Overheating...

ketx

Arachnopeon
I have set two 50w ceramic heat emitter bulbs and the temp goes up to 95.6f or 96.5fone side of the enclosure and it is right under neath the lamp but about 80% of the enclosure is 86-90f on daytime and the temp inside of his hide is 86-90f also. I know scorpion natural behaviour of escaping the heat is to deep burrow into the substrate but is this gonna overheat my desert scorpion? cuz sometime he is gonna sit on one side of enclosure where its over 95f after I turned on my lamps on in the morningand im afraid that he keep digging substrate and not going inside his hide even though the temp isnt gonna go lower and change much which overheat. is he able to escape from it? my substrate isnt quite deep around 1.5 to 2inches deep

Last edited:

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
What kind of scorpions do you have? Almost 90% of the time there is no need for a heat lamp or heat pad or anything else requiring heat. I usually live in Florida but I currently am in Denver, where the temperatures are -40 with windchill on the worst of days. I have no problems keeping any of my scorpion species without heat lamps or pads. The house itself and the room they’re kept in is kept it probably a constant 71° average and 65° lowest. I’d recommend removing any extra heating supplements. How big is the enclosure? We need to see some pics of the animal and the enclosure so we can help determine what’s going wrong if you think there’s something happening

ketx

Arachnopeon
What kind of scorpions do you have? Almost 90% of the time there is no need for a heat lamp or heat pad or anything else requiring heat. I usually live in Florida but I currently am in Denver, where the temperatures are -40 with windchill on the worst of days. I have no problems keeping any of my scorpion species without heat lamps or pads. The house itself and the room they’re kept in is kept it probably a constant 71° average and 65° lowest. I’d recommend removing any extra heating supplements. How big is the enclosure? We need to see some pics of the animal and the enclosure so we can help determine what’s going wrong if you think there’s something happening
I have androctonus bicolor and cholistanus and Im keeping them tupperware container around 11"×6.3"× 6". I know androctonus need high temp in order to molt properly and its pretty cold here when its winter. Thats why I used two 50w ceramic heat emitter. I dont use thermostat on both of them cuz I measured the temp on every enclosure every day with temp gun and its around 86-90f but only one side of the enclosure is over 95f

Last edited:

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
I have androctonus bicolor and cholistanus and Im keeping them tupperware container around 11"×6.3"× 6". I know androctonus need high temp in order to molt properly and its pretty cold here when its winter. Thats why I used two 50w ceramic heat emitter. I dont use thermostat on both of them cuz I measured the temp on every enclosure every day with temp gun and its around 86-90f but only one side of the enclosure is over 95f
First of all, beautiful choices for scorpions! Next, what temperature do you keep your house at? I definitely understand it’s cold where you live; Everybody has different preferences in that regard and that will help to understand a lot. Don’t worry too much about molting either. there’s no need to keep it super humid, keep an eye on pre molt signs, and then worry about it. If Nothing is going wrong, and your scorpions aren’t trying to escape, chances are things are just fine. Scorpions aren’t exactly determined escapists, they can’t climb plastic and smooth surfaces. make sure they have food and water and a hide and they’re pretty much good to go!!

ketx

Arachnopeon
First of all, beautiful choices for scorpions! Next, what temperature do you keep your house at? I definitely understand it’s cold where you live; Everybody has different preferences in that regard and that will help to understand a lot. Don’t worry too much about molting either. there’s no need to keep it super humid, keep an eye on pre molt signs, and then worry about it. If Nothing is going wrong, and your scorpions aren’t trying to escape, chances are things are just fine. Scorpions aren’t exactly determined escapists, they can’t climb plastic and smooth surfaces. make sure they have food and water and a hide and they’re pretty much good to go!!
my room temp is usually 70f- 74f. isnt possible to overheating them if they sit on one side of the enclosure where its over 95f in early morning? I heard that they tend to escape from the heat by burrowing into sand while the heat coming from right above them. I saw one of them sitting one side of the enclosure where its over 95f and keep digging the sand even though his hide is cooler. I immidiately move them into his hide.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
It's not too hot, but ceramic heat emitters can be put on a thermostat if you're worried about overheating.

The house itself and the room they’re kept in is kept it probably a constant 71° average and 65° lowest.
In my opinion not warm enough for the majority of species, especially desert species such as the ones discussed here.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions are ectothermic they thermoregulate similar to reptiles. You have good temps. Place a cork bark hide at each end so the scorpion can choose its preferable temps. All heat lamps require a thermostat for both the safety and health of the pet but also the owner (potential fire hazard).

CHE = pulse proportional thermostat
Light emitting heat lamps = dimming thermostat

ketx

Arachnopeon
Scorpions are ectothermic they thermoregulate similar to reptiles. You have good temps. Place a cork bark hide at each end so the scorpion can choose its preferable temps. All heat lamps require a thermostat for both the safety and health of the pet but also the owner (potential fire hazard).

CHE = pulse proportional thermostat
Light emitting heat lamps = dimming thermostat
I agree but I measured the temp with temp gun everyday. I know what is the temp inside the enclosure and its around 86-90f but highest temp is 92-93f and never go over 94 when 66f is the lowest room temp can go in winter and 75f is the highest room temp can go in winter. its just one side of enclosure is over 95f where the lamp is placed right above that side
agree but I measured temp everyday on every enclosure and I know its around 86-90f but the highest temp is 92-93f and never go over 94f when the room temp is 66f which is the minimum temp can go in winter and the room temp is 75f which is the maximum room temp can go in winter. its just one side of enclosure get really hot +95f (around 96-99f) but 80-90% of enclosure is 86-93f

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
It's not too hot, but ceramic heat emitters can be put on a thermostat if you're worried about overheating.

In my opinion not warm enough for the majority of species, especially desert species such as the ones discussed here.
Agreed, that’s just the ambient room temp of my house. We just had -20 degree weather and -40 windchill. Some people keep their houses super warm or warm super cold so I was just curious. I have a heating element near my desert/arid setup that keeps things in the upper 80’s :)

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
my room temp is usually 70f- 74f. isnt possible to overheating them if they sit on one side of the enclosure where its over 95f in early morning? I heard that they tend to escape from the heat by burrowing into sand while the heat coming from right above them. I saw one of them sitting one side of the enclosure where its over 95f and keep digging the sand even though his hide is cooler. I immidiately move them into his hide.
Just take the excellent advice from @Joey Spijkers and
@Outpost31Survivor and IGNORE this "everything is okay at room temperature ". crap

You really should connect your heating to a reliable thermostat, no source of heating should be used uncontrolled, things do go wrong sometimes with heating equipment and in smaller containers there's no escaping excessive heat.

Last edited:

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
To clarify I’m not advocating for everything being okay at room temp, I definitely think each species should be given their proper temps :) I was distracted earlier and probably misread, I thought op was worried their scorpion was too hot/going to overheat so I was curious what their invert room temps were like. Apologies!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
@kingshockey .

So you think that advising someone to keep scorpions, especially arid ones, at temperatures between 18 and 21 and to remove the heat source is helpful ??
i dont have an opinion either way about that i only agreed with viper about op being worried the scorp was gonna over heat. i dont know enough about scorps to even comment on this thread

Last edited: