P.Metallica Pairing

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, i have two mature female pmet and 1 mature male can you give me advices for breeding. Also i have a gbb pair but ill try with my pokies first. My pmet enclosure is divided in to two so that the female can see the male, is that considered as cohabitation? pls dont hate, i just want some advice/protips. This would be my first time pairing and i want it to be safe. Ive also done some research but i want it to come from you guys. Thanksss!

Anyways guys, is this normal for my MF pmet. She seems kinda blackish.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Anyways guys, is this normal for my MF pmet. She seems kinda blackish.
Its normal, males tend to have brighter blue colors than the females.

Can't comment about pairing as I still haven't paired any of my pokies.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
This isn't hate, but genuine curiosity - how long have those T's been in those enclosures? The male and female in the split setup, I mean. It doesn't look like either one have been in there very long or even attempted to settle in. Did you just move them into that split tank setup? It seems rather bare to boot, and the female looks like she may be too large for it to be completely honest, let alone trying to introduce the male in the same space. Very little room to maneuver, which could make or break whether or not the male gets out alive.

It wouldn't be considered cohabitation really, but split enclosure setups are really hard to perfect to avoid one of the Ts getting into the other side of the enclosure, and are generally not recommended. They seem more trouble than they're worth, honestly. We've got quite a few threads on here detailing keepers thinking they had their split enclosures properly secured, just to come home and find out the hard way that they didn't. I suppose it's less of an issue for a mature pair of the same species you're wanting to breed, but it'd be pretty rotten for things to go down while you're not there, even more so if things don't go in the female's favor. It's not common by any means, but males becoming defensive and attacking/killing females isn't unheard of. Just some food for thought.

Iirc Poecis are usually incredibly tolerant of one another and people will sometimes stick the male in the female's enclosure and allow them to cohabitate for several days without issue. The most I can say on the topic of breeding without having any first hand experience myself is to keep an eye on what's happening and whether or not the female is being receptive of the male or aggressive towards him (and vice versa). Don't have distractions, i.e. a movie playing that you're paying attention to, or fiddling with a camera trying to get the action on film - your focus should be on watching the two Ts and how they're responding to each other. Be ready to intervene if things start getting nasty. If the prospect of possibly having to try splitting up a pair of squabbling Poecis is daunting to you, maybe hold off on this pairing. I don't think I'd recommend pairing up old worlds for your first go, but pairing GBBs will be a task as well since the females are notorious for munching the males.

Last edited:

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
This isn't hate, but genuine curiosity - how long have those T's been in those enclosures? The male and female in the split setup, I mean. It doesn't look like either one have been in there very long or even attempted to settle in. Did you just move them into that split tank setup? It seems rather bare to boot, and the female looks like she may be too large for it to be completely honest, let alone trying to introduce the male in the same space. Very little room to maneuver, which could make or break whether or not the male gets out alive.
actually that pic is 2 months ago hahaha here is sone updated pic of them :)
It wouldn't be considered cohabitation really, but split enclosure setups are really hard to perfect to avoid one of the Ts getting into the other side of the enclosure, and are generally not recommended. They seem more trouble than they're worth, honestly. We've got quite a few threads on here detailing keepers thinking they had their split enclosures properly secured, just to come home and find out the hard way that they didn't. I suppose it's less of an issue for a mature pair of the same species you're wanting to breed, but it'd be pretty rotten for things to go down while you're not there, even more so if things don't go in the female's favor. It's not common by any means, but males becoming defensive and attacking/killing females isn't unheard of. Just some food for thought.
hahahaha its funny cause the first week i put them in that split aquarium, i left the top lidlid a little to find out the next day, the female is in the males side. But now i dont leave it open again. The second pic is that scenario haha
I don't think I'd recommend pairing up old worlds for your first go, but pairing GBBs will be a task as well since the females are notorious for munching the males.
i had a separate thread for that but still i have'nt found some helpful answers thats why im dont pair them yet :)

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
According to 3 breeders, 2 having over 40 yrs of experience, you’ll have to make sure the humidity is just right- otherwise it’s not going to happen.

