P. irminia Male Got Smoked

MrFuzzBugz

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
I am new to breeding, and this was my second attempt at pairing two tarantulas.

I paired my irminias the other day, introducing the MM to the female’s enclosure, and what initially seemed like a friendly and receptive female ended in her consuming the male, just as soon as he touched her epigastric furrow. I’m not sure if he penetrated or not, it happened so quick and it seemed like an automatic reflex. In anyone else's experience, is there a chance that this could be successful?

I do have a video from the encounter, but it is graphic and I really feel horrible about it. I will reluctantly share it if anyone wants to see… :anxious:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Probably not the best choice of T's to try and pair when you first start doing it.

Chop sticks or a wooden ruler is recommended to halt the female's advance from chomping the male. There's multiple methods to halt the female from munching the male.

Is it possible he made insertion, maybe, only time will tell.

Last edited:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't have experience with this species, but the ones I have researched have all been new worlds. You can't always get a good line of sight on what the male is doing but he should be under there fishing around, punching, or somewhere in between. Once she goes completely relaxed, it's suggestive of insertion. If it was a good match, this is when you can expect the female to "wake up" and that's when she might start looking to secure her next meal.

You can find a lot of useful information here, and I want to say @l4nsky has posted a video before of a rapid insertion (old world) where the male flew in and away, no Netflix no chill, and it was successful. I guess I can't even say I've seen it... it was that fast. So you could have a chance... You'll know somewhere between the first and second sac 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Other gems I found here...pairing at night, letting the male find her (not cupping or coaxing him into a giant tub/her enclosure, I mean, letting him walk out and an hour later he finally makes his way to her enclosure), never touch the female before the pairing, whisper and hold your breath 🤣, FEED THEM BOTH WELL, TIMING IS EVERYTHING, post molt obviously but even down to doing it at night, with the lights dim. Silicone spatulas and fast reflexes, letting them cohab for a few days or week, pre and post copulation environmental cues, how much space you give them to do the deed, how much time they spent next to each other, shark tanking, it might all matter in terms of keeping your male safe and your female fertile lol. I just covered a lot of different species, you can find species specific info here though.

There are some absolute legends and trailblazers here, hopefully you read the breeding reports here and contribute your own, even failed attempts will help someone (they did me and it's why I say the things I did), but search here, you might find something useful!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You can find a lot of useful information here, and I want to say @l4nsky has posted a video before of a rapid insertion (old world)
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/interesting-behaviour.356201/post-3296468

Male on the left, female on the right. Notice the body language of the larger female post pairing. I believe there is an actual scientific term for this behavior that's escaping me, but basically she's rubbing her epigastic furrow to better load up and store the supplied "genetic material" in her spermatheca.

I cohab all of my breeding adults in pairing arenas like this to allow nature to take its course, giving the males plenty of space to get away, and recording the results to ensure successful copulation once I separate them. Anyways, that's the body language I look for with the females to judge success.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I am new to breeding, and this was my second attempt at pairing two tarantulas.

I paired my irminias the other day, introducing the MM to the female’s enclosure, and what initially seemed like a friendly and receptive female ended in her consuming the male, just as soon as he touched her epigastric furrow. I’m not sure if he penetrated or not, it happened so quick and it seemed like an automatic reflex. In anyone else's experience, is there a chance that this could be successful?

I do have a video from the encounter, but it is graphic and I really feel horrible about it. I will reluctantly share it if anyone wants to see… :anxious:
When was the females last molt? If she is near molt its best to not breed. I have only had this happen once when I was pairing p. victori. She ate the male and molted within the week. I believe the guy I got the female from lied about her last molt date. He told me she molted a month before I got her. Not long after he sold me the female they closed shop and moved out west.

MrFuzzBugz

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
When was the females last molt? If she is near molt its best to not breed. I have only had this happen once when I was pairing p. victori. She ate the male and molted within the week. I believe the guy I got the female from lied about her last molt date. He told me she molted a month before I got her. Not long after he sold me the female they closed shop and moved out west.
Ahhh… she is an older girl and hadn't molted in a while.You are probably correct and a molt is probably around the corner.