P. muticus appears to be in poor care

Radcla4832

Arachnopeon
When I went to a store to get some locusts I noticed that the P. muticus there was out of its hide, all the times i've been there it has been hiding, it also had cuts with appeared to be bleeding and had 2 live crickets wandering around inside, its in an Exo Terra Nano. Also next to it is two different spiders, an LP and L. klugi in tall glass exo terras with what appeared to be sand and moss as substrate. The store also recommends heat mats, should I ask them about the P. muticus next time I go?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yikes. Definitely kindly mention the husbandry errors.

basin79

ArachnoGod
When I went to a store to get some locusts I noticed that the P. muticus there was out of its hide, all the times i've been there it has been hiding, it also had cuts with appeared to be bleeding and had 2 live crickets wandering around inside, its in an Exo Terra Nano. Also next to it is two different spiders, an LP and L. klugi in tall glass exo terras with what appeared to be sand and moss as substrate. The store also recommends heat mats, should I ask them about the P. muticus next time I go?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with heat mats PROVIDING THEY'RE USED RIGHT as with any other heating source.

But the rest yes. Personally I'd email them or contact them on their social media pages. Nothing gets things sorted like a social media post in my opinion. But I'd email them first with your concerns and remedies.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Personally I'd email them or contact them on their social media pages. Nothing gets things sorted like a social media post in my opinion. But I'd email them first with your concerns and remedies.
Sadly, a social media post involving poorly kept tarantulas won't elicit the same amount of outrage as other animals. It'll probably get comments like "kill it with fire" or "the only good spider is a dead one."

sasker

Arachnoprince
Notify an employee of the shop about your concerns regarding the poor condition of the P. muticus they are keeping, tell him about the wounds and how the setup is completely wrong. Tell him you are sceptical about the chances of this spider's survival, but you are willing to give this spider a chance. Except not for the price they are currently asking. Say that you are willing to pay 10% of the price, and that this is more than the shop would get when the tarantula dies in a few days.

You get a fantastic spider, the tarantula lives and the shop gets at least some of its money back. Thats a win-win-win in my book :D

Radcla4832

Arachnopeon
Sadly, a social media post involving poorly kept tarantulas won't elicit the same amount of outrage as other animals. It'll probably get comments like "kill it with fire" or "the only good spider is a dead one."
The sad thing is how they are treated as non-animals, how would they respond if I said something like "the only good dog is a dead one" under a post of an injured dog?