1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P.Audax slings, the most labor intensive spiders

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by TylerFishman5675, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

1. TylerFishman5675

TylerFishman5675 Arachnosquire Active Member

America
    Advertisement
    during the summer I caught a female P.Audax, I caught a male in another town and bred them in captivity, I found that The female would never attack the male, But If I put another female in with her, she'd eat her (just an interesting thing to find out) the male escaped and I haven't found him since, the female of course laid a successful clutch and a month later I had slings no bigger than a pin head, I did not have the time to rear the tiny young, so I released them in the wild. The mother passed, and about a week and a half later I go to my sunflowers and find the same spiders I released into my garden had been gorging themselves on nectar, now a little bigger, I could feed them more sizesble prey, I have no culture of anything, so lucky me goes out in my lawn with a plastic bag, collecting any small flying insects I could find, I fed them tiny leaf hoppers for 3 weeks until they reached a size where they could take prey much larger than themselves, now I find another female and I put her in a Deli cup, She was already gravid when I caught her so she laid a sac, she died half way into guarding the sac as well. I opened the sac a little to see in and it turns out their are babies, luckily I accept the challenging of rearing these in captivity from eggs to adults, currently they are acclimated to eating larger prey despite their size, I just put a banana in an empty flower pot and wait for fruit flies to swarm it, then I catch them no more yard work :). both generations are doing great, the first babies I recived are very large and only a few molts away from adulthood, yay!