1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P. metallica

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by sheila, Oct 9, 2019.

1. sheila

sheila Arachnopeon

Utah
    Advertisement
    I have a 3” P. metallica that I just put up a picture in vent sexing since it always destroys its molts. So if you are good at sexing them, feel free to go have a look. But I actually do have another question. Somebody once told me, and I don’t know if there is any truth to it, that once a P. metallica matures, one of the sexes turns black. Is that true? If so, would that be male or female?

2. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Yes, my female, pictured left is my adult female. You can see she has a lot of greys and dusky blues and blacks.

3. sheila

sheila Arachnopeon

Utah
    So far everyone is saying mine is a boy! Guess that is both good and bad. Shorter life, but nice blues.

4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Some...not all...females can turn almost black.

5. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I don’t think it is “when they mature” as much as just as they age. I could be wrong, but i believe it is a gradual process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Yes with mine it happened over three to four years or so. My girl is about 9 years old and about 6 inches DLS.

7. sheila

sheila Arachnopeon

Utah
    Thank you everyone! Does anyone know on average, how long a male lives? He is only 3” now. Hatch date 12/2017