P.muticus sling wont eat! help!!

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
Hello, so i got a new sling order from tarantulacanada (it went great!) i even got a freebie from them which was cool, but anyway 1 of those was a p.muticus along with a n.tripepii and b.boehmi, the 2 are eating amazingly like the tripepii will literally take down anything i throw in there and same with the boehmi but the muticus will absolutely NOT eat and she wouldnt even burrow for like the whole 2 weeks i had the T i gave it plenty of tight deep coco fiber i had to make a man-made burrow and she went right in it, but anyway she has a very small abdomen especially compared to the other slings i got her size and thats one way i tell when to feed is when there abdomens start to get a bit smaller, she looks like she could really use a cricket/mealworm or something but she wont i try every 3 days or so and she will not show any interest any reason why? and any tips? ive seen things about muticus being stubborn eaters just seeing if i can get any info from you guys on here, she is about abit under 1 inch id say!

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
Pics help quite a bit. You should try leaving some prekilled prey in there overnight and see if she takes to it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What a long sentence that is wow-- where's the question.

There's nothing we can do to make it eat. Some slings don't make it, who knows.

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
she is pretty small i cannot upload a pic rn shes deffinetly under 1 inch and has a fairly small abdomen id say like my tripepii sling is only a small bit bigger and she has muuuuuuuuuuch bigger abdomen because she has eaten several times while this one has not eaten sience ive had it, i also have tried leaving pre killed prey in there many times it worked with the very very very small b.albopiloslum freebie they gave me!

There's nothing we can do to make it eat.
the whole thing is the question xd ill try use proper grammar, and i know that but i want to try find out the reason of her not eating and what i should be doing about it as in if i just keep trying over and over again like i am not or change something or what ?

There's nothing we can do to make it eat. Some slings don't make it, who knows.
like is there something wrong also, or is it just the species that literally goes over a month as a sling without eating ? it worries me cuz ive read some slings u can feed up to twice a week

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
she is pretty small i cannot upload a pic rn shes deffinetly under 1 inch and has a fairly small abdomen id say like my tripepii sling is only a small bit bigger and she has muuuuuuuuuuch bigger abdomen because she has eaten several times while this one has not eaten sience ive had it, i also have tried leaving pre killed prey in there many times it worked with the very very very small b.albopiloslum freebie they gave me!
What's her humidity level at? Lots of people keep them dry, but I find they do much better with a dry top layer and a slightly damp middle and bottom layer.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
out the reason of her not eating
Unlikely you'll figure that out, Ts are black boxes w/8 legs. we know very little about them. Recent acquisitions can take weeks to get used to a new home before eating. In my case, I've never had a sling that didn't eat the day it arrived, w/one exception.

When you type out a stream of consciousness w/out grammar, it makes it hard for the readers to follow what's going on at times. Other people won't even bother to sift through everything.

You'd get a much better response rate if you put down your thoughts in an organized manner that is easy to read.

You really can't expect people to read through all of that- it takes time without grammar.

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
What's her humidity level at? Lots of people keep them dry, but I find they do much better with a dry top layer and a slightly damp middle and bottom layer.
i do a light spray every few days i dont keep my slings dry because i read slings do better like that rather then dry but not too wet to keep mold away! I try keep the walls wet because i do not leave a waterdish and they always drink from the walls and so does a leopard gecko i have which literally will not drink from a waterdish so i have came to the conclusion that Ts and certain reptiles etc find it alot easier to drink from wet surfaces rather then a bowl what im doing is working with great with all my other slings my obt is in pre molt my other slings eating alot doing fine its just this muticus i dont understand what is going on

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
i do a light spray every few days i dont keep my slings dry because i read slings do better like that rather then dry but not too wet to keep mold away! I try keep the walls wet because i do not leave a waterdish and they always drink from the walls and so does a leopard gecko i have which literally will not drink from a waterdish so i have came to the conclusion that Ts and certain reptiles etc find it alot easier to drink from wet surfaces rather then a bowl what im doing is working with great with all my other slings my obt is in pre molt my other slings eating alot doing fine its just this muticus i dont understand what is going on
It sounds like you might have bad ventilation then. Try upping that and see how she does in a week or two.

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
Unlikely you'll figure that out, Ts are black boxes w/8 legs. we know very little about them. Recent acquisitions can take weeks to get used to a new home before eating. In my case, I've never had a sling that didn't eat the day it arrived, w/one exception.
all the other Ts i got in same package are eating like crazy. i want to make sure this muticus is getting good care its like one of my fav species i love them i think there awesome. is it normal for a sling to have a very very small puny abdomen like veryy small and not eat? like im talking wont touch pre killed over night show 0 interest i keep away from her to not cause stress. i just wanna figure out why and what i need to do

It sounds like you might have bad ventilation then. Try upping that and see how she does in a week or two.
What makes u think i have bad ventilation ? i actually might and will check it out i keep them all in a big closet because i have lots of room and its nice and dark in there for em but they have lots of holes so the water can evaporate and they can breathe

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just because a lep gex doesn't drink from a bowl, has zero to do with your Ts. There are animals that drink from wet surfaces, not bowls, or require movement of the water to drink.

I have raised leopard gex, they all drank from a bowl, and so have many others. There's always exceptions of course. Not all Ts drink from bowls, or they seemingly forget they have a bowl. I've noticed this.

