P. murinus losing hair around legs

MsParker

Arachnopeon
I've had my OBT for a couple years now, I'm not sure what the sex is. I'm thinking it's a male because the abdomen is small like a male's would be, but then again my T isn't active like males usually are. I've been having problems with this T. It fasts quite a bit, not as much as my G. porteri does, but enough that I think there's something wrong with my OBT. It also stopped webbing, where as before it would act normal and web all the time and always change its home. I have it on shredded coconut fibers, my house is kept around 71 degrees, the terrarium is dry all the time, humidity is very low, I offer it food every week but most of the time it refuses to eat, and now its hairs around its legs are falling out. I know that can mean the T is stressed out, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why. This is my favorite T and I want it to live! I appreciate the help, thanks.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, they are among the best fast growing Theraphosidae available out there, so I say yours is a female. I mean, it's not rare at all to purchase a sling and then, not even after two years, end with a MM.

So since you said 'couple years now' I think yours is a 0.1 but anyway, post pics if you can. Pics of the Theraphosidae, pics of the set up, enclosure etc so we can give you a better insight.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My MM Grammostola pulchripes is losing his hair too... from his carapace mostly. I think that we usually don't notice hair loss, because they are moulting on a regular basis and it is replenished with the new exoskeleton. I started noticing around the 9 month mark of his maturity. Now, it has been 14 months and he is looking a bit shopworn. His abdomen still has all it's hair, though.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I've had my OBT for a couple years now, I'm not sure what the sex is. I'm thinking it's a male because the abdomen is small like a male's would be, but then again my T isn't active like males usually are. I've been having problems with this T. It fasts quite a bit, not as much as my G. porteri does, but enough that I think there's something wrong with my OBT. It also stopped webbing, where as before it would act normal and web all the time and always change its home. I have it on shredded coconut fibers, my house is kept around 71 degrees, the terrarium is dry all the time, humidity is very low, I offer it food every week but most of the time it refuses to eat, and now its hairs around its legs are falling out. I know that can mean the T is stressed out, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why. This is my favorite T and I want it to live! I appreciate the help, thanks.
Abdomen size has nothing to do with gender, so don't rely on that as far as sexing is concerned.

P.murinus have always been great eaters IME, sounds unusual for it be refusing food, especially if it's really skinny as you say.

Sounds more like mature male behavior to me, losing setae on the legs is also common with MMs towards the end of their lifespan.

Post some pics if you can, were pretty much guessing without them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree with MM. Sounds like and old boy in the final stages.

MsParker

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the replies. You were all correct I finally got a good look at him yesterday (he came out of hiding) and he has tibial hooks. :( I'm quite sad about it, but in the end every living thing dies and I'm happy he's had a good, though short life.

Attachments