P.Murinus bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No luck involved. You're not familiar with cameras. His finger is at least several inches from the OBT. Show this video to a YouTuber who does camera reviews and such and they will easily debunk it as fake. Maybe Tony Northrup?

The blood looks like red water paint.
"several inches", man?

Here we can see that one of the legs is basically on the nail v

2017-09-18_181343.png

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
No it isn't. You do not understand depth of field. People take pictures all the time of rattlesnakes on a hook and the snake looks huge and they post the pic claiming it's over nine feet. It's a depth of field trick.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I watched the video expecting to see the OBT clamped onto his finger. I never saw that because it never happened.

There won't be a bite report because no bite occurred. If he attempts to leave a bite report it should be removed.
Dear seven Hells,
please let it rain face-palms. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kendricks

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Also troll is gonna troll no matter what screen shots you show to them but I got this really great screen cap while pausing and thought it'd be a waste not to share it.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
No it isn't. You do not understand depth of field. People take pictures all the time of rattlesnakes on a hook and the snake looks huge and they post the pic claiming it's over nine feet. It's a depth of field trick.
By the way, jet fuel can't melt steel beams! EVER THOUGHT OF THAT? NO? YEAH WELL... DUH! :eek:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
C'mon guys, enough is enough. I don't know why you're criticizing the OP? Heck, during my police career every time they issued new firearms I shot myself with it to make sure it would really work if I used it. That's a thing right???

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Watch well those screenshots considering how much "insanely fast" can be a pissed off to the Zenith level P.murinus (because you know how much defensive and fast they are since you keep/have kept those, right?).

Because clearly Shampain88 pissed off (to say the least) the bugger... or didn't happend as well even that?

Consider this, then you are free to think that was a 'staged/fake' event.

I fail to realize what there's to "Debunk" (such a big word/term to use btw, since we aren't talking about science, vaccines, 'Fake News' or else) into a spider bite, a thing that can happens, when, actually, someone loves to keep spiders and other venomous inverts at home.

Granted, I have reasons to believe that 99.99% of the users here wouldn't do something like that, but every of us, despite our level of experience etc, are technically at "bite risk", always.

Your point, aside saying "didn't happened", "you know nothing of cameras" or mentioning "video edit/technology guru", what is, one moment, man?

Because for 'Debunk' something, words only aren't enough.

At least if you said something like: "Shampain88, upload the picture of Docs medical report, thanks" that would had been 'reasonable' (still not everyone keeps everything).

You are the one that need to prove, with facts, what you are saying :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
C'mon guys, enough is enough. I don't know why you're criticizing the OP? Heck, during my police career every time they issued new firearms I shot myself with it to make sure it would really work if I used it. That's a thing right???
Right and while training to be a doctor you have to perform a spinal tap on yourself so you can tell everyone it hurts real bad.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
I watched the video expecting to see the OBT clamped onto his finger. I never saw that because it never happened.

There won't be a bite report because no bite occurred. If he attempts to leave a bite report it should be removed.
I was expecting some backlash but not this... Copy the video link go onto YouTube skip to 35secs and put playback speed to .25 and you'll see it on my finger... sigh...

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I think you're dramatically overestimating the brainpower that went into this vid. You're way on the wrong end of the bell curve with this.
No offense, Shampain. :rofl:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think you're dramatically overestimating the brainpower that went into this vid. You're way on the wrong end of the bell curve with this.
No offense, Shampain. :rofl:
LOL, that's what I was thinking too.

If he were to pause the video, jump to 34 sec mark, then on the video speed setting turn it down to .25 and press play you can see the thing come out and get all over the dude's hand. Then the screaming and crying starts up.

I see those "Hey Dude hold my beer!" type vids all the time. Not a lot of high end video trickery going on there. :D

Last edited:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I think this was a terribly stupid and selfish thing to do. I don't particularly care about your well-being, but what if you had been allergic or had some kind of preexisting condition that caused you to be seriously injured or worse? And then if that made the media, how do you think that would impact the hobby? There may already be a record of the fact that your hospitalization was caused by a tarantula.

The only reason this hobby is able to exist is because it is mostly under the radar of lawmakers. Stunts like this have the potential to draw attention that we definitely do not want.
we all agree it was stupid, but at the very least it can be used as a Reasoning when trying to explain to new hobbiest and keepers why they SHOULDNT jump the gun on these guys.

too many times people rush into OW's(at one point i was a culprit of this myself) and honestly this video might steer them away from them a this. i know if i had seen this a while back, i would have had second, third and even fourth thoughts about getting a OBT when i did.
me, and many people like me, we know its back, but theres only so much text on a screen can really convey when it comes to bite reports and such. actually SEEING the pain and hearing/seeing a fully grown man visibly tremble and cry, and want to go to the hospital is a much bigger eye opener then just reading the worlds "extreme pain in the appendage that was bit, lots of nausea and constantly sweating"

it has so much more of a profound effect in video form like this.

sure its dumb, and even a little selfish, nobody is doubting that, but HOPEFULLY this video can be used to prevent other, less experienced owners from having this happen and having a more detrimental effect on the hobby.

because honestly, whats worse then 1 Adult male getting bit and going to the hospital?
1 adult male getting bit, throwing the tarantula, Then 1 Child getting bit as well as the Family dog, and having it all over the news that a "vicious highly venomous Pet spider kills 2 and injuries one in a suburban home"

essentially, Dumb? yea. Stupid? yes. Should he have done it? no. was it selfish? sure yea.
but at the same time, can this be used to help the hobby and community? Yes.
could this potentially steer younger/less experienced/ new hobbiest from rushing into OW's? Yes.
Can this be used in an Educational way? Yes.

and on top of all that, can this, as a group of similar hobbiest, use this every now and then to get a good laugh? Yes.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon
No luck involved. You're not familiar with cameras. His finger is at least several inches from the OBT. Show this video to a YouTuber who does camera reviews and such and they will easily debunk it as fake. Maybe Tony Northrup?

