Overfed or well fed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tincan1999

Arachnopeon
0096328E-F1E9-4ECA-85DC-45590027BEE0.jpeg Sorry for the strange picture, that’s her new favorite place to stand. Do you guys think she’s overfed? I’m thinking that she is but this is my first tarantula and I don’t really know for sure. For the past month i’ve gone to once a week feeding from three crickets every two weeks. I get medium/large crickets at the store, should I keep up this feeding routine with small crickets??? Also, she doesn’t climb at all in this enclosure so I don’t have fears of her falling and hurting herself.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
She is fine. Will probably molt in several months to a year. That actually sounds like a good feeding routine. Keep it up. Also, is that coco coir? Finally, as long as the height from the substrate to the lid is at the most 1.5crimes the diagonal legspan of the tarantula there are little chances of them being hurt in a fall.

tincan1999

Arachnopeon
That actually sounds like a good feeding routine. Keep it up.
Awesome, I will.
Also, is that coco coir?
Yeah, it is, the kind you get in bricks and soak in water. I dried it outside and put it in the oven for a while before I used it.
as long as the height from the substrate to the lid is at the most 1.5crimes the diagonal legspan of the tarantula there are little chances of them being hurt in a fall.
Substrate to lid is about 1.5 of her legspan, I had troubles with her climbing when I first got her so I made sure her second enclosure was safe. She doesn't climb at all now... maybe she liked glass better than