P. Muticus Too Shy.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
Ever since I transferred my P. Muticus into a taller enclosure she has dug a cave and closed the entrance and hasn't been seen since. I know this is a normal thing for these T's but its so sad because shes is such a beautiful spider. Any tips for feeding? i don't exactly know how to approach this, I don't want to disturb her cave but I need to feed her.

cold blood

Staff member
This is the one species that I will actually open a burrow up from time to time to offer food unless I know for a fact that its in pre-molt.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
Okay I was just worried if i should just leave her alone until she opens it herself but she doesn't ever come out. I'll be feeding her tonight thanks for the help.

I'm having the same issue with my A. Seemani He went into his hide early winter and I haven't seen him since he filled the entrance every couple of days I spray the substrate in the entrance so he can drink from inside but he hasn't eaten since he went in. Should I do the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm having the same issue with my A. Seemani He went into his hide early winter and I haven't seen him since he filled the entrance every couple of days I spray the substrate in the entrance so he can drink from inside but he hasn't eaten since he went in. Should I do the same thing?
I wouldn't for that species. But instead of spraying, pour water, specifically on the edges of the enclosure so you can see how deep the water is seeping. The idea is to keep the bottom parts of the sub damp...its less important to have the surface damp.

WillyNilly418

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't for that species. But instead of spraying, pour water, specifically on the edges of the enclosure so you can see how deep the water is seeping. The idea is to keep the bottom parts of the sub damp...its less important to have the surface damp.
ahh okay thank you will do.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Be sure to keep the sub reasonably moist, as cold blood said the bottom layers should never dry out completely. Flood the burrow(slightly) with some water on occasion and they will drink directly from the sub if thirsty.

These spiders are so reclusive that they often seal themselves in their burrows for no real reason. Makes it difficult to gauge pre molt at times, definitely open up the burrows entrance and try feeding.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have a G. pulchripes that is the same way, it's hide is always sealed. Blasted thing has only come out once since August. It does eat well though, I just take a disabled roach and kind of dangle it on the substrate sealing the hide so it's legs are wiggling and if Fluffy is hungry the roach gets grabbed through the dirt. I only give it a minute or so and if the dirt doesn't start moving I take it out and try again in a week. Sure would like to see what that spider looks like now, it must have molted as it took it's first roach in 2 months yesterday.