P.murinus male ?

†-MarK-†

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello people , i need a quick answer ..

This p.murinus was sold to me as female ..
it just molted tonight and i have a bad feeling about the gender .
What do you think ? It's about 4'' now .

miarachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't really tell from the pics, but i would say it is most likley a female.
Males usualy mature at 2" to 3". IME.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Does it have hooks?
If it dosn't and is around 4" it is most likely female.
My male matured at about 3"
I am really bad at sexing tho.

†-MarK-†

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No hooks , but my friend had 2 mature males one was 3,5'' , second one was around 5'' ( it was tcf and i'm not lying i saw him in person, big boy for a P.murinus )

Last edited:

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm no expert but I have been doing some sexing research/practice so I'll tell you what I think and you can make up your own idea.

1. From the last picture, I see no spermathecae. Another molt pic will help. Check the skin, do you find a flap between the anterior book lungs?

2. EF sexing: I see something that kinda look like EF BUT the belly curvature is very female-like. Yet, the book lung distance is pretty close and that points MALE. And OBT is one of those bright belly case which makes it very hard to sex using the EF method. Your pic need a bit more focus in the EF area to see properly. Even if with the focus, it will be hard to see so I'll stick more to my number 1 prediction.

3. From the first pic, it is not leggy. But again, leggy/not leggy is very subjective.

So ya, I DO think it is a male.

†-MarK-†

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm afraid this is the best i can do for now , i'm getting a new camera tomorrow with a better macro , so i will try to take some new shots tomorrow , but i'm pretty sure now that is a male .

Last edited:

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's a male, and have seen males in the 5" range give or take a little. Most of the time a male will be a MM by 3.5" but not always. I have also heard that if the stock they originate from has been in-beed that it may be the reason for small MM's. To add to this I have had MM P. regalis from 3" to 6". Will we ever know for sure?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To add to this I have had MM P. regalis from 3" to 6". Will we ever know for sure?
I have a 6" male that is not mature. :eek: He's going to be a big big boy.

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Let me guess, you never saw one that big so I'm full of it? How many years have you been keeping T's, according to your profile your 26 and you did 8 years in the Marines 4 years active 4 years reserve. Now you can't join unless your 18 with few exceptions, early graduation being one, so possibly 17. I'm currently 33 and also a Marine I got out when I was 23 and have been keeping T's since, and had interest in it much longer than that, over 20 years of interest.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

There was no hidden meaning, I really have a 6" immature male regalis.

And I got my first T when I was 10. She will be 17 this fall and she is still going strong.:)

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh I was not sure if their was or not, I have 2 8" females 1 7" female and a few between 5-6", a nice 6"+ male would be great for a breeder loan later if interested, I have a decent track record breeding this sp. large egg sacks of 150+ eggs but only getting 40-60 slings on average per female 7-8" ones.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have done ok this year so far with 8 regalis sacs averaging about 140 per sac. 160 something being the high.
If I can get my timing right I will have 2-3 females for him when he matures.
Lol I think I shot the moon with breeding these guys this year. I still have 2-3 gravid ladies as well. :) But I will be backing off regalis some and turning toward miranda, metallica, ornata, and more rufilata this fall.

Oh and I have three MM's that are just sitting here if you need one now.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I'm going with male, basically for the reasons testdasi said: don't see a spermathecae and there seems to be EF on the ventral pic. And remember what Yoda said: "size matters not."

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big are they and can you ship Monday. I have 2 at this time but I like to use multiple males for a better genetics.

Fishstix

Arachnopeon
take a pic of the pedipalps. Also, surely there must be hooks under the first pair of legs