P. irminia question

SpiderSnake77

Arachnopeon
Is P. irminia a pet hole? I've seen lots of posts saying that they hardly ever see them. Do they at least come out at night?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, 'pet hole' is a definition more suitable for fossorials but yes, this is a very reclusive species (definitely, if compared to other Psalmopoeus spp.) but with that said, every specimen is always a 'thing' per se, at the end.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I catch mine out quite often actually but she bolts back into her cork tube before I can get my camera.

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
From my experience, they're pet holes as slings, but usually get bolder as they get bigger. And they love to eat, so you're guaranteed to see a bit of them once they get hungry and go on the hunt.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
If you set them up right it will be easier to view. Mine is almost never out but she can be seen. I have a diagonal slab of cork bark and she hangs out on the underside. They are so pretty that when you do get a good view they are totally worth it.

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
I will say that the nice thing about arboreals is that they often can be seen through their webs, at least a little bit. I find them less anxiety-inducing than a fossorial who has borrowed away from the side of its enclosure, and stays there for months.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
most Ts in general are "pet holes" as in not very willing to be a spectacle, so unless it is strictly fossorial I wouldn't use such a term.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine's out every morning and evening unless she's in pre-moult (the last pic was 10 days post-moult which is why she's so skinny) but she will walk back to her hide if disturbed. I almost didn't get one because everyone was like "don't bother, you'll never see it" (conversely, I got a P. cambridgei because everyone said they never hide and I never saw the pissing thing), easily my favourite species from the genus, P. pulcher are great too.

View media item 53824

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
They really do have tiny hineys after a molt! It freaked me out when I first started keeping them, but they plump right back up before long. Grym, looking at your pictures makes me miss my old suntigers so much! They really are some of the most gorgeous animals in the hobby.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Mine is very reclusive but she doesn't seem to realise I can see her because her his is up against the side of the enclosure. Beautiful t but imo P cams are better looking and less likely to hide. Just my experience

horneteer

Arachnopeon
From my experience, they're pet holes as slings, but usually get bolder as they get bigger. And they love to eat, so you're guaranteed to see a bit of them once they get hungry and go on the hunt.
I hope you're right about them usually getting bolder as they get bigger. I remember a regular on here saying that they had observed the opposite, in that they become less visible as they mature. Don't know whether that was based on one or more examples. I have a ~4" female that's almost always visible. She has multiple options to hide herself away and she uses most of them for short periods. Just seems to prefer being out and about which is not what I expected at all. Doesn't web much either apart from to moult. She's very bold and I've never seen her bolt when disturbed. I had to move her enclosure today and I thought she'd at least hunker down but she just carried on fang grooming, seemingly oblivious. Hope she stays this way.

Last edited:

u bada

Arachnopeon
digging this thread up for a sec...

was up at 4am randomly the other week, and found myself staring at my p. irminia sling enclosure and like a bat out of hell it emerged with a molt in mouth, did a quick scurry to dump the thing, and was gone into her weird little dirt web tunnel at base of cork piece within a fraction of a second.

Just thinking of how all matters of time and space had to be aligned for me to have witnessed such a sighting of my p irminia, and how if I was just a fraction of a second off I would have missed my once monthly view of this one... lol.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
digging this thread up for a sec...

was up at 4am randomly the other week, and found myself staring at my p. irminia sling enclosure and like a bat out of hell it emerged with a molt in mouth, did a quick scurry to dump the thing, and was gone into her weird little dirt web tunnel at base of cork piece within a fraction of a second.

Just thinking of how all matters of time and space had to be aligned for me to have witnessed such a sighting of my p irminia, and how if I was just a fraction of a second off I would have missed my once monthly view of this one... lol.

My Irminia has set up a dirt web tunnel at the base of its cork bark as well! Seems to be out fairly regularly though! Maybe after this new molt, you will see it more?? Love LOVE my Psalmopeous Ts!