The blood looks like red water paint.
You're totally right. Obviously you should create a proper video of you actually getting bit by an OBT so you can prove to everyone how fake this is!:troll:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

You know Theraphosidae jump right?

Obvious troll is obvious.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
You know Theraphosidae jump right?

Obvious troll is obvious.
I don't think so, Andrea.
While it is difficult to grasp for sane people, there are a ton of meat bags out there that really believe the weirdest and most absurd things, seeing a conspiracy in and behind absolutely everything.
They don't do this to rattle anyone's cage, they firmly believe this, due to mental health problems.

It's not funny, nor trolling - just really sad.
And a bit creepy...

:anxious:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think so, Andrea.
While it is difficult to grasp for sane people, there are a ton of meat bags out there that really believe the weirdest and most absurd things, seeing a conspiracy in and behind absolutely everything.
They don't do this to rattle anyone's cage, they firmly believe this, due to mental health problems.

It's not funny, nor trolling - just really sad.
And a bit creepy...

:anxious:
The lengths people will go to feed their drama llama. :(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Kendricks
While I usually enjoy your snippy remarks, implying someone who makes posts like the one I quoted in previous post does so because of mental illness goes a little too far for me. Being mentally ill does not equate general ignorance or a need to instigate arguments ;). I work with mentally ill people, believe me, being ignorant is not a common trait among them. A lot of my clients are people that have a college degree, and some score as highly intelligent people.
So I do not take offence because you call SingaporeB ignorant, (although personal attacks are forbidden on Ab) but I do protest someone is dumb and therefore mentally ill.
Nuances and shades matter, nothing and nobody is black and white ;)

Last edited:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Nuances and shades matter, nothing and nobody is black and white ;)
Oh, I could not agree more!

To clarify, and defend myself a little:
I wasn't claiming to make an accurate and/or professional diagnosis of his actual mental state and assumed it was obvious that I am just trying to point out how ridiculous his claim, that the videos are fake, is.
It's a little like saying "Wow, that's retarded!" - not mean it literally.

That being said, I do wonder indeed what is wrong with people that do see a conspiracy behind everything, even if there is nothing to it at all.
I am not sure it is really just ignorance, which is a rather broad term as well and can be interpreted quite colorful. I could imagine that mental health can indeed play a role.
Paranoia comes to mind, for example. So maybe, while I wasn't serious and putting too much thought into this, I wasn't even that far off?

In fact, I just fed google with that, and it seems there's a lot to it, but I won't look further into it at this point, nor make any claims - just pointing it out.
Also, since you work with people suffering from mental health issues, you do know the broad variety of them, and the very different levels of severity.
I did not say the guy above is a psychopathic lunatic about to go on a killing spree, I just mentioned mental health issues in general, or rather: That was my intention - I just worded it rather badly, I think.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
See, I looked past the 4-5 times in the past when you left one of your typical remarks, but by now it becomes a little annoying.
If you wish to talk about anything personal/private, I have a PM box.
Eh, about as annoyed as I was when I read your post calling someone mentally ill and creepy based on the two posts they made that was not really creepy or seemed to indicate abnormal mental state.

I got a PM box too but you still posted here... go figure.

Oh, I could not agree more!

To clarify, and defend myself a little:
I wasn't claiming to make an accurate and/or professional diagnosis of his actual mental state and assumed it was obvious that I am just trying to point out how ridiculous his claim, that the videos are fake, is.
It's a little like saying "Wow, that's retarded!" - not mean it literally.

That being said, I do wonder indeed what is wrong with people that do see a conspiracy behind everything, even if there is nothing to it at all.
I am not sure it is really just ignorance, which is a rather broad term as well and can be interpreted quite colorful. I could imagine that mental health can indeed play a role.
Paranoia comes to mind, for example. So maybe, while I wasn't serious and putting too much thought into this, I wasn't even that far off?

In fact, I just fed google with that, and it seems there's a lot to it, but I won't look further into it at this point, nor make any claims - just pointing it out.
Also, since you work with people suffering from mental health issues, you do know the broad variety of them, and the very different levels of severity.
I did not say the guy above is a psychopathic lunatic about to go on a killing spree, I just mentioned mental health issues in general, or rather: That was my intention - I just worded it rather badly, I think.
It's not uncommon to find a lot of faked videos on YouTube. In this case he was wrong. Suspecting someone of making a fake video doesn't make one a conspiracy crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Eh, about as annoyed as I was when I read your post calling someone mentally ill and creepy based on the two posts they made that was not really creepy or seemed to indicate abnormal mental state.

I got a PM box too but you still posted here... go figure.
Well, thank you for supporting my point, I could not have asked for a better example.

Suspecting someone of making a fake video doesn't make one a conspiracy crazy.
Except when there is not a single piece of evidence to support this silly claim.
Fake videos man, fake videos everywhere!
Better look out for shampain playing us all like puppets! :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.