P. metallica molt.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My P. metallica has not molted in over a year, the set-up is A-typical for an arboreal spp. It has spun lots of web, and just as I feel it is going to go into pre-molt it doesn't - so, is it due to lack of a suitable area to molt, or is it just not ready. Set-up is a cork tube leant against a cork backdrop in a medium sized exo-terra enclosure - thoughts please.....

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My P. metallica has not molted in over a year, the set-up is A-typical for an arboreal spp. It has spun lots of web, and just as I feel it is going to go into pre-molt it doesn't - so, is it due to lack of a suitable area to molt, or is it just not ready. Set-up is a cork tube leant against a cork backdrop in a medium sized exo-terra enclosure - thoughts please.....
Pictures of the tarantula and its enclosure would be much more helpful than a verbal description alone.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
108.JPG 107.JPG
So, as you can see, there does seem to be plenty of space and anchor points for the molting process, I'm at a loss as to why it hasn't molted yet, yes it may be that it's not ready to molt yet, although it does seem to be a fair length of time. BTW it is an immature male, probably nearing its ultimate molt.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
View attachment 266370 View attachment 266371
So, as you can see, there does seem to be plenty of space and anchor points for the molting process, I'm at a loss as to why it hasn't molted yet, yes it may be that it's not ready to molt yet, although it does seem to be a fair length of time. BTW it is an immature male, probably nearing its ultimate molt.
That might explain it, IME penultimate males always go through their longest pre molt phase before molting into matures.

The enclosure looks good, no issue there. Poecs tend to web heavy right before they molt. Should look something like this. 20180118_181103.jpg
Welcome back.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That might explain it, IME penultimate males always go through their longest pre molt phase before molting into matures.

The enclosure looks good, no issue there. Poecs tend to web heavy right before they molt. Should look something like this. View attachment 266372
Welcome back.
Thanks for the welcome back, and yes, that had crossed my mind, that it may be nearing its ultimate molt, assuming this to be the case there is plenty of webbing for the ensuing molt, as I thought there are no issues with the enclosure - thanks for your reply @Nightstalker47

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
As you can see the webbing does look like this - so you can understand my intrigue/concern.
Are you sure it has actually been that long since the last molt? I see some evidence of a previous molt in the mass of substrate underneath him in that picture.

Either way, he looks very premolty. You can expect it soon, I think.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
As you can see the webbing does look like this - so you can understand my intrigue/concern.
I wouldn't be concerned, whatever happens is outside of your control. It could molt tonight, tomorrow or one month from now. No need to worry about it, just keep the water bowl full and wait it out.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Are you sure it has actually been that long since the last molt? I see some evidence of a previous molt in the mass of substrate underneath him in that picture.

Either way, he looks very premolty. You can expect it soon, I think.
Yeah that was in the cork tube, (exoskeleton) and as we can see it does look and has done for quite some time that he is going to molt - the later the better if it's going to be the ultimate molt.

I wouldn't be concerned, whatever happens is outside of your control. It could molt tonight, tomorrow or one month from now. No need to worry about it, just keep the water bowl full and wait it out.
Yep - that's the beauty of the hobby, surprise after surprise, my A. geniculata molted unexpectedly three days ago, the only sign was the bed of web beforehand - as you said nothing to worry about, thanks mate.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Wow, that abdomen looks...weird. Like all the colour is gone and gone completely bald. I've just started keeping Poecilotheria, so it might be normal, but I've not seen it like that in pictures.
Do they darken up as well for a molt?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Wow, that abdomen looks...weird. Like all the colour is gone and gone completely bald. I've just started keeping Poecilotheria, so it might be normal, but I've not seen it like that in pictures.
The abdomen has been like that for months now, although it doesn't look any different from when it molted before, sometimes the abdomen droops at the pedicle. I'm a bit concerned, but as has been said it is out of my control, hopefully there are no internal issues - impaction comes to mind. As for the darkening of their abdomens (Pokies) it doesn't seem to be so obvious with them IME.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Completely normal. ;) They don't lose setae btw.

The abdomen does darken to certain extent, especially with slings. It may even appear slightly shiny. Much less noticeable on adults though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
All my pokies go avic mode before a molt, webbing everywhere. I wouldn't be concerned.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Completely normal. ;) They don't lose setae btw.

The abdomen does darken to certain extent, especially with slings. It may even appear slightly shiny. Much less noticeable on adults though.
I know they don't have urticating hairs, which was why i was so surprised about the bald abdomen. It looks like a mature male that has worn his setae off or something, with the organs showing like that. (I know it's not a mature male).
Good thing I'm seeing this now, or I would be posting in a couple of months like ' what's wrong with my Poeci?!?'. :p

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I know they don't have urticating hairs, which was why i was so surprised about the bald abdomen. It looks like a mature male that has worn his setae off or something, with the organs showing like that. (I know it's not a mature male).
Good thing I'm seeing this now, or I would be posting in a couple of months like ' what's wrong with my Poeci?!?'. :p
That's a normal looking Pokie in pre-molt, my concern was the length of time between molts, not the look of the abdomen, in fact the abdomen looks fine apart from it being quite plump - aside from that all looks well.