Regarding spraying- it's pretty useless because you don't know when a T will drink, so either you have kept the walls constantly wet, or your misting is really hit/miss. For an adult, that's not an issue at times, for a sling it is.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Never had a P. muticus because they are pet holes. But my friend used to have one, but one thing is for certain, comparing abdomens to another genus is retarded and is a newbie mistake (No offense). Almost all the P. muticus I have seen have rather slim looking abdomens, even as adults. My friends P. muticus seem small on its abdomen, but it is rather large for a P. muticus because it is well fed. I think you are just overdoing it, just calm down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is it normal for a sling to have a very very small puny abdomen like veryy small and not eat?
No, unless it molted. Again, you haven't owned it very long. Just because the others are eating has little to do w/another. They are independent events, and different species, etc etc. You could try a small mealworm piece.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow tarantula Canada gives good freebies , p muticus is like $50 for a 1-2” specimen here .
Wet substrate king baboon dosnt usually drink from bowls , unless dehydrated enough to make it there .
Mine wasn’t a let hole after it’s last molt, it had big problems, I had a thread on it. Plan on getting more of these someday maybe some chilobrachys.
Does it have deep substrate?
Give it a few days to settle then try , maybe even place pre killed infront of burrow??

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
It could have easily been fed enough before it got to you. Plus all sorts of other factors that have been previously mentioned.

Just as example though, my P. muticus sling has decided to burrow itself away from the outside world, and sealed off it's home. It won't take any food whatsoever right now. It's perfectly fine. Granted, I got lucky and it decided to burrow next to the side of the enclosure, so I do have the ability to check in on it. Even when I first got it, it has been a bit of a slow roller, eating about half as often as my other slings.

But yeah, sometimes it just takes a little patience.

Last edited:

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
It could have easily been fed enough before it got to you. Plus all sorts of other factors that have been previously mentioned.

Just as example though, my P. muticus sling has decided to burrow itself away from the outside world, and sealed off it's home. It won't take any food whatsoever right now. It's perfectly fine. Granted, I got lucky and it decided to burrow next to the side of the enclosure, so I do have the ability to check in on it. Even when I first got it, it has been a bit of a slow roller, eating about half as often as my other slings.

But yeah, sometimes it just takes a little patience.
that is EXACTLY what my obt sling has done, but before she did that she made a little hammock on the side of enclosure ditched it and sealed off her burrow but recently after a while sealed off the opened it up but has yet to come outside and ok u think i should just keep trying to give her food every week or so? and no they told me there feeding schedules and she has a very small abdomen u can tell she has not eaten in a while prob a month or so

No, unless it molted. Again, you haven't owned it very long. Just because the others are eating has little to do w/another. They are independent events, and different species, etc etc. You could try a small mealworm piece.
ive tried that aswell left over night no success... its weird its been a whiiiile sience i got it i hope nothing is wrong

it has very deep substrate it wouldnt even dig for a while so i made a burrow for her and put a leaf over it and thats where she hangs out but hasent expanded it at all but has made slight webbing, ive tried every single feeding method nothing works yet all my other slings are killing everything on sight >.>
Wow tarantula Canada gives good freebies , p muticus is like $50 for a 1-2” specimen here .
Wet substrate king baboon dosnt usually drink from bowls , unless dehydrated enough to make it there .
Mine wasn’t a let hole after it’s last molt, it had big problems, I had a thread on it. Plan on getting more of these someday maybe some chilobrachys.
Does it have deep substrate?
Give it a few days to settle then try , maybe even place pre killed infront of burrow??

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
As far as the P. murinus goes, mine only did that when it wasn't used to the enclosure, then settled for down on the bottom, and then sealed itself off when it molted. The P. muticus took at least 4 weeks before it finally got 'settled'; made it's own burrow and continued to expand it. But that's my particular sling.

I agree with viper69. It seems you are making unnecessary comparisons between one sling and the others. This one is just doing it's thing. And as Liquifin said, you probably just need to calm down. Continue to observe, offer it food every few days. Rinse and repeat.

milkytokes

Arachnopeon
As far as the P. murinus goes, mine only did that when it wasn't used to the enclosure, then settled for down on the bottom, and then sealed itself off when it molted. The P. muticus took at least 4 weeks before it finally got 'settled'; made it's own burrow and continued to expand it. But that's my particular sling.

I agree with viper69. It seems you are making unnecessary comparisons between one sling and the others. This one is just doing it's thing. And as Liquifin said, you probably just need to calm down. Continue to observe, offer it food every few days. Rinse and repeat.
alright ill keep doin what im doing now then and see how it goes thanks guys !@!!

Bree24

Arachnosquire
I’ve been told that it’s not uncommon for slings to go weeks or months without eating. Word of advice to ease your stress: your T knows best. Unless it’s been more than a couple months, you shouldn’t worry about her.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What's her humidity level at?
:banghead:
all the other Ts i got in same package are eating like crazy. i want to make sure this muticus is getting good care its like one of my fav species i love them i think there awesome. is it normal for a sling to have a very very small puny abdomen like veryy small and not eat? like im talking wont touch pre killed over night show 0 interest i keep away from her to not cause stress. i just wanna figure out why and what i need to do
Lets see some pics of your specimen and the enclosure you have set up.