P.metallica sling behavior question.

stnick80

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a little 1 inch P.metallica sling. I have a question about its behavior. I was doing my normal feeding today and I noticed that when I put crickets into the little metallicas vial that it would tap its legs over and over at the cricket. She (hopeful) would even chase them for a little bit tapping the whole way. She would even tap them if they got to close. My only guess could be pre-molt. I have over 50 other tarantulas but I've never seen another behave like that during pre-molt. She is big n' fat and I think she is due for a molt. All the rest of my T slings just run away when they are in pre-molt. Has anybody else observed this behavior? Thanks

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, i also have a sling and it only did that with pinheads the first week in my care it would eat fruit flies but not pinheads it would chase them and tap them... so i thought maybe they were too big and then it molted and i started offering pinheads again and it quickly devoured them, and it does eat them even 2 days before it molts:eek: so pre-molt in slings lasts for 2 or 3 days IME. Hmm it's either the pinheads are too big, it's taking its' time to settle in it's new home, or it should molt one of these days.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds correct, it might be going into a molt soon so that could explain the tapping..its almost like shewing them away...lol i would just make sure you add moisture and sit and wait

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine has done the same thing when its in pre-molt. Just make sure there's plenty of moisture and let her do her thing. :)

swade655

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallicas

I have 4 of these guys..... at first they wouldn't take anything, then I e-mailed the dealer and he informed me that they were given only mealworms........ so my dubias and pinheads were new to them.... there was a lot of prey tapping, but give it time, they will adjust.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my p. regalis do the same thing when in pre-molt or prey too big. i don't think you have to worry.

uh, i sooo much hope to get a metallica this weekend :drool:, but my dealer has not yet confirmed that he got them :wall:. plus, my boyfriend's cat hurt herself bad and as he's not here at the moment i had to pay about 400 $ :eek: for all the trips to the vet!!! so we'll have to see about this... :(

at least the cat made it and is doing fine again. :)

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe this goes without saying, but if your T is indeed in premolt you should really remove any crickets from the vial, so they won't snack on your helpless Avic. This behavior isn't uncommon. I only have 6 T's, and I have observed this multiple times.

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, my avics kick prey out of her web, while my smithis run away, maybe because the avics have a nest to defend, but the smithis don't.

stnick80

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe this goes without saying, but if your T is indeed in premolt you should really remove any crickets from the vial, so they won't snack on your helpless Avic. This behavior isn't uncommon. I only have 6 T's, and I have observed this multiple times.
I always remove crickets from my Ts who show no interest. It's the lack of interest for food with the species that have a less obvious pre-molt that usually tells me that they are in fact, in pre-molt. I knew this spider was probably in pre-molt judging by the amount of food it has ate, the size of it's opisthoma and the fact it has not yet molted in my care. I was just questioning whether this was a common behavior with either the genus or the particular species. I have 6 Avicularia and I haven't yet observed this behavior in them yet. It must be a pokie thing. Perhaps an aboreal thing but I have yet to observe this in any other genera I keep.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the p.metallica slings i have i interesting little guys.fierce predators :D

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Avic. versicolor sling does the same tapping thing with roaches just before molting and a for a couple of days post-molt, patience is key. When she is ready she comes out of her nest and snatches up the roaches no problem. :) dont worry, your T is normal.

Ryan Reynolds

Arachnopeon
Do P. metallica slings usually make webs? I have two, one sits at the top of the enclosure, and the other hides in a crack in the bark.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Do P. metallica slings usually make webs? I have two, one sits at the top of the enclosure, and the other hides in a crack in the bark.
My P. met was never a heavy webber, he mostly webbed the entrance to his bark tube, and sometimes a bit heavier webbing if he was in premolt. I wouldn't worry too much if they don't web, as long as they have a hide to retreat to.