P. formosa breeding question

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Hi.

Well, today was the day, i've tryed to breed my formosa. After the MM was introduced into her enclosure, he started to drumm and the female started to reject the MM very aggressive. The male made a sperweb, and the female is around 15 cm DLS (or 6cm BL). And to mention...She is 2 months and a couple of days into her molting cycle, and She is refusing food for over 3 weeks now. Is she ready to molt? What can i do?

Here is a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwZ0DR3hsA

Any help is very appreciated.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you introducing the male into her cage or sharktanking them? If she's showing aggression I'd sharktank so the male can easily flee from her if need be. Then he can try drumming outside her cage to lure her out

Assassin

Arachnosquire
I was introducing the male into her enclosure. Is she aggressive, because she is in her own territory? Would putting them into a neutral enclosure prevent her to be aggresivly rejecting the male?

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Here are some pictures...

male

female

''mating''

What if i put them into a neutral enclosure?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I very much doubt that female is even mature, neither sexually nor physically. That most likely explains her aggressiveness towards the male, especially considering the fact that P. formosa females normally tend to be very calm towards their mates.

Last edited:

Assassin

Arachnosquire
I very much doubt that female is even mature, neither sexually nor physically. That most likely explains her aggressiveness towards the male, especially considering the fact that this females of this species tend to be very calm towards males.
Well, my guess was, that she was aggressive because he was in her territory.
I'll post an update tonight when i try to breed her in a neutral enclosure.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi.

Well, today was the day, i've tryed to breed my formosa. After the MM was introduced into her enclosure, he started to drumm and the female started to reject the MM very aggressive. The male made a sperweb, and the female is around 15 cm DLS (or 6cm BL). And to mention...She is 2 months and a couple of days into her molting cycle, and She is refusing food for over 3 weeks now. Is she ready to molt? What can i do?

Here is a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwZ0DR3hsA

Any help is very appreciated.
I'm siding with Draiman on this. She probably needs another molt or two. She most likely isn't mature.

Now, refusing food and 2 months into her molt cycle.... You have to explain this "cycle" just a bit more. Has it been 2 months since her last molt? If so, then just let her be, you won't get her paired up at all. If she is 2 months away from molting and you are asking "when" she is going to molt, then you probably need to do just a bit more research than just sticking the male into her tank.

We are here to help, just gotta give us a bit more info.

J

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He posted her size and asked about her maturity in another thread. At 15 cm DLS she should be mature enough to mate. You can see from the size of the pair that she is at least as large as her mate. She is within 2 months of her last molt and molted within a 6 month window previously. I would consider all of those parameters positive for attempting a pairing. I am a "hands off" breeder and I didn't really see anything terribly aggressive about her behavior. She advanced and he quickly retreated, normal behavior at my house for an initial introduction. Most males are reluctant to engage if the female is too eager. Rushing into the arms of your lover with fangs bared can be scary to him. ;P Di

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He posted her size and asked about her maturity in another thread. At 15 cm DLS she should be mature enough to mate. You can see from the size of the pair that she is at least as large as her mate. She is within 2 months of her last molt and molted within a 6 month window previously. I would consider all of those parameters positive for attempting a pairing. I am a "hands off" breeder and I didn't really see anything terribly aggressive about her behavior. She advanced and he quickly retreated, normal behavior at my house for an initial introduction. Most males are reluctant to engage if the female is too eager. Rushing into the arms of your lover with fangs bared can be scary to him. ;P Di
She did advance pretty quickly! I know I would be scared too if I seen fangs flying at me! :)

I guess I was looking for more of a mating ritual that I have normally seen with him and her drumming. I have a P.regalis girly that is an INSANE DRUMMER! She was dancing all around the boy and do you think he was interested... NOPE! But, on the flip side, my P.subfusca was pretty much opposite, it was get in, get it done and BOLT!

Thanks for posting this Di :worship:

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know that my introduction techniques are peculiar. I feed both T's well and then open their habitat's within a larger habitat and let nature dictate the course. Sometimes it takes as long as 48 hours before either one of them comes out of their enclosure and they'll often prowl for hours, the male drumming and/or quivering (depending upon the species) and doing light "touching" before he runs away. If I don't co-habit, I'll do this for several Friday evening through Monday evening intervals. If the male moves into the females enclosure with her I usually just co-habit, especially with Poecilotheria. All of my breeder females have been housed to accomodate a "husband". I just don't like the risk of repeatedly moving them if I don't feel it is needed. My notorious male-munching P.regalis is the only lady I have that repeatedly kills her mates. I think some females are just less receptive to the mating process and tend to repeat their behavior. Di

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Other than you poking at her with the paintbrush (** big smile **) I think everything looked to be going well. I know you're trying to protect the male and I'm just teasing you, but I try not to interfere once they begin intertwining their legs and begin the mating ritual. You have a beautiful pair there. I wish I had your male. There are several breeder's here in the U.S. who would love to have him as well. Di

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Other than you poking at her with the paintbrush (** big smile **) I think everything looked to be going well. I know you're trying to protect the male and I'm just teasing you, but I try not to interfere once they begin intertwining their legs and begin the mating ritual. You have a beautiful pair there. I wish I had your male. There are several breeder's here in the U.S. who would love to have him as well. Di
I really appreciate your help, and yes, i'm really trying to protect the male, because i'm new to breeding, and i don't want the first attempt to end in a blood shed:eek:

Soooo....i will post an update tonight as i'll pair them up again, this time, in a neutral enclosure.

Assassin

Arachnosquire
Well, HE DID IT!!!! {D{D{D{D{D:D:D:D:D:D
First i've put them into a neutral enclosure and the females enclosure was right next to the neutral one. The male started to drumm and the female was advancing towards him. He lured her (or backed of...don't know what was it:rolleyes:) into the females enclosure. Then he started drumming again, and the female gave him some fang display and some slaps, but the fella didn't back off. Then, the moment came...

The furrow before the mating:

After the mating:

what's the redish thing in the furrow?

and here is also the movie of the insert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-6U0pcaBe8

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:worship:

I have to admit, I have never seen pics like that before!!!!

:worship:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A neutral enclosure isn't necessary. I breed all of my Ts in the female's home, including pokies.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your photography skills far exceed anything I can do. Very nice shots of the before and after. :clap: I'm very happy that your male had success. Good luck with rest of the project. I hope you'll keep us informed of her progress. Di