P.Metallica communal

TexasPokie

Arachnopeon
I'm considering making a Communal for these guys. But certainly cannot afford to buy 5-10 at 100 bucks right now. Would 3 slings in a 4"x4"x5" to minimize rehousing be too big for 3 in anyone's opinion? From what I've seen out there as long as they are raised in close proximity they seem fine. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I cant recommend a communal at all, but for 3 slings that should be fine and just provide the one Cork bark tube for a retreat

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I would just buy one, as you're likely going to end up with one fat spider anyways.

The only species I know of that can be successfully kept communally (like, in the long run) is M. balfouri. If you're dead set on a communal, just keep that sp.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've seen Poecilotheria communals work for years and years. Until they didn't. I'm not opposed to them at all. They are very interesting. And if you want to quickly raise Poecilotheria, you raise them communally. Growth rates double, if not triple IME.

I'm not good at envisioning sizes.. I'd put 3 in a 16oz deli. The important bit is to only give one hide. You want to force them to be together. You can argue it's unethical honestly.

Watch for food hogs. In virtually every communal there's a runt and a hog.

cold blood

Staff member
I would advise against it...although it shouldnt be an issue as slings.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Cheapest way to do it is breed them yourself. Save a few for the communal. IME making communals out of slings that have never been separated have a much better chance.

TexasPokie

Arachnopeon
Cheapest way to do it is breed them yourself. Save a few for the communal. IME making communals out of slings that have never been separated have a much better chance.
That's a good point I didnt think about. I would assume where I'd get the slings they would be sac mates but it's possible they wouldnt be necessarily or even being kept together pre shipped. I'd definitely find out first. I've seen a few p Metallica communal but they were 9 and 5 in number and all sac mates never separated.Ive never done any breeding so the end vision in mind if lucky enough to get a female would be a communal that produced my first clutch.
But as another member pointed out sometimes they work..till they dont. Might be safer to buy 3 and keep them separate then try breeding if I get lucky. Will have to think on it.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I refer you to Tom Moran's communal attempts with this species...

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've seen so many Pokie communals go bad (and those are just the ones that were documented) that I wouldn't risk it tbh.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Yeah it’s not a matter of if there will be cannibalism, but actually just a matter of when and how bad it gets before you notice and separate them.

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
Pokies communal is a gamble, and it has been tried even with the newest species in the hobby. As a recent example, from Mark Tarantulas UK - Not working in subfusca

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Like others, I can't recommend this.
I'd almost understand if you had a breeding deal and came into 50 slings at once why you might consider trying it. (Well, no, even then I can't seeing trying this) but at least I'd get where the idea to keep slings communally came from.
But to deliberate pay good money for each of them and then communally house them?
Many cheaper feeders out there than P mets.
And, as others mentioned -- you won't really know when it's time to house them each individually until some slings go, um, missing. :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No one has reported them living communal in the wild. No need to play god and end up with a fat single T