Overseas Millipede shipping

centipeedle

Arachnosquire
I was wondering if the USPS considers millipedes to be poisonous “insects” and to be unmailable.
All help is appreciated.

Thanks, centipeedle

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You know, the problem isn't about the venom or else (in this case, a mere technical detail).

The problem is 'doing things right' VS 'brown boxing'.

It doesn't matter which invert/s is/are inside a parcel arriving in the States from abroad: if spotted, an harmless millipede or a potentially lethal arachnid are viewed the same (altough not venomous are always less sensationalistic, medias talking) if those entered/arrived without, from the receiver part, having all the importing papers/whatever needed.

You can legally import even a lethal specie of viper (if permitted in your state and by international agreements, obviously) doing things the right way :bored:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I was wondering if the USPS considers millipedes to be poisonous “insects” and to be unmailable.
All help is appreciated.

Thanks, centipeedle
The USPS considers millipedes "live harmless invertebrates". If you have a copy of their code, it is listed pretty quickly after chickens. I keep the page in my van; I have had to show it to the postal workers several times.

davehuth

Arachnoknight

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The USPS considers millipedes "live harmless invertebrates". If you have a copy of their code, it is listed pretty quickly after chickens. I keep the page in my van; I have had to show it to the postal workers several times.
I'm not an expert on postal regulations, but my own research also shows that millipedes are permissible in proper packaging and labeling.

The postal publication that specifies this is No. 526, "Mailable Live Animals," currently found here online:
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm#ep184096

The rule is summarized in letter form in Customer Support Ruling PS-106 (2014 revision):
https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/ps-106.htm
Yes, but within homeland U.S. When millipedes are shipped from abroad (Europe, Asia etc) isn't 'brown boxing' as well? Without all of the required import stuff needed, I mean :)

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Yes, but within homeland U.S. When millipedes are shipped from abroad (Europe, Asia etc) isn't 'brown boxing' as well? Without all of the required import stuff needed, I mean :)
Apologies, I didn't take into account the thread title "Overseas" when considering your question "I was wondering if the USPS considers millipedes to be poisonous “insects” and to be unmailable."

Using USPS to send or receive any invertebrates across the US border is restricted without the necessary permits and fees. Doing so in violation of regulations in various ways is broadly referred to as "brown boxing." This remains a persistent issue because some permits can be difficult to obtain, and fees can be high. As I stated, I'm not an expert – but as far as I'm aware there are no exceptions for "personal use" or "non-commercial use" or "low quantities" or "just for my hobby" or any other purpose.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Apologies, I didn't take into account the thread title "Overseas" when considering your question "I was wondering if the USPS considers millipedes to be poisonous “insects” and to be unmailable."

Using USPS to send or receive any invertebrates across the US border is restricted without the necessary permits and fees. Doing so in violation of regulations in various ways is broadly referred to as "brown boxing." This remains a persistent issue because some permits can be difficult to obtain, and fees can be high. As I stated, I'm not an expert – but as far as I'm aware there are no exceptions for "personal use" or "non-commercial use" or "low quantities" or "just for my hobby" or any other purpose.
Exactly: that's why I've said that about 'brown boxing' :)

While millipedes are considered by USPS (but only internal U.S shipping talking) 'ok', the very moment someone order millipedes (or other inverts/animals) from abroad, without the required import papers (nothing but cash & bureaucrecy, being honest), is, as we know, 'brown boxing'.

I don't want to assume nothing, don't get me wrong, but IMO the OP mistaken the 'non venomous' with 'shipping' and 'legality tout court when it comes to import those'.

A lot of people, unfortunately, are under the impression that, the so called 'brown boxing', is an arachnid/other venomous animals related only issue. They are wrong. Without the needed papers, a spider, a 'pede, a frog, or whatever... are the same.

Last edited: