P.metallica new purchase and worried!

Jason D

Arachnopeon
Ok so 2 days ago I got myself a p.metallica.

The shop it came from had it in a jar, soakimg wet substrate, mould from an un eaten worm, and loads of condensation on the inside.

I've moved it into it's enclosure (a bit big, but it'll grow into it) and after spending a day walki g up and down the cork bark, it's now sat in the bottom corner and doesn't want to move.

It was very reluctant to move when I rehoused it, I was expecting it to be fast and skittish, but it really didn't want to move at all.

I'm hoping it's in premolt, but being my 1st OW I know they don't get the bald patch, and sometimes it can be hard to tell. I haven't tried to feed it yet.

I'll put a couple pictures of the spider, and the enclosure up. 20180416_153546.jpg 20180416_153557.jpg 20180416_153631.jpg

Sana

Arachnoprince
In my experience a tarantula coming out of horrible conditions can take a while to recover. I generally fill the water dish and put the enclosure in a quiet, dark, relatively warm place when dealing with stressed or recovering tarantulas. I restrict myself to checking on it only once every 24 hours. It’s tough on me but much better for the poor spider. After a week depending on condition I attempt to feed. I base the decision on live or prekilled prey on how the tarantula is looking and whether or not it has webbed, dug, or made other alterations to the enclosure.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Doesn´t sound too unusual or worrying for a specimen that got just rehoused.

My P. met behaved the same after transfer into a new enclosure, but started to react very nervous and skittish after she had settled in.

Keep an eye on it but for now i wouldn´t worry too much.

Jason D

Arachnopeon
I will keep an eye on it. Just a bit worrying as it's doing the opposite of what it's supposed to be doing! I will update when anything changes.

Thanks chaps.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Wow your moving fast from that rose hair you got in October! Like the others said though probably just give it time to settle.

Jason D

Arachnopeon
Wow your moving fast from that rose hair you got in October! Like the others said though probably just give it time to settle.
I actually swapped the rise hair and some cash for the p.metallica. the rose hair was too dull and boring for me. Misses has limited me to 2 T's. I have a Pamphobeutus platyomma and that's pretty cool. Still only small though.

It will take time to settle. It usually takes longer when it is a large enclosure.
I'll leave it in peace as much as I can. It's in the living room, so have tv and lights on etc. Is it worth covering it with something to keep it dark?

Is the cork tube Ok? It's about 45 degrees, but I got a bit of stick for it on another forum because it's not vertical. I'm pretty sure in the wild they would hide in fallen trees, or hollowed branches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
So I have lots of experience with the P. metallica species. It’s completely normal for it once moved to stay in that space in enclosure. Depending on the month and season I wet the substrate and let it evaporate slowly as they typically rarely touch the substrate. If you just moved it into large enclosure it’ll take a bit to scope it out. Add some silk large leafy plants as at that age they love them and will web them up nicely. They aren’t fans of bright lights but with the leaves they can adjust as necessary. Often in pre-molt they will refrain from climbing and web a corner area slightly above substrate. Possibly due to limited range of movement and unsteady climbing. Their natural habitat goes through wet and dry seasons and they like temperature around 80 farenheight I’ll post pic of my communal enclosure so you can see

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
More vertical the better imo but it'll do.

You could place a blanket or cover of sorts over the enclosure to make it nice and dark.

Jason D

Arachnopeon
So I have lots of experience with the P. metallica species. It’s completely normal for it once moved to stay in that space in enclosure. Depending on the month and season I wet the substrate and let it evaporate slowly as they typically rarely touch the substrate. If you just moved it into large enclosure it’ll take a bit to scope it out. Add some silk large leafy plants as at that age they love them and will web them up nicely. They aren’t fans of bright lights but with the leaves they can adjust as necessary. Often in pre-molt they will refrain from climbing and web a corner area slightly above substrate. Possibly due to limited range of movement and unsteady climbing. Their natural habitat goes through wet and dry seasons and they like temperature around 80 farenheight I’ll post pic of my communal enclosure so you can see
Thanks for the reply.

