p.metallica and a couple questions regarding maintaining.

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Hello and greetings!

I'll be getting my first p.metallica shortly and I have a main question. My house is normally at 70F. What can I do to make sure my new sling will be at optimal temp for their enclosure? Any help would be great. Also ive never had an aboreal so small aka 1 inch to 1.25 is what mine will be. The glass enclosure I made is 2.5x2.5 wide and 4.5 tall. With two 1 inch vents on each side. Is that gonna be alright?

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
70's are fine for most T's. Don't have experience with Pokies myself but that enclosure sounds fine for starting out, but it'll need to be bigger as it grows older.
Are the vents metal? I've heard stories of T's chewing through metal ventilation, but not sure if a T that size could do it or not.
A picture of the enclosure would help people with more experience help you out, as i said i don't know much about Poecilotheria but i know plenty of the people on here are :)
What arboreals do you have experience with? if you don't mind me asking

cold blood

Staff member
My house is normally at 70F. What can I do to make sure my new sling will be at optimal temp for their enclosure?
70 is fine
Also ive never had an aboreal so s mall aka 1 inch to 1.25
Not really all that small...young pokies are excellent eaters right out of the gate...yours will likely be at least 3rd instar...they should hunt and tackle prey without issue.

The glass enclosure I made is 2.5x2.5 wide and 4.5 tall. With two 1 inch vents on each side.
I would house in something a little bigger, although that will do for a molt of two...but theyre fast, and deal with more room very well. Keep in mind, that although they are labeled as arboreal, they're really not all that arboreal until adulthood. So while a vertical piece of wood to climb on is good, its more critical to have it angled in a manner that it can still get under the wood...and keep the plant cover at ground level as well, as that's where they will likely make their home base.

Keep the sub slightly damp, but let it dry between dampening, and keep a water dish.

Last edited:

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately i dont have a photo of the enclosure. I haven't grabbed it from the glass cutter yet. Although it's already assembled minus the vents and hinges. My experience with aboreals is an Amazon ribbed. C ant remember the Latin name sorry. She does fine with the temps. I just heard P.metallicas like high 70s into 80.. I have spare vents and hinges should I possible.make the enclosure a little bigger? (My glass cutter is super cheap and can easily make another enclosure) maybe 3x3 and 5 high might be better ?

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the info cold blood! Very helpful thanks! I think I'll have my glass cutter make me a slight bigger enclosure :)

cold blood

Staff member
I really don't like those screen vents...especially for a species you want to keep slightly damp...JMO

cold blood

Staff member
drilled or punched holes...basically the kind of ventilation other than screens....with glass though, it may be your only option.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I can't remember where, but I know you can get plastic vents to plug in like you would the screen ones. Tom Moran uses them.

Sheladaris

Arachnopeon
338f044e-db3f-424f-a2bb-5523c8a90352.jpg

This is the blueprint I was gonna go with. Taking in the suggestion of the no metal vents.

cold blood

Staff member
Seems like an excessive amount of work for what is essentially a temporary enclosure. A 32oz deli cup does the job just fine...for free.
I would save the extensive construction project for when you are ready to move it to its adult enclosure...JMO