P. metallica sling care (feeding)

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
I agree normally haven’t had too much issue but have had exactly 2 both metallicas that just wouldn’t eat for anything. After a week of the damn fruitflies they were back on track it was just a suggestion that I have had success with not an absolute.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wasn’t talking about when spooked whenever I’ve had a poc in a top opening cage they run up! I primarily keep arboreal and have a lot of experience with P. metallica I own several and breed this species. A tall enclosure with front opening doors has been my go to and seldom causes running. In fact I’d say never as I’ve had zero escape attempts since using this enclosure type. As small slings I’ve had two that would not eat pin heads or chopped anything but ate flightless fruitflies like crazy for a few weeks then we’re able to eat crickets. So for a sling that just will not eat sometimes you have to resort to what you can get them started on to kickstart instinct. Preferable to losing a sling over not eating. I way prefer crickets or worms weather chopped up or otherwise and I’ve never had a gooty eat roaches until adulthood they just don’t seem to go for them not saying they won’t as hey I’ve got some serious premadonna picky eaters but other than from old age haven’t lost a T in my entire time of keeping them.

I wasn’t referring to when spooked I was referring to keeping arboreal on top opening enclosures period because after they are spooked and run down they quickly run back up and if there is opening out risking an inexperienced keeper of tree dwelling species getting spooked and either allowing T to escape or pinching T’s in top lid. I agree with fruitflies being horrible feeders but as I stated earlier I’ve used them for small slings that weren’t eating with pretty good success in that species. Not for long periods of time but to get them eating something.
You have lots of experience yet have never lost a tarantula? Bs.

Don't suppose you have photos of this large P metallica group, and of all the sacs you get.

Tbh, you come off to me as full of it.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
You have lots of experience yet have never lost a tarantula? Bs.

Don't suppose you have photos of this large P metallica group, and of all the sacs you get.

Tbh, you come off to me as full of it.
Well sorry you feel that way I haven’t lost any that’s just the truth I have posted several pics of my P. metallica slings and communal that you can find on boards here I don’t need to spend my time proving anything to you I offer advice and that’s what it is not attacking you or saying that your not knowledgeable just giving advice based on my experience to be taken as such. Obviously you are the go to on all things tarantulas so I suppose we shall all bow down to your throne as you wake in the morning and piss excellence. I will continue to be full of it and you can continue to believe me or not but no advice I have given would hurt a T and I assure you that if a better viewpoint is given I give credit where it is due and acknowledge others better ideas with other species I’m much less familiar with. Don’t know why anything I have said has upset you so much but if your feelers are truely hurt then I humbly apologize for it and understand that it must be difficult living with such thin skin on a daily basis.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: Disagreement and debates are allowed, but please address the points being made without attacking the person making them.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I agree. It was my mistake getting P. metallica as my 2nd tarantula. I can't even open its enclosure. But then I will do my best to take care of her.

I will definitely try cricket. Thanks for the tips. :)
Following advice on this forum I set up smaller enclosures for the tiny slings, I regret it because every time I add food or water I have to allow for the fact that the sling is probably going to escape. I don't worry too much because I place the enclosure into a larger tub with a lid when feeding, but it is a hassle basically rehousing every time. If you're worried about opening the enclosure, definitely do so in a larger tub, if the sling escapes you can put the lid on and not engage in a chase that escalates. If you feel it may escape on you and it makes you too nervous to open the enclosure perhaps a larger enclosure is warranted, just make sure you place the food where the sling can easily find it. The added advantage will be that you won't have to rehouse it as many times. I'm no expert, it's just a suggestion based on the experiences that I have had with a flighty sling.

cold blood

Staff member
Following advice on this forum I set up smaller enclosures for the tiny slings, I regret it because every time I add food or water I have to allow for the fact that the sling is probably going to escape. I don't worry too much because I place the enclosure into a larger tub with a lid when feeding, but it is a hassle basically rehousing every time. If you're worried about opening the enclosure, definitely do so in a larger tub, if the sling escapes you can put the lid on and not engage in a chase that escalates. If you feel it may escape on you and it makes you too nervous to open the enclosure perhaps a larger enclosure is warranted, just make sure you place the food where the sling can easily find it. The added advantage will be that you won't have to rehouse it as many times. I'm no expert, it's just a suggestion based on the experiences that I have had with a flighty sling.
I think you mis-interpreted that advice.

The advice for small slings in small enclosures is specifically for NW terrestrials. And these tend to not be escape risks.

Arboreals can and should be started out in larger enclosures with significantly more room and cover and never be put into a very small enclosure.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
You can leave dead feeders in for up to 24-36 hours then remove them or it'll start to be a mold problem.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I think you mis-interpreted that advice.

The advice for small slings in small enclosures is specifically for NW terrestrials. And these tend to not be escape risks.

Arboreals can and should be started out in larger enclosures with significantly more room and cover and never be put into a very small enclosure.
Well the slings in question are ow terrestrials(1/4 to 1/2"), in a larger enclosure (4" diameter) they do hide, but in a small enclosure they panic and bolt over the edge of the enclosure, almost every time.
The point I wanted to make to the op was that if you're too scared to open the enclosure you should probably upsize.
The reduced prey/predator interaction doesn't outweigh the positives of being comfortable feeding and maintaining the sling imo.
But you have basically said this in your reply anyway.
At least the thread might be back on track now!!! :)