Overfed or well fed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Make an interesting point. There are some species that don’t get massive no matter how frequently they eat.
Massive is a relative term. A dwarf could be massive by being 4 inches

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Make an interesting point. There are some species that don’t get massive no matter how frequently they eat.
Yep, my point exactly. I wasn't talking about 'power feeding' in regards (correct) of 'food and temperature' pushed up but about certain species that, no matter, tend to remain with a sorta 'slim line' shape, while basically others species turns into a Sumo fighter on eight legs pretty easily :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it is not wrong lol frankly they’re all opinions, more so on your side cus mine have been proven countlessly. Nothing I’ve said has misled the op lol. If anything u have with your misguided opinions and non facts. You do know that over feeding means eating too much which is impossible with anything cus u need food to survive. You all are stating side effects that could happen as a result of eating too much. U literally mean it by saying the word “can”. A person CAN get diabetes from eating too much doesn’t mean that’s the case
So my experience I posted with my Emilia is not a fact? So you have now called me a liar.

Misguided— that’s a “joke” too.

You’re very post above supports everything we have been writing.

And you contradicted yourself in that post while supporting our point at the same time. Hahahahahah

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
So my experience I posted with my Emilia is not a fact? So you have now called me a liar.

Misguided— that’s a “joke” too.

You’re very post above supports everything we have been writing.

And you contradicted yourself in that post while supporting our point at the same time. Hahahahahah
Lol how did I contradict myself. I never once said it couldn’t happen cus I know it COULD. You’re talking like it will happen a result

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol how did I contradict myself. I never once said it couldn’t happen cus I know it COULD. You’re talking like it will happen a result
I never wrote it would, please quote me where I wrote that.

cold blood

Staff member
MOD NOTE

heated discussions are fine, but dont make things personal here or the thread will be closed.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ive
@The Grym Reaper since she has gotten more massive due to growth it has become an issue. I no longer feed her as frequently.
+1

I failed to previously mention that once my ts are full blown adults i dont really powerfeed anymore.

I do feed like theres no tomorrow, however, if i need to speed up a molt in hopes of starting a project.

Once theyre full on adults i see no point in packing on the weight. Plus my collection is 99% OW arboreal (asian) so the more full they are, the less likely it is ill see them out hunting

boina

Lady of the mites
I have this D. diamantinensis. Got her several years ago as a fully adult and hugely fat female. Since then I've been feeding her sparingly but she's slow in loosing weight since she doesn't grow anymore - at all. This is her after her last (and recent) mold:

IMG_8075 (2).JPG

The pedicel is really elongated and she was completely unable to lift her abdomen, dragging it after her instead. A close up of the pedicel:

IMG_8073 (2).JPG

It was like that after every molt in my care (I think 3 so far). It will get a bit better once she is fully hardened but the pedicel always seems very long and she always seems to have problems moving her abdomen the way other spiders do. And this is a dwarf species. I've seen something similar, though not to this extend with my A. genic that I myself fed until she was huge - it's easy with a genic, they'll eat everything and always.

I can't prove that this pedicel problem has something to do with her being hugely fat when I got her but I think there is a distinct possibility it has. Since I saw that the first time I've been much more careful with feeding, especially with fully adult spiders that won't put fat into growth.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I have this D. diamantinensis. Got her several years ago as a fully adult and hugely fat female. Since then I've been feeding her sparingly but she's slow in loosing weight since she doesn't grow anymore - at all. This is her after her last (and recent) mold:

View attachment 292484

The pedicel is really elongated and she was completely unable to lift her abdomen, dragging it after her instead. A close up of the pedicel:

View attachment 292483

It was like that after every molt in my care (I think 3 so far). It will get a bit better once she is fully hardened but the pedicel always seems very long and she always seems to have problems moving her abdomen the way other spiders do. And this is a dwarf species. I've seen something similar, though not to this extend with my A. genic that I myself fed until she was huge - it's easy with a genic, they'll eat everything and always.

I can't prove that this pedicel problem has something to do with her being hugely fat when I got her but I think there is a distinct possibility it has. Since I saw that the first time I've been much more careful with feeding, especially with fully adult spiders that won't put fat into growth.
It is things like this that warrant a mildly terrifying rating.

Newt83

Arachnopeon
@tkid02
How long have you owned T’s? How many do you have?
Maybe you shouldn’t be giving advice that you don’t know them as fact. Many newbies can take your suggestions and end up negatively effecting their pets health. There are plenty of folks who have already commented that have years if not decades of experience. Arguing your incorrect point is only muddying the water for the Op.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
This is a pretty common discussion. “How much do you feed a T?” My go-to response to this is usually to take all of your previous animal husbandry instincts and throw them out the window. Because Ts are extremely different from anything else people keep as pets. Usually, people starting out will offer way more food than a spider needs. Which is not necessarily overfeeding. But just understand that a spider needs VERY little food to be healthy. In the wild, they are lie-and-wait ambush predators. They spend most of their time in a meditative “trans” state, using just enough energy to remain alive. Think about a laptop on standby. They are adapted to survive on very little. With that said, I believe that it is way easier to overfeed than it is to underfeed. So I often steer toward less food, rather than more. Keeping them a little more on the hungry side also makes their condition more obvious through their behavior. They will have a stronger feeding response. So when they DO refuse food, it’s nearly guaranteed that it’s molt time (assuming you have all other husbandry aspects dialed in already).

Think about a sea otter. Even within the Mammalian clade (like us), they are vastly different. A sea otter eats around 25% of its body weight each day. If I ate that much, I would die.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
@tkid02
How long have you owned T’s? How many do you have?
Maybe you shouldn’t be giving advice that you don’t know them as fact. Many newbies can take your suggestions and end up negatively effecting their pets health. There are plenty of folks who have already commented that have years if not decades of experience. Arguing your incorrect point is only muddying the water for the Op.
How am I incorrect.They are all really opinions at the end of the day. Do you have a thought on the matter or just bandwagging lol. There are people with years of experience that have agreed with my posts. Doesn’t matter how many I have to know it isn’t a prevalent factor to concern about

Newt83

Arachnopeon
No I don’t have an educated opinion based on experience . That’s why I don’t comment on threads when I don’t have the experience to offer opinions.
I have 17 T’s both OW and NW....just because I have them and I am knowledgeable about their care doesn’t mean I’m qualified to offer advice to a newbie.
I know what it was like starting out trying to sort through all the info as well as trying to determine who’s advice to take.
Im not gonna add any more useless posts on the OP’s topic arguing. Im simply suggesting that you try to offer opinions on what you have knowledge of. Arguing and discounting the advice of people that have had tarantulas for decades isn’t helping the OP or anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.