1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P. metallica sling care (feeding)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Arjay Alba, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Arjay Alba

Arjay Alba Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello!

I am new in trantula keeping and just got my first tarantula, a 3in mexican fireleg (no problem with her) about 3 weeks ago and my 2nd one just arrived 2 days ago, a P. metallica sling.

I tried to feed my sling a "baby" lats and it was weak when I put in the enclosure because I slightly crashed the lats with the tongs. My Pmet just ignored that lats. This morning I put again another lats she (hoping) again ignore it. Should I tong feed her? Should I take away the dead lats? I read they will eat killed insects to grow faster I worry about her. She is 1.5cm only.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. crystalfreakkk

crystalfreakkk Arachnopeon Active Member

If she is a sling then it's possible that she is in premolt. They molt quite frequently when they're younger then less so as they age. From what I understand the P. Metallica is quite a fast grower so she might not eat much at all that small. What is a lats?

3. Arjay Alba

Arjay Alba Arachnopeon

Thanks. We call Turkestan cockroaches lats here in our country.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. crystalfreakkk

crystalfreakkk Arachnopeon Active Member

If you only got the sling two days ago I would let it breathe for a second, get comfortable in it's new environment and try to feed it after a week or so. I just bought three slings and only one of them has eaten and two have molted since I got them and that was like two weeks ago. Just give it time, try to feed it about once a week and make sure it has water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    Are you sure you're ready to take care of a pokie? They're a pretty advanced species, have potent venom and have some good speed. They're usually only recommended for experienced keepers and this is your second T. Also post a pic or two of your sling so we can take a look and see if it is in premolt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Active Member

None of my poecs will eat roaches. No idea why.

7. Arjay Alba

Arjay Alba Arachnopeon

And I am wrong. This night I was able to put a meal that really runs in the enclosure. They have close encounter but she ignored the roach. Sorry the photo is bad. I cant really open the enclosure to permit light.

So what do you gave them for food?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  8. Greasylake

Texas
    Crickets probably get the best feeding response because they move around a lot. I've seen my Ts take crickets a lot faster than roaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sana

Mine always eat crickets. Some of them will eat mealworms or horned worms but not all of them. These guys are my second pickiest genus as far as food goes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnosquire Active Member

P. metallica already?? you have some determination, my best advice is that if any pokie starts to sprint on you. Stay calm and don't freak out. Panic is an equivalent of inexperience/unprepared keeper.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Arjay Alba

Arjay Alba Arachnopeon

I agree. It was my mistake getting P. metallica as my 2nd tarantula. I can't even open its enclosure. But then I will do my best to take care of her.

I will definitely try cricket. Thanks for the tips. :)

12. Sana

Poecs can be a handful even for an experienced keeper. What’s done is done but you may find that you’ve got a problem on your hands. If you’re having some trouble with opening the enclosure that’s not likely to be a lot of fun for you or the sling. You can always sell or trade and try again with the species later. Poecs grow very quickly and don’t have a lot of space for mistakes. Their only defense mechanisms are to run or bite so they are VERY fast and their venom is EXTREMELY potent.

13. Jhawk023

Jhawk023 Arachnopeon Active Member

Try after molt to move it into a cage with front opening doors they tend to run up so that makes it a little easier to manage. Crickets are best for this species as they are softer and they will scavange feed them. As really small slings I use flightless fruitflies they love them and it’ll get their hunting instincts up.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

*Lack of restraint.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/poecilotheria-care.291471/

15. Jhawk023

16. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    When spooked, poecs tend to move down IME. Fruit flies aren't great feeders either...they are nutrient deficient. Pre killed crickets or meal worms would be your best option for smaller slings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Jhawk023

I wasn’t talking about when spooked whenever I’ve had a poc in a top opening cage they run up! I primarily keep arboreal and have a lot of experience with P. metallica I own several and breed this species. A tall enclosure with front opening doors has been my go to and seldom causes running. In fact I’d say never as I’ve had zero escape attempts since using this enclosure type. As small slings I’ve had two that would not eat pin heads or chopped anything but ate flightless fruitflies like crazy for a few weeks then we’re able to eat crickets. So for a sling that just will not eat sometimes you have to resort to what you can get them started on to kickstart instinct. Preferable to losing a sling over not eating. I way prefer crickets or worms weather chopped up or otherwise and I’ve never had a gooty eat roaches until adulthood they just don’t seem to go for them not saying they won’t as hey I’ve got some serious premadonna picky eaters but other than from old age haven’t lost a T in my entire time of keeping them.

I wasn’t referring to when spooked I was referring to keeping arboreal on top opening enclosures period because after they are spooked and run down they quickly run back up and if there is opening out risking an inexperienced keeper of tree dwelling species getting spooked and either allowing T to escape or pinching T’s in top lid. I agree with fruitflies being horrible feeders but as I stated earlier I’ve used them for small slings that weren’t eating with pretty good success in that species. Not for long periods of time but to get them eating something.

18. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Never had a Poecilotheria go up when spooked. Down or around the sides? All the time.

Fruit flies are poor feeders. I'd never use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

My AF vitatta goes up, but she's literally the only pokie I have ever had that does this at any size.

Agreed, terrible feeders...fine for an occasional snack, but not good for regular feedings at all...plus there is no bigger pain in the butt feeder out there.

IME small pokies are splendid eaters, I have hatched sacs of them and they are always spectacular eaters from the get go....never had to pre-kill for them either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Greasylake

Texas
    I fed my Fimbriatus sling isopods until he was large enough to eat crickets. I guess it's kind of unconventional but they wriggle their legs around a lot and it was the best feeding response I got from my sling.

• Like Like x 1