1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P.metallica new purchase and worried!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Jason D, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Jason D

Jason D Arachnopeon

UK
    Advertisement
    90cm x 45cm x 45cm split down the middle. A door and a lid for each half. More substrate in the Pamph's side (deep enough to burrow, but it's too low from a falling perspective. I've never seen it ever attempt to climb anyway) and less substrate in the metallica side, with high cork bark and branches for it to climb on.

Correct. Ill.get a few pics for you in an hour or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jhawk023

Jhawk023 Arachnopeon Active Member

Sounds good I’ve considered doing similar setups and have been experimenting with possible double houses enclosures with sliding middle tubes to assist with pairings of some of my species as of now I put both enclosures in large tub in bathroom with all drains and holes plugged and use chopsticks to prevent male death but when male bolts sometimes I have to play catching game lol. The way you have that setup gives me a few ideas.

3. Dannica

Dannica Arachnopeon Active Member

I think split enclosures are generally frowned upon, they just aren’t wise. One enclosure per tarantula (excluding the communal set ups) is a pretty safe rule to live by. It’s just an unnecessary risk to take.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jhawk023

I agree between cross species but what about on a larger enclosure with a male and female same? Especially if the purpose was to breed I first thought about designing enclosures that had an attachable cube to lock in between to remove risk of bolting. It’s just an idea I’ve been toying with fanciful really and as always tried and true methods work I just find it an interesting concept haven’t jumped the gun on trying it yet but it would save a good bit of trouble. My only worry is ability to save the male if things go wrong I don’t want to risk the tarantula over a what if hairbrained idea. :) I will say I’ve seen a gentleman on YouTube who has 55 gal Long that he has separated and keeps multiple purple blooms in with what appears to be pretty healthy T’s of decent size but it’s not something I’ve ever tried myself it would take up a lot of space and I haven’t really heard much about people doing it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Jason D

Jason D Arachnopeon

UK
    20180417_182250.jpg
    You can see the devider straight down the middle

20180417_182316.jpg
    There is a 10mm lip for either door to shut against to stop any escape or transfer from/into the other side when the door is open.

20180417_182331.jpg
    Same with the 2 lids.

I'm a carpenter/joiner by trade, so getting the divider to be a perfect wit was pretty easy. A blob of hot glue in each corner either side holds it in place. You coukd easily make a slider for the divider (think slider on lexan race car windows) for pairing.

Here's the 2 setups either side. I have a window for my pamph so I can peek at him. Cover is held in with magnets on the inside of the tank, and magnets on a piece of card outside.

20180417_182449.jpg 20180417_182513.jpg
    And the metallica one

20180417_182535.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jhawk023

That is actually pretty awesome you put a lot of thought into that I love the magnetic window. The substrate looks good and I must say the custom top in acrylic is a lot better than the screen tops. I’ve actually never seen anyone attempt to dual a terrestrial and arboreal setup like that please keep me updated on how it works out.

7. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

The substrate needs to be much deeper for the pampho imo. So much height can prove fatal

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jason D

Jason D Arachnopeon

UK
    Yeah I will do. The lids were really easy to do, I wanted separate opening sides, and had read how bad some of the screen ones are so seemed like the right thing to do going perspex. Marked out the holes and drilled them to keep them even, had to trim the corners and put a few little indents around the edge to suit the top of the enclosure but was all pretty straight forward.

The enclosure came up.for sale at a good price, and it fits perfectly in the little alcove in the living room, so I decided to give it a go splitting it. Looks better than 2 imo.

Yeah, I mentioned it in my reply a few posts back. I know it's too low (it's up to the vents at the front, and ramped up at the back) but I've never seen it even attempt to climb. If it does decide to climb in the future I'll address it at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dannica

Dannica Arachnopeon Active Member

I think the biggest problem here is that if it does decide to climb and fall, you may not get the chance to address it. I hate to be the person that’s morbid, but there’s a reason we pay so much attention to reducing fall risk.

