P.ornata sexing

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thought I would post a comparison between immature female and male Poecilotheria ornata.
You can clearly see the differences on the carapace markings (Lack of markings on the male) and the clear white outline on the females folio on the abdomen.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice .......do you have other Poecilotheria that you can compare like this?

I was just reading about some P.regalis and how you can sex them like this too .......but none had any good shots

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only really rely on ornata for this type of sexing. The others can throw curve balls...

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I generally only use this method for ornata unless the spider is close to maturity. On some I check ventrally, but only sell sexed females/males from moult sexed spiders.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Very nice .......do you have other Poecilotheria that you can compare like this?
There's been threads on this before. Ornata's the most obvious Poec to sex immatures by colors/markings. With a few others, like vittata, male's colors will start to fade prior to maturity, but to a lesser degree. Understand that one shed can make a big difference, and many people have screwed up by relying on color/markings alone to sex juvenile Poecs.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The female moulted about a week before the male and I was really not sure if is was a female. But after seeing the 2 next to each other (And her exuvium) I could confirm that these are a pair. Many people have been fooled in the past.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The female moulted about a week before the male and I was really not sure if is was a female. But after seeing the 2 next to each other (And her exuvium) I could confirm that these are a pair.
Exactly. They really need to be at the same instar so you can do a side-by-side comparison. If a female's one molt behind, she might look like a male, or vice versa. With siblings it's much easier. When you start mixing different ages and sizes to sex, you can easily make wrong assumptions.

John Chu

Arachnopeon
Thought I would post a comparison between immature female and male Poecilotheria ornata.
You can clearly see the differences on the carapace markings (Lack of markings on the male) and the clear white outline on the females folio on the abdomen.

how big are the both of them when this was taken?

John Chu

Arachnopeon
This thread is quite old (posted 2014), but you should be able to reliably tell male from female dorsally as small as 3-3.5" diagonal leg span.

See this thread as well: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/poecilotheria-ornata-sexual-dimorphism.280879/

What do your reckon my specimen is? Really hard time sexing him/her. :( Post molt picture around 3-4 days after. 3.5" in DLS now