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
According to 3 breeders, 2 having over 40 yrs of experience, you’ll have to make sure the humidity is just right- otherwise it’s not going to happen.
Thank you sir! Any other tips/advice ?
So does that mean that i should sprinkle some water on the enclosure, because im from philippines and humidity here is quite low

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sounds like a load of BS, how many others do you think have had success breeding these without paying any mind to humidity?
actually that pic is 2 months ago hahaha here is sone updated pic of them :)
hahahaha its funny cause the first week i put them in that split aquarium, i left the top lidlid a little to find out the next day, the female is in the males side. But now i dont leave it open again. The second pic is that scenario haha
i had a separate thread for that but still i have'nt found some helpful answers thats why im dont pair them yet :)
I am not surprised that you found the female on his side. Now first things first, your enclosures are way too small.

Poecilotheria have very long extended courtship, typically, MMs will attempt to lure females away from their dens and out onto neutral ground, where they feel much more confident and comfortable going in for the insert. You'll need a more substantial space to breed them in, cause he will want to lead her as far away as he can.

I use a large empty aquarium for my poeci pairings, insert the females enclosure inside first, and then introduce the male on the opposite end. That way the male can get away from her if he wants too, and the likeliness of a successful pairing goes way up...dont leave them together too long though. I just recently made that mistake, had an over 7" ornata MM get munched by my larger AF, who was super receptive, I suspect I left them together past the insertion, and she turned on him after. So although rare, they will still cannibalize if given the chance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like a load of BS, how many others do you think have had success breeding these without paying any mind to humidity?
I’m only a messenger of information I learned from Poec and Wade on here. It’s on the board. Don’t shoot the messenger.

P met breeding wasn’t actually easy. It was cracked by Kelly Swift for the first time here in the USA. Before that all came from EU.

People had tried without success, before Kelly. There’s a reason why he has the first, it wasn’t by accident. That’s what I know.

Last edited:

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
I’m only a messenger of information I learned from Poec and Wade on here. It’s on the board. Don’t shoot the messenger.

P met breeding wasn’t actually easy. It was cracked by Kelly Swift for the first time here in the USA. Before that all came from EU.

People had tried without success. That’s what I know.
Still, what you said was helpful and nothing would do harm to the t's if i do it. thank you very much

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I speculate no interest- however I have not bred this genus.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

People had tried without success, before Kelly. There’s a reason why he has the first, it wasn’t by accident. That’s what I know.
I have heard otherwise, but everyone has their own way of doing things. I know metallica are being bred fairly often and easily these days.
Anyways, what do you think if the female and male are close but they are not tapping with each other ?
Not a good sign. My females's tap excessively once they notice a male, if they are unresponsive you should separate and try another day. There's usually a good reason when they dont show interest.

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
I have heard otherwise, but everyone has their own way of doing things. I know metallica are being bred fairly often and easily these days.

Not a good sign. My females's tap excessively once they notice a male, if they are unresponsive you should separate and try another day. There's usually a good reason when they dont show interest.
I have another female pmet, but she is around 4", do you think its safe to pair her with my 5-6" mm?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Well what you heard prob came from some
Crazy people JK

I can’t explain why senior level breeders claim this and others don’t.

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't pair anything under 5".
Okay noted! Thanksss

I have another question, i left my pokies overnight in 1 enclosure today. How would i know if they had a successful pairing? Or if the female would be gravid?

Last edited:

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
Guys its been 5 days since i've left my p.mets on communal. and i noticed that the furrow of the female is kinda like on the picture. do you think that there is an insertion that happened ? should sparate them now ? thanks for the answers! if this mating is a success i'll gladly spread some happiness :)

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Guys its been 5 days since i've left my p.mets on communal. and i noticed that the furrow of the female is kinda like on the picture. do you think that there is an insertion that happened ? should sparate them now ? thanks for the answers! if this mating is a success i'll gladly spread some happiness :)
Its possible, separate them for a week or so and then shark tank the pair. If the female still taps, it wasn't successful.