It's moved now, it's upright in the corner if that makes sense. I'm sure I spotted it trying to climb up the glass but not being able to. Ill order some more fake plants for it. Last time i tried real ones they didnt last.

Also that temperature will be difficult for me to reach. It's currently about 18°c at the moment, with a heat lamp on it I can get it to 22, but I don't really use it and I don't like the lamp.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Also that temperature will be difficult for me to reach. It's currently about 18°c at the moment, with a heat lamp on it I can get it to 22, but I don't really use it and I don't like the lamp.
You don't need to hit that temperature, they will do fine at temps in the range of 70-80.

Ditch the heat lamp asap, it will dehydrate and slowly fry your spider. Do not use under tank heat mats either.

Best way to increase your temps is via space heater. You want to avoid anything that creates hot spots.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
You don't need to hit that temperature, they will do fine at temps in the range of 70-80.

Ditch the heat lamp asap, it will dehydrate and slowly fry your spider. Do not use under tank heat mats either.

Best way to increase your temps is via space heater. You want to avoid anything that creates hot spots.
The temp he’s saying he has is not even close to 70 farenheight I agree heat pads are not best option but better than heat lamp and that species doesn’t spend much time on substrate so under heater wouldn’t hurt if he doesn’t want to run space heater in the living room area and sweat everyone out.

Jason D

Arachnopeon
I'll get a head pad for the back. The lamp is only there for when it's real cold. We've had a spell here (in the uk) were it's not been above 0°c during the day, and with me and the Mises both at work the house doesn't get heated. I can't heat a whole house for just 2 T's.

The enclosure is one big exp terra devided into 2, so my other t should get some heat from it as well (Pamphobeutus platyomma) which I guess wouldn't be bad. I can also hook a heat pad up to a thermostat to stop it getting too hot.

Space heater isn't an option, as I get hot with it at 18°c and moan at the misses for having the heating on

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Heat pads can be used safely, but they should never be placed under the enclosure or in direct contact. @cold blood has a good post on how to safely create a heat bath.

I would simply set the space heater in a smaller room or closet with the enclosure.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
I'll get a head pad for the back. The lamp is only there for when it's real cold. We've had a spell here (in the uk) were it's not been above 0°c during the day, and with me and the Mises both at work the house doesn't get heated. I can't heat a whole house for just 2 T's.

The enclosure is one big exp terra devided into 2, so my other t should get some heat from it as well (Pamphobeutus platyomma) which I guess wouldn't be bad. I can also hook a heat pad up to a thermostat to stop it getting too hot.

Space heater isn't an option, as I get hot with it at 18°c and moan at the misses for having the heating on
Kinda figured lol by earlier post about misses limiting you to 2 T’s and I agree space heater is best as that what I run in my tarantula room I keep it at 78 F at all times but I’ve been deployed to Iraq before so that’s not unbearable for me. Yeah sometimes you gotta make due with what yah got but def look into his idea of heat bath as those work out well :) ultimately do what you have to for the T’s health good luck

Jason D

Arachnopeon
I've ordered a 22w heat mat to go on the side, ill hook it up and keep an eye on the temps. If i need to use my thermostat i will.

Also, it's moved. It's now tucked up by it's bush, on its side. Half it's legs tucked under it. 20180417_141729.jpg
It's water dish is high up. Should I move it down to the ground? Or just leave it as it is?

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
Leave it as it is. Young P's often remain on the ground. Nothing to worry about. I would only get the temp a bit higher...

Dannica

Arachnosquire

Can you clarify how you’ve got the tank split? Pamphos usually burrow, and pokies are arboreal, so how do you have the tank set up to accommodate both?

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
Can you clarify how you’ve got the tank split? Pamphos usually burrow, and pokies are arboreal, so how do you have the tank set up to accommodate both?
He posted some pictures earlier it looks like an Exo-terra front opening tank that’s split between the two doors. One side set up for the P. metallica and he other for Pamphos. Def need pictures of entire setup I’d be interested to see the other half.