1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P. cambridgei and humity

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Paramite, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Paramite

Paramite Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    Hi. I got my cambridgei sling few days ago and want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

How often should I mist the enclosure? Care sheets recommend 78-82% but that's almost impossible to maintain without restricting ventilation too much. I know many of you guys think that those RH's are overrated, but I heard there's a few number of species, which require some sort of special care.

Is it OK if I mist mine every other day? My enclosure has very good ventilation, so it dries out pretty fast. I'm also keeping a water dish in there, which is a plastic bottle lid (sides cut off).

Oh and my mine is about 1½".

Edit: Eh... Looks like I messed up the title. "Humity"...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. jamesc

jamesc Arachnoknight

Try not to mist the tarantula when you are doing your misting. The humidity should be fine. Once it gets bigger you probably wont need to mist at all. Just keep an eye on the critter and you should be able to tell by its actions if the humidity is high enough for it. If it is hanging out in the water dish it is probably too dry.

3. Hi, I am one who thinks RH is a bit overrated. Besides, how are you going to fin a hygrometer in a small sling enclosure? IME the best thing to do is pour a bottle cap of water on the substrate as it dries out. Make sure it isnt wet though. You might mist the webbing lightly about once or twice a week.

If you have a water dish then misting is not neccessary at all

4. PhilR

PhilR Arachnoknight

I agree entirely with you. Published humidity levels are rarely practical or even attainable in captivity.

5. CedrikG

CedrikG Arachnoking Old Timer

This, Paramite, is one way that you can keep your tarantula, but you dont necessary have to stop there if you dont want to.

"Psalmopoeus cambridgei lived much longer before the human appears on earths on the Trinidad Island"

picture of the field
    http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~madeira/N.coast-island.jpg

This is an island to the north east of Venezuela.
    http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~charriso/images/trinidad.jpg

reference of the text next : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Trinidad_and_Tobago

Thinking they probably lived million of year in that tropical rain forest island, you can keep it on a bone dry substrate if you want to.

I dont want to start a debate here, but he must understand that keeping tarantula does'nt stop at this point he if want to. You can study the natural habitat by looking at picture and reading raport like the one I quoted. Representing the type of hide they use in the wild / the dry, rain, warm or cold season / the type of substrate / etc etc etc can be very interesting. With the time and experience you will have no problem dealing with these details.

This said, both way of keeping is up to each keeper, most will go for the bone dry substrate.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  6. Yes and in fact if a water dish is provide there is no need to water the substrate.

7. CedrikG

CedrikG Arachnoking Old Timer

Well ... I guess its your decision

8. I've got four p cambridgei at various sizes. For the smaller ones I lightly spray three times a week, once they are big enough for a water dish I give them one and spray once a week. They seem to be doing very well, so you can try that if you like.

Good luck! They are a fun species.

9. Paramite

Paramite Arachnoprince

OK, thanks for your help. I think I'm going to mist once or twice a week, just to make sure he/she can get enough water.

By the way, I'm getting P. pulcher next week. :)