P. cambridgei growth.....Wow!

Newt83

Arachnopeon
I got a small P. cambridgei sling a little over 2 months ago. It has molted twice and it’s almost unbelievable how much size it’s gained. It more that doubled its size with the last molt. I knew they were fast growers but holy crap!!

Newt83

Arachnopeon
I got an L. parahybana sling at the same time and they were pretty much equal in size. The P. cambridgei is 3 times the size and they are in enclosures beside one another and fed on the exact same schedule.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I got an L. parahybana sling at the same time and they were pretty much equal in size. The P. cambridgei is 3 times the size and they are in enclosures beside one another and fed on the exact same schedule.
Wow that’s pretty wild considering how quickly LPs get big, too.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I got a 0.75" sling back in May. He's now at around 3.5". To say they grow fast is an understatement :D

cold blood

Staff member
Cams grow probably 2-4 times faster than fast growing terrestrials....As a rule, arboreals tend to grow faster than terrestrials.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Cams grow probably 2-4 times faster than fast growing terrestrials....As a rule, arboreals tend to grow faster than terrestrials.
What would you say if you compare it with Theraphosa blondi? I am just curious.

cold blood

Staff member
What would you say if you compare it with Theraphosa blondi? I am just curious.
There are exceptions, such as Theraphosa and N. incei, which practically keep up with cams, although being dwarves it's not as dramatic...but like a cam, incei can mature (males of course), in as little as 10 months.....stirmi grow faster than most larger terrestrials (which tend to grow fast as a group), but still not quite cam fast.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I got a 0.75" sling back in May. He's now at around 3.5". To say they grow fast is an understatement :D
my lp i got in january (.5) is that size...that i fed every 3 days...temps around 80 up until may.....

SDCustom78

Arachnopeon
Psalmos in general are fast growers. Oct. of 2017 I had two 3/4 inch Irminia slings. With normal feeding and temps, in almost 1 year, one matured out into a MM @ 6 inches, the other a female at 5 inches plus.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Then is there a problem with mine? Mine only molted once since May... why are my Psalmoepoeus such slow growers?

cold blood

Staff member
Then is there a problem with mine? Mine only molted once since May... why are my Psalmoepoeus such slow growers?
what species exactly? how big is the specimen? what are your temps? what do you feed and how often?

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
what species exactly? how big is the specimen? what are your temps? what do you feed and how often?
P. combridgei and irmina, 0.75 - 1 inche, low 70s constantly, but I think the corner where i keep Ts is slightly lower, feeding 1-2 a week.

cold blood

Staff member
P. combridgei and irmina, 0.75 - 1 inche, low 70s constantly, but I think the corner where i keep Ts is slightly lower, feeding 1-2 a week.
I'd guess temps...if it's low 70s....a cool corner (or the floor even) could easily be mid to even low 60s if you are in a colder climate....These faster growers do prefer it warmer....definitely not as tolerant as a Brachypelma or Grammostola.

I'd move them to a warmer or higher location....These guys should be molting every 25-35 days.