Even if the purpose is to breed, you’ll be pairing them only a couple times, most like once or twice until you get a good insertion, so is the risk worth it? Put the two separate enclosures inside a larger one for breeding, and keep them separate at other times. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jhawk023

Yeah that’s what I go with now like I said probably just pipe dreams but I have a ton of T’s which most enclosures are stacked anyways so it’s not like T’s can’t see each other. Only reason I like the idea was for spacing purposes really and like with all things speed up transitions and streamline process. Probably nothing will ever come of it but still good to think on :)

11. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Just because you havent seen it climb doesn't mean that it won't. It's just not worth the risk imo

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Jason D

Jason D Arachnopeon

UK
    If I ever see it leave it's hide I'll be shocked. The most I've seen out of its hide is a couple legs. That's generally when it gets fed, it seems to stick them out every week or so, and it gets a small roach.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    Because you have what appears to be a 2'' juvie in an enormous barren enclosure, and the height issue cant be remedied cause of the dual doors those exo-terras have.

I would rehouse into something smaller and better suited for this genus. I like using clear sterilite/rubbermaid tubs with plenty of cross vent, your sub looks too dry in your pics as well for your pampho. Aim for something more like this. Several inches of moist sub, hide, water dish and a good amount of floor space. [​IMG]
    Your arboreal setup looks good and should work fine, but the pampho definitely needs a rehouse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Active Member

I’ve heard some pretty frightening stories about the strength of tarantulas and their ability to break an acrylic divider. I’ve toyed around for a long time with a divided enclosure because I have a few that are a ridiculous size. I’m actually working on out one together at the moment but I’m only planning to use one side for a tarantula for the time being. I’m intending to put my most obnoxious, defensive, and creative tarantula in it and see if she can break through to the other side. The empty side is going to be set up with a molt that I straightened out for my son’s school next to the divider. I don’t have anything better to do with the enclosure and I think she is the most likely candidate for eating a neighbor if one were offered. I’ll run some pictures of the final if I ever get the darn thing done. I’m in know way a carpenter so it’s taking me ages and a lot of trial and error.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jhawk023

Heck yeah that’s what I’m talking about my kind of experiment I’ll be interested to know how it turns out.

16. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Water dish on the ground.

More importantly, a split enclosure like this is an absolutely positively terrible idea. On top of that, it sets the pamph up for a totally inappropriate enclosure as the front doors prevent adding enough sub to make it a safe home.

House the Pokie in there, house the Pamph in its own, proper enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Just saying, I remember another instance of split cages where the beginner ignored the experienced, ended up with one T. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

And not just one or two random instances...but over and over and over again. Its like repeatedly starting a fire in your living room and expecting the house to never burn down.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Jason D

Jason D Arachnopeon

UK
    So the t's only break dividers, and never break out if acrylic enclosures themselves? Plenty of enclosures are made of acrylic and I've never heard of a t breaking out of one.

I've read posts on t's getting into the other sides of their split enclosures, and I feel the job I've done dividing is good enough to keep them apart. I may be wrong, but only time will tell :)

• Popcorn Popcorn x 1
  20. Jhawk023

I think the reason most people are skepticle of the divided tank is that as long as the T’s can see each other they’ll probably try to fight at some point. I’ve never done the divided enclosure but obviously have put thought into it. From what I’ve looked into only a few have ever done it with success but never seen a setup like you did with the exoterra. Except the first link where a guy did terrestrial and arboreal like you last year I messaged him for updates and issues with it I’ll let you know what he says.

Also while I stated before I try never to use a heat pad , living in an older fuel heated home and with the cold spells we’ve had in winters I have had to use them for extreme temperature drops in a pinch but only ever under half of the tank for terrestrials and on tank side or backing for my arboreal and only as a temporary solution placing them all the way under on terrestrials will drive them out and sometimes up to get away from warmth or can cause mold depending on sub and moisture etc. etc. but as long as your house has other people in it to consider as mine does ie a wife or kids space heater may not be doable lol. Look forward to hearing good or bad how it all works out bud.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018