P.Metallica sling won't eat.

Ghost in Souls

Arachnopeon
I got a P.Metallica around 1½ weeks ago, waited for 6 days and tried feeding it a large, it was only after that, that I realized the mealworm was way too big so I cut it in half and left it in the sling's web. After a day it took the headless end of the worm and the other half escaped and buried itself. I tried feeding it again after 3 days and it didn't take it so I left it on the web, but it still hasn't taken it. After 4 days I tried feeding it again, this time with only half of the mealworm, the half with the head, it didn't take it so I left it on the web, it's been a day now and still no success. I thought about premolt but the abdomen was not as chubby as when I got her, and no signs of premolt. Just in case if you're wondering, hadn't found the time to buy small crickets.
Picture one is her eating a half mealworm
Picture two is the front view of her enclosure
Picture three is her dead mealworms, the recent one on the left and the old one on the right
Picture four is my hand next to her
Picture five is the back of the enclosure FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3326.JPG IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3329.JPG

The Seraph

Arachnolord
From what I can see, that abdomen is very full so she is probably in premolt. Is this your first spider?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
She's pretty big and is probably not eating because she's in premolt. Tarantulas can get full and not eat for a month up to a year and still be healthy so don't worry about it for now.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
A tarantula that size only needs one prey item every week to ten days. It's quite full and it might be several weeks-a couple of months-until it is hungry again.

Ghost in Souls

Arachnopeon
Ok, thx guys, I think I'm being overdramatic, its just I love P.Metallicas, don't want anything to happen to her

BTW, this is not my first spider, it's just I'm not good with arboreal tarantulas

A tarantula that size only needs one prey item every week to ten days. It's quite full and it might be several weeks-a couple of months-until it is hungry again.
I don't think that is true... it's a sling dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
At that size it’s definitely big enough to fast. It might also be premoult. Either way it’s fine. IME my girl was in premoult for at least six-eight weeks at that size. Yours is borderline “juvie” size, or will be next moult. Since it’s hard to determine where exactly old worlds are in their moult cycle, offer prey again in another couple of weeks to see if she is hungry.

TarantulaLover69

Arachnopeon
she's pretty fat , you should try to feed it a little less, i like my arboreal species to have abdomen that is the same size as their carapace or slightly smaller , so in case she falls or something happens it will be less likely to rupture and get hurt, also i do think she's in premolt , you should also try to vent the enclosure abit more because it looks too moist in there.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your spider is FAT. Remove all the dead prey, keep a water dish full and leave it be.

So?

Spiders can only eat so much until they get full. Whether that happens quickly from frequent feedings or slower from spaced out feedings isn't important. If they get full quicker, they may fast longer until a molt.