P. metallica sling tips

agep4

Arachnopeon
So iv raised a few slings now (fossorial and teresstrial) however I decided I wanted to try my luck with something a bit different, I chose an arboreal species that I was interested in and it turned out to be the P. metallica, it is a tiny little fellow with a leg span of about 1.5cm, currently I have it in a critter keeper with a substrate of biolife mixed with coco fibre as it seems to keep a nice humidity however not only is this my first arboreal sling but also my first Asian species and I easily worry. It also has a chunk of cork bark to climb on, I however usually raise fossorial baboons and this really is something new too me (also I have raised some new worlds from tiny slings). I’m easily worried about my slings as I take them as a personal challenge and I am yet to have one ever pass away and so was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the care of this species, I’m contemplating moving it back into a sling vial as I’m worried that the critter keeper may be too large (it’s just all I had and the vial seemed almost too small). I understand that they’re very nervous little nocturnal spiders and so this may be why it seems to be less enclosed to feed than my fossorials have but I like things that eat fast, it makes me more confident aha! Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Niko77

Arachnopeon
So iv raised a few slings now (fossorial and teresstrial) however I decided I wanted to try my luck with something a bit different, I chose an arboreal species that I was interested in and it turned out to be the P. metallica, it is a tiny little fellow with a leg span of about 1.5cm, currently I have it in a critter keeper with a substrate of biolife mixed with coco fibre as it seems to keep a nice humidity however not only is this my first arboreal sling but also my first Asian species and I easily worry. It also has a chunk of cork bark to climb on, I however usually raise fossorial baboons and this really is something new too me (also I have raised some new worlds from tiny slings). I’m easily worried about my slings as I take them as a personal challenge and I am yet to have one ever pass away and so was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the care of this species, I’m contemplating moving it back into a sling vial as I’m worried that the critter keeper may be too large (it’s just all I had and the vial seemed almost too small). I understand that they’re very nervous little nocturnal spiders and so this may be why it seems to be less enclosed to feed than my fossorials have but I like things that eat fast, it makes me more confident aha! Any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!
Enclosure looks great! Don’t worry too much they’re good eaters and fast growers, she’ll be twice that size in a month. Try and dry out the substrate a bit tho they like to make dirt curtains sometimes and may even burrow, as long as you have a water dish you’ll be good for humidity and won’t need to mist.

Good luck with your first Pokie!

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
That looks like the vial in the picture. If that is the "keeper" then as Niko said, looks fine (hopefully the top piece has vent holes). An alternative would be a 16 oz deli cup. Gives you space to put in some cork bark, plus a small water dish. As to moisture, they're drought tolerant, but that doesn't mean to keep them bone dry. Slightly damp with cross ventilation is the way to go imo.

I highly recommend using the search function here on these boards. There is a wealth of information posted about Poecilotheria in general, as well as P. metallica, which can be of great use to you.

I wish you the best of success, so that your sling survives and lives a good life.

Last edited: