Owning Ts in a houseshare.

CJW

Arachnopeon
I recently got a new job which required me to relocate, so I moved into a shared house with a bunch of strangers. I have 4 Ts, a 3" B.hamorii and 3 slings (which I just got today), well long story short some of the other people in the house found out about them and decided they weren't too happy about it. This part I don't care too much about, however I have just found out that someone has thrown out the mealworms I was keeping in the fridge on my allocated shelf and in a plastic bag so nobody has to see them.

Nowhere was it mentioned that I wasn't allowed to keep pets in the house. Even then, they're hardly an imposition, basically being on the same level as a goldfish...

sorry for posting what is essentially just a rant but I am feeling a bit irritated and wanted to get it off my chest. I suppose what I really want to know is, can the landlord turn round and say "I don't want that in the house. Leave" even though a "No Pets" rule was never specified? The problem then is, it seems like it's impossible to find somewhere that would willingly let you stay there if you informed them beforehand about the Ts.

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Legally if there is nothing limiting or against pets in the lease agreement or contract I believe (I'm no legal professional) they can't evict you for it. But that being said if they don't like it they may be harder on you about other things and either refuse or make it to where you don't want to renew your lease if that makes sense

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't have gotten these Ts in your position but now that you have them I'd move if possible, if not well then I don't know. Sounds like you're in a hard place.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I guess one option is to try and get your housemates on the same page as you so they won't alert your landlord. (Having lived in similar situations, I know that's not always an easy task.) I've found it's not so much the Ts that roommates have a problem with as it is the feeders. I used to feed dubias until one escaped and freaked a roommate out. Mealworms in the fridge freak people out too. I guess I get it because it's where the food is, even though it's not like they're roaming free in there. But if you can get your roommates to back you up, you might be able to keep the Ts disguised/hidden from your landlord.

CJW

Arachnopeon
I guess one option is to try and get your housemates on the same page as you so they won't alert your landlord. (Having lived in similar situations, I know that's not always an easy task.) I've found it's not so much the Ts that roommates have a problem with as it is the feeders. I used to feed dubias until one escaped and freaked a roommate out. Mealworms in the fridge freak people out too. I guess I get it because it's where the food is, even though it's not like they're roaming free in there. But if you can get your roommates to back you up, you might be able to keep the Ts disguised/hidden from your landlord.
Yeah I can understand why they might have been a bit disgusted by them. But the facts are that they've gone through my stuff on my shelf and taken it upon themselves to simply throw out my property, honestly that's more disgusting in my opinion. It sucks that I now have to sneak around to not get kicked out because I have broken non-existent rules. The way people react when you ask them to let you keep Ts... It's like you're asking them to keep a tiger or something.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I think that no one can give to you a proper reply about what could happen in certain scenario.

IMO Everything depends about the landlord reaction to your T's... despite the fact that a 'no pets' rule, or something, wasn't present (and you can "use" this detail, btw) what if jumps out the old "my house, my rules" statement?

Well, now you live in the UK and as far as I know (talking in general, which isn't the best) in UK they are somewhat 'tolerant', but as I've said, depends.

Being you, however, I would be concerned more about the others sharing the house: I wouldn't love the thought to have random "T's hating freaks" near my T's when/if I'm not present :)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Do your roommates have pets that you may throw away their food for? So It seems if they were in a closed opaque bag which roommate cant keep their nose on their own shelf. Will they eat/drink your food as well? The problem first lies with equal respect from the roommates.

CJW

Arachnopeon
Do your roommates have pets that you may throw away their food for? So It seems if they were in a closed opaque bag which roommate cant keep their nose on their own shelf. Will they eat/drink your food as well? The problem first lies with equal respect from the roommates.
I've also had my shampoo and oddly enough toilet roll stolen. Maybe I should periodically throw away their food without asking.:shifty:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I've also had my shampoo and oddly enough toilet roll stolen. Maybe I should periodically throw away their food without asking.:shifty:
If you want to find the offender get some chocolate Ex Lax and put it in a batch of brownies......you will know who steals what inst theirs and or strong food coloring in the shampoo??

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Get your own place. If that's not possible I would try selling the tarantulas. Maybe pick it back up when u have your own space. It's not worth fighting with a house full of people over.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Wait---so u guys bring the toilet paper in with you??? Prison rules, my friend.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Are the roommates friendly otherwise -- is there any rapport? Could your Ts be in danger of them killing them (if roomies have arachnophobia).

I can't be sure how many of the 'items missing' are simply thoughtless, passive-aggressive, or a real risk to you.

CJW

Arachnopeon
Are the roommates friendly otherwise -- is there any rapport? Could your Ts be in danger of them killing them (if roomies have arachnophobia).

I can't be sure how many of the 'items missing' are simply thoughtless, passive-aggressive, or a real risk to you.
They're all fine otherwise. There's no risk of them getting to the Ts, there's a code lock on my room door.
Get your own place. If that's not possible I would try selling the tarantulas. Maybe pick it back up when u have your own space. It's not worth fighting with a house full of people over.
If it comes to it, I will get my own place. I'm not going to even consider selling them, why should I? If I decided arbitrarily that I didn't like something of someone else's which has no real impact on myself, would you expect them to get rid of it?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I recently got a new job which required me to relocate, so I moved into a shared house with a bunch of strangers. I have 4 Ts, a 3" B.hamorii and 3 slings (which I just got today), well long story short some of the other people in the house found out about them and decided they weren't too happy about it. This part I don't care too much about, however I have just found out that someone has thrown out the mealworms I was keeping in the fridge on my allocated shelf and in a plastic bag so nobody has to see them.

Nowhere was it mentioned that I wasn't allowed to keep pets in the house. Even then, they're hardly an imposition, basically being on the same level as a goldfish...

sorry for posting what is essentially just a rant but I am feeling a bit irritated and wanted to get it off my chest. I suppose what I really want to know is, can the landlord turn round and say "I don't want that in the house. Leave" even though a "No Pets" rule was never specified? The problem then is, it seems like it's impossible to find somewhere that would willingly let you stay there if you informed them beforehand about the Ts.
First of all I'd change what your feeding your Ts , something that doesn't need to go in the fridge . If their kept in your room them I can't see what the big deal is , you could also put some kind of lock on their set up , or do what I do with my slings or Dawrfs they are kept in a glass cabinet. Most people fear them getting out of their set ups if they fear them , if you can prove they can't , them that may make them except them . After all at least the Ts won't be like a cat or dog as in not being very house trained , and damaging the Lordlords carpets and furniture etc !

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
To me it seems your main issue is your feeders at this point, the simplest fix would be to get a little mini fridge, keep it in your room, problem solved. As for the other missing items, i would recommend you let it slide ONCE, don't resort to passive aggressive behavior, its petty and rarely gets you anywhere.If you find any other items missing, confront them and hash it out. If that doesn't work, honestly, i'd just tell them it got out and you can't find the T and have them live in terror for a while.(But im vindictive, so you may want to disregard the last part :alien)

CJW

Arachnopeon
To me it seems your main issue is your feeders at this point, the simplest fix would be to get a little mini fridge, keep it in your room, problem solved. As for the other missing items, i would recommend you let it slide ONCE, don't resort to passive aggressive behavior, its petty and rarely gets you anywhere.If you find any other items missing, confront them and hash it out. If that doesn't work, honestly, i'd just tell them it got out and you can't find the T and have them live in terror for a while.(But im vindictive, so you may want to disregard the last part :alien)
That's a great idea, i'll pick up a mini fridge this weekend!