P. Irminia enclosure advice needed :)

Arachnofreak36

Arachnopeon
Hello, so owned a few T's over the years & I've always been successful with my husbandry. Being quite the reptile enthusiast helps aswell. I have a 1" P. Irminia who has been doing well, molted once in my care & eats regularly ( like a tank) etc. Even has a nice little dirt curtain web started, I just want some opinions from experienced keepers as to whether you think I have him in to big an enclosure. Also, I keep the substrate moist & he has a nice water dish so I'm wondering is misting necessary with these guys..tia ..vent holes on both sides & 1 on top to fill there water. Any help is appreciated :)

I'll have some enclosure questions about my Avic & Tappy aswell but this was first on my list...haven't owned a T in about 10 years so just want to do it correctly..

Attachments

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your enclosure size is fine, however there’s too much moisture in there. You don’t need to mist at all, just keep the water bowl full and let the substrate dry out.

You can also drop some water with a water dropper into the webbing every now and then if you aren’t sure if the irminia is drinking from the water bowl or not. Does it roam the enclosure sometimes or does it stay in its hide most of the time?

Arachnofreak36

Arachnopeon
Roams quite a bit at night. He has a decent size web tunnel started and he's covered it in subrate, he's usually hanging out on the web just sitting there or down in the burrow he's dug under the cork bark...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I disagree. Everything looks totally fine.

I will say I keep spiders up to 5" in cages like that lol. Slings up to 3 or 4" are in 32oz deli cups. Tarantulas don't need to have a very large environment. That's just for the keeper. Long as temp, humidity is good, and they have a good hide, the cage is generally fine. I will say I hate seeing people keeping adults in tiny plastic boxes they can barely turn around in..

Post pics of the other cages here too. Looking good so far. :)

Great species. One of the ones that got me into spiders as a kid. IMG_20180814_213050_754.jpg

Arachnofreak36

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much, I feel better. I knew I posted in the right place ;). That adult is absolutely stunning, I love the orange on these guys. Here's a better pic a the little guy & a few of my Avic, he's bigger & in the same size enclosure which is kinda why I put the Irminia in one. Just a matter of convenience for me, you'll see in the pic that I had misted him aswell because I had thought he was in premolt but after being a member on here for a little while & doing a ton of reading I stopped the misting. Seems definitely unnecessary & will just make it stuffy & easier to mold most likely.

Attachments

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Those look good, I have a pair of sub 1”, I can’t wait to rehouse into something cooler than a 2oz deli cup.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yup, looks great. I'd let that sub dry personally, just no need to keep them damp IME.

Thought it was a juvie C versicolor from that angle lol

Theneil

Arachnoprince
IME the irminia seem to appreciate some moisture in the substrate. The Avic however i would let the sub dry out completely, and keep it that way (Just a water dish and possibly the occasional waterdroplets on the web, bark, leaves, etc near the spider as an aditional source to drink from.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
When I got my P. irminia sling, I heard that they prefer it on the moister side. I've also heard people say they let it dry out. Personally, I just keep half the substrate moist and it decided to make its webtunnel-burrow thingy-ma-bober right on the border between the moist and dry so I'm really not sure what it prefers :arghh:

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
When I got my P. irminia sling, I heard that they prefer it on the moister side. I've also heard people say they let it dry out. Personally, I just keep half the substrate moist and it decided to make its webtunnel-burrow thingy-ma-bober right on the border between the moist and dry so I'm really not sure what it prefers :arghh:
Mine are all over the place, they start running around the deli cup looking for food as soon as I walk by.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Both! :wacky: