P. Metallica restricted sales question

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Does anyone see the metallica being added to the list of non interstate sales in the near future? I dont want to miss ever owning one, but also wasnt planning to get any until maybe next year. If they are going to slap restrictions on them, I will bite the bullet and get a few before I miss out.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not for a while. But it's probably coming.

They went for the Sri Lankan Poecilotheria, logically next would be the Indian.

You have plenty of time though.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Not for a while. But it's probably coming.

They went for the Sri Lankan Poecilotheria, logically next would be the Indian.

You have plenty of time though.
Ok, I just dont want to miss out on this awesome species. I guessing they will put out a notice in advance like they did the other species?

I been keeping NW for 2 years now. Worked with OW of a few friends helped feed, ect. , but never owned any OW. I think I will get a few before they laws get too bad and prices inflate so high.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ok, I just dont want to miss out on this awesome species. I guessing they will put out a notice in advance like they did the other species?

I been keeping NW for 2 years now. Worked with OW of a few friends helped feed, ect. , but never owned any OW. I think I will get a few before they laws get too bad and prices inflate so high.
yeah, itll cause panic in the states and everyone will start posting about it more or less non stop for months. cant miss it tbh.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
yeah, itll cause panic in the states and everyone will start posting about it more or less non stop for months. cant miss it tbh.
LoL, just like before they banned the other ones.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, poecilotheria aren't much different tbh. Just worse venom.

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Its coming.Snowball effect...Hopefully the "authorities",give us the heads up a year ahead,
and every T keeper in every U.S state,who has a Pokie thing can load up with as many
as your space and wallet can afford.From different gene pools would be good.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is inevitable that the rest of the Pokies end up regulated. It is just a matter of when.

I was able to get a P. subfusca HL literally hours before the ban went into effect. If you're worried about getting them before they become the target of new legislation, just go ahead and get them now.

I have kept both p. pulcher and p. irminia, my p. irminia was over 4 inches.
My adult female P. metallica is way calmer than any of my Psalmos have ever been. My P. met slings are like little tornados, though, whereas my Psalmos slings bolt for their web tunnels.

Bender

Arachnopeon
Can someone explain why it’s just a matter of time before the rest of the pokies will be regulated? And why a few are already?

Would this effect both UK and US?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Can someone explain why it’s just a matter of time before the rest of the pokies will be regulated? And why a few are already?
Because of how little they actually know about the hobby, this was done with the intent to restrict all importing of wild caught Poecilotheria, due to them being endangered in their native range. The thing is, this genus hasn't been exported in ages, pretty much all our spiders in the hobby now are the result of several generations of captive breeding. They dont want any hobbyist's making money breeding/selling these tarantulas anymore either, so all the work will no longer be worthwhile for the breeders that we have left, which is quite counter intuitive...and will just create an agenda and demand for some unsavory individuals to go out, collect, and then export more into the hobby. Literally makes no sense.

I wouldn't count on the other Poecilotheria species getting banned, it is possible though. There was a lot of backlash from this recent conundrum, and we can only hope that they got the message, and will instead look to either preserve their natural habitat, or create breeding programs in India...and then release more specimens back into the wild.

Restricting sales in the US for more captive bred Poecilotheria species will only serve to have the opposite of desired effect.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Another quick note to add..it is not a violation to have these Poecilotheria species in your possession.
Its ok if these animals were in your collection before the act went into effect.
For clarification..interstate is crossing a state line,i.e going from Colorado to New Mexico.
Intrastate is commerce within the same state i.e Denver to Boulder.All within the same state.

I can sell P.smithi slings to an individual in Boulder,from Denver( we are in the same state,Colorado)
but could not sell that same sling to an individual in Santa Fe( different state).However,strange as this
seems,i can give,loan(no money exchanged) that same sling to the individual in Santa Fe.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Another quick note to add..it is not a violation to have these Poecilotheria species in your possession.
Its ok if these animals were in your collection before the act went into effect.
For clarification..interstate is crossing a state line,i.e going from Colorado to New Mexico.
Intrastate is commerce within the same state i.e Denver to Boulder.All within the same state.

I can sell P.smithi slings to an individual in Boulder,from Denver( we are in the same state,Colorado)
but could not sell that same sling to an individual in Santa Fe( different state).However,strange as this
seems,i can give,loan(no money exchanged) that same sling to the individual in Santa Fe.
Then the Santa Fe person could pay your petrol money. ;)

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Can someone explain why it’s just a matter of time before the rest of the pokies will be regulated?
P. metallica was one of the total of 11 species listed in the original petition put forth by WildEarth Guardians to USFWS, and iirc that was almost 10 years ago. So, according to a USFWS rep I talked to when the Sri Lankan decision was made, the other 6 didn't make the cut to be put under the protections of the ESA (Endangered Species Act), due mainly to budget restraints. They also said they'd probably get around to it but it would be years before that would happen.

Plus. the US and Sri Lanka have again proposed to get the entire genus under Appendix II of CITES which would then create a different situation than the current one, although as far as I could tell, Sri Lanka and the US haven't gotten any better data since last time, so it might not go through, again.

So, there are things that are in motion, and have been for a while that will eventually play out, just not sure as to exactly when they'll be put in place.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Then the Santa Fe person could pay your petrol money.
Right,or I could sell that person in Santa Fe a G.pulchripes for $100.00:wideyed:,its a really,really nice pulchripes
and throw in a free P.smithi sling as a freebe,i.e gift.
The question remains,would I need paperwork to document I received no profit for the P.smithi.
I don't think it will come to that.
There wont be an official government "spider package checker",at every shipping center.The intent
of the act is to remove any profitability from the illegal poaching of wild Poecilotheria.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Its coming.Snowball effect...Hopefully the "authorities",give us the heads up a year ahead,
and every T keeper in every U.S state,who has a Pokie thing can load up with as many
as your space and wallet can afford.From different gene pools would be good.
I’d guess that we won’t get anymore warning than we did last time. After all, these species were the original focus and the legislation on the other Poec species seemed to come from nowhere.

My adult female P. metallica is way calmer than any of my Psalmos have ever been. My P. met slings are like little tornados, though, whereas my Psalmos slings bolt for their web tunnels.
I agree. All of my adult Poecs are quite a bit calmer than my Psalmos. The Psalmos are jittery. The Poecs are lightning fast when they want to be, but are rather chill.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Right,or I could sell that person in Santa Fe a G.pulchripes for $100.00:wideyed:,its a really,really nice pulchripes
and throw in a free P.smithi sling as a freebe,i.e gift.
The question remains,would I need paperwork to document I received no profit for the P.smithi.
I don't think it will come to that.
There wont be an official government "spider package checker",at every shipping center.The intent
of the act is to remove any profitability from the illegal poaching of wild Poecilotheria.
I like your thinking. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO here in Europe 'Pokies' will never be regulated - unless someone decide for make an 'international crap agreement' like CITES, for instance, that's remain and is a U.S problem only :bored: