P.muticus aka king baboon housing

Torres Torres

Arachnopeon
I bought a p.muticus spiderling and Im really confused about the housing, my friend and other keeper have a shallow substrate with hide and his T is very comfortable with it.

Mostly, I read on P.muticus caresheet that they require a 4-8" substrate and let the T burrows it.

All I want to know is why this obligate burrowing T is very comfortable with a shallow subs with hide on it. And I will worry if this T will burrows deep on its substrate :(

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And I will worry if this T will burrows deep on its substrate :(
What are you saying? :)

They are the quintessence of 'obligate burrowers', it's absolutely normal if they 'burrow and disappears'. You should be (and seriously) worried about an obligate burrower that doesn't.

As I love to say always, don't buy obligate burrowers if 'you' can't stand this v

Ephebopus murinus burrow.jpg

For that this is what 'you' will see 95% of the time, with those kind of T's :angelic:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You can keep them many different ways. However, I don't keep mine with too much burrowing depth. As some will burrow to the bottom, block off the entrance and not come up for food/water.

This has lead to many keepers having casualties, as they assume the spider is in pre molt and don't attempt to feed for quite some time. Eventually the spider dehydrates and ends up dead, this seems to be a more prevalent issue with smaller specimens.

You can set it up with very deep substrate, many have had success doing so. Just be aware of the potential issues that may arise, and keep your eyes peeled for any unusual behavior.

Torres Torres

Arachnopeon
You can keep them many different ways. However, I don't keep mine with too much burrowing depth. As some will burrow to the bottom, block off the entrance and not come up for food/water.

This has lead to many keepers having casualties, as they assume the spider is in pre molt and don't attempt to feed for quite some time. Eventually the spider dehydrates and ends up dead, this seems to be a more prevalent issue with smaller specimens.

You can set it up with very deep substrate, many have had success doing so. Just be aware of the potential issues that may arise, and keep your eyes peeled for any unusual behavior.
Tnx!!

Torres Torres

Arachnopeon
What are you saying? :)

They are the quintessence of 'obligate burrowers', it's absolutely normal if they 'burrow and disappears'. You should be (and seriously) worried about an obligate burrower that doesn't.

As I love to say always, don't buy obligate burrowers if 'you' can't stand this v

View attachment 257449

For that this is what 'you' will see 95% of the time, with those kind of T's :angelic:
Becuz this T is very appealing me.. tnx anyway

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't buy a muticus if you're looking for a active spider you'll see every day. I've see mine out of it's burrow in its own exactly once in the last 4 years. Raised from 1".

I can't recommend giving it a ton of substrate to burrow in from my personal experiences with the species. Go for about legspan for these guys, maybe even slightly less.