMO...they can move around in strange ways at times. Keep an eye out for some heavy webbing and make sure she has access to fresh water.

Good luck.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've mistaken premolt for some kind of sickness more than once. I wouldn't worry about it.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I disagree that she is having trouble moving due to vision. Tarantula eyesight is very poor, they can generally can only tell simple shapes and the difference between light and dark.

Agree pemoult it the most likely thing. I tend to get paranoid easily, better safe than sorry ae =) This morning she is in her hide so I’ll wait and see what happens. Thanks for humouring me guys

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hey guys, my P ornata is acting very strangely. She seems very lethargic and can’t move very easily. She is about 7.5” and she ate three weeks ago. She has some sort of webbing or debris on her eyes. Can anyone shed light on this?

View attachment 287055

For some extra info she has been in this enclosure and set up for about three years, hasn’t moulted recently. She often hangs out on the log and she was fine just a few days ago. Today I filled up her water bowl and offered her one Dubia roach which she refused. Rest of my tarantulas in the room are all fine.

I’m worried about her, I had a 6” regalis die of DKS a few years ago which really sucked. Not saying this is the same thing just that I’d be really upset if anything happened to her.
If it was dks she would probably fall and lose grip. Could you observe her more?

Nvm congratulations on molt!!!!:jimlad:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, interesting. Think I remember seeing plenty of purple without flash too. I figured they grew out of it, thanks.
No problem

I’ve actually never seen purple on her before, I’ve had her since 5”. What size is yours?