P.cambridgei mating question

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone. As stated in the title i have problems with mating my p. Cambridgei. I tried twice so far with the same results. I used the "tanks into tank" method. The problem is they don't seems to love each others. The male has no interest and the female dosen't seems to notice his presence even if they are inches of each other! Temperature are at about 75 .
Someone knows whats wrong?
Thanks guy!

kevin1995

Arachnopeon
try to raise the temp a bit, and I have no clue what your humidity is so I cant say much to that but keep it a bit more moist.

Maybe the male is just freshly molted and had not made a sperm web yet, or the female is freshly molted. Generally, the more pre-molt stage the female is closer to, the more female seems to be receptive and less aggressive. After raising your temp, leave them for about two days~a week then try again.

Good Luck! :D

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for your quick reply! Humidity is about 60-70% the male and the female molted 4weeks ago and the male did a sperm web. There is no agressivity at all. They just dont care about each other

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kill the lights if possible..

Just read a recent thread here about pairing them in near darkness or with a red bulb/flashlight so you can see in case there is any danger to both the male or female and give that a shot.

While I've never bred any T I found this remark (sorry can't find thread atm) actually pretty realistic and while we've all seen many pairings in broad daylight maybe they require a bit more "ambiance" to get going? :)

Best of luck with them!

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Forced contact may be required. There is lack of context here. Was there any vibrating on behalf of the male? Also, they were inches apart, in the same tank? Is there a web "mat" of any kind from the female? Has she eaten? How much? Any reaction from the female at all? Did they ever make contact? Why don't you just put him in the opposite side of the tank? How large is her tank? Does she have a hide? Is she in the hide, or was she at the time of the attempted matings? I can go on forever, please excuse me, but mating/breeding is a little more intricate than temperature and humidity.

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, context...
The female molted 4 weeks ago ( ~ 6inches). She was fed about every 2-3 days with a criquet. Now she is quite fat. She is housed in a large KK on the side with a branch in the middle. She made a web tube and she hides in it. I put her tank without the cover in a 80 litter plastic box and free the male in the same box. I gently prod the male near the female's web tube and wait. Nothing happened so i prod the female out. Nothing. The male didnt even drummed. All my instruments were cleaned before because i didnt want to scare them with another spider's odour. Can i leave them together in the 80 litter plastic box for a nigth or is it to dangerous for the male? I think i describe it all but if you think i miss something please ask. Oh i forgot the ligths were on.
Thanks for your help

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, context...
The female molted 4 weeks ago ( ~ 6inches). She was fed about every 2-3 days with a criquet. Now she is quite fat. She is housed in a large KK on the side with a branch in the middle. She made a web tube and she hides in it. I put her tank without the cover in a 80 litter plastic box and free the male in the same box. I gently prod the male near the female's web tube and wait. Nothing happened so i prod the female out. Nothing. The male didnt even drummed. All my instruments were cleaned before because i didnt want to scare them with another spider's odour. Can i leave them together in the 80 litter plastic box for a nigth or is it to dangerous for the male? I think i describe it all but if you think i miss something please ask. Oh i forgot the ligths were on.
Thanks for your help
Ok, first off, to kind of dim the lamp on this lighting thought, I have never had two tarantula's mate in the dark, or ever tampered with the lighting to induce mating, and I have mated P. cambridgei (No sac was produced). Secondly, the KritterKeeper is far too small for a tarantula of that size, that is not to say she cannot procreate in it, but that is just too small, I suggest at least a 'flat breeder' keeper or a 10 gallon (flat or standard) minimum. So, if I understand this correctly, he himself has made contact with the female's webbing and there was no reaction whatsoever? I don't mean to be insulting whatsoever but are you sure it is a P. cambridegi male? How large is this male? Can I see a picture? If there is absolutely no reaction whatsoever from the male, under contextual circumstances he may have not made a sperm web, although you mentioned he has made one... He may need more time, which actually does happen with many of my males. I wouldn't leave them together overnight. How damp is the substrate?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was the one who suggested mating tarantulas in the dark in that thread Ictinike is talking about. Crows, just because you've never tried it doesn't mean it doesn't work. When we bred our genics, the male wouldn't move for over half an hour. When we bred our snakes, we had to turn off the lights before they did anything, so we thought we'd try it with the genics. The lights were off for about 5 minutes and the male started twitching and then the female vigourously responded. The same thing happened the second time we paired them. We waited at least half an hour and he didn't make a single movement, so we killed the lights except the hallway light so we could see and he immediately calmed down and started drumming.

Cass

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think ligths were the problem cause i let them in the dark for an hour an when i came back, they were interacting with each other, so i let them alone all night and in the morning the female was back in her web tube and the male was hiding at the opposite side of the tank. i separate them
thanks for your help

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was the one who suggested mating tarantulas in the dark in that thread Ictinike is talking about. Crows, just because you've never tried it doesn't mean it doesn't work. When we bred our genics, the male wouldn't move for over half an hour. When we bred our snakes, we had to turn off the lights before they did anything, so we thought we'd try it with the genics. The lights were off for about 5 minutes and the male started twitching and then the female vigourously responded. The same thing happened the second time we paired them. We waited at least half an hour and he didn't make a single movement, so we killed the lights except the hallway light so we could see and he immediately calmed down and started drumming.

Cass

I think you need to go back and read my statement again. I never said it wouldn't work, just that I have never done it and I have mated them. I personally think it has a lot to do with presence. Also, I am very familar with snake breeding, what kind might yours be?

Last edited:

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, and by the way, I actually have a few acquaintances locally that attempt all their breedings in the dark, so although I haven't bothered, it doesn't mean I am unaware of it. To elaborate a bit on the presence thing: Tarantulas are very prone to vibrations, as soon as I open the door to my shop, my Poecilotheria girls run all over the place, as I am walking around doing feeding, mating, cleaning and whatever else needs to be done, they are restless. Once I stop moving, they calm down, unless by that time they have already bolted to their hide, which some females do not resort to because the male is in there. I have so much activity going on at my shop sometimes, 5 people, who are ignorant, regardless of how many times I tell them about their sensitivity to vibrations/sound, slam the door, hoot and hollar, and do whatever else that comes to mind. I have attempted to mate during all of this ruckus and the only time I had a successful mating was the Theraphosa sp. Burgundy, other than that my tarantulas do not move. Once everyone is out of the room (now standard protocall) and there is peace after an amount of time, the mating sequences begin. Although I am not discrediting the lighting as being a factor, I think that is relative to the presence of noise/vibrations etc. Did you leave the room? I had a difficult time with Acanthoscurria geniculata recently, I left the male in her tank for 27 days, she never killed him, amazing. So we shall see if they mated, having spent all that time together.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think ligths were the problem cause i let them in the dark for an hour an when i came back, they were interacting with each other, so i let them alone all night and in the morning the female was back in her web tube and the male was hiding at the opposite side of the tank. i separate them
thanks for your help
The first two times that you tried this, how long did you leave them together? How much interaction did you have with them? I know you mentioned prodding the male. So after one hour, they interacted, what does that mean? Did they mate?

Clement

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the 2 first time, they were left about an hour and a half. the only interaction involving me was proding the spider a little. third time when they interact the male was lurring th female out of her tank by tapping. i dont know if they mate because i let them alone for the rest of the nigth. i didnt wnt to disturbe them

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
be PATIENT!!! Many times mating tarantulas takes 10 times of introduction or MORE before you will actually have a receptive female and a male that is advancing enough to do his job. If you try and rush things you may end up with a meal for your female and no breeding success. I don't know anything about this species, so someone else may be a better help on this, but I would not force the issue as you may have less success by doing so. :)