P.Metallica Question

Jin Hu Lampasa

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new to the tarantula hobby. Recently, I've noticed that my p.met has been staying in the same spot near the bottom of the tank with minimal to no movement. The little guy's piled up some substrate on top of web and just stays there. It's been three days now and I'm concerned if it's safe to feed him at this time.

Should I be concerned? Is it okay to feed him/her?

P.S. I know it's not an arboreal enclosure, but I'm working on it.

Attachments

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I know you already said you're working on it but please get a proper enclosure for it ASAP.

Seems like it has found a spot in it's temporary home that it is ok with. Pokies make "dirt curtains" quite often, and this appears to be a small version of that. As to feeding, yeah it should be ok. Just remember to remove the prey item after 24 hours if it hasn't been eaten.

Last edited:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
its probably fine. i had the same problem with my obt. it stayed in the same spot for about a week then starting webbing. as said above get it rehoused and give it time without disturbing it

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
It like won't eat anyway. P. metallica are one of the worst beginner species there are, not only because of their venom but because so many die at the hands of new keepers. They are very sensitive to their environment and if the enclosure isn't set up right a lot of them just hunker down in one spot, never feed, and then just die. I've seen it this year alone 3 or 4 times...

I strongly suggest you get it a proper arboreal enclosure in the right size, fitting for a sling, right now. Any kind of small cup with some cork bark will do. DO NOT set it up in a large terrarium - as I said above, it will not work.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Only Avic types NEED a true arboreal enclosure...other arboreals like this, tend to live at ground level.....as long as it has adequate space and something to get under, it will be fine.

That said....a beginner with a pokie:banghead: Terrible decision.:sorry:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Let’s hope the op knows what they were getting into lol as far as speed and venom goes

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
hey man if you cant take care of it ill take it...dont worry free of charge;). BUT real talk these guys need good care take the advice given here

Jin Hu Lampasa

Arachnopeon
Aye, I got it rehoused. He/she seems to be doing well now in her new enclosure.

I think I can handle it. (gulps)

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Aye, I got it rehoused. He/she seems to be doing well now in her new enclosure.

I think I can handle it. (gulps)

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I'll take anything I can get at this point.
next time u have to rehouse, do so in a larger bin preferably in some place like a bath tub. u should be fine as long as u have good reflexes lol but never open the cage all the way unless doing maintenance and always only when u know where the spider is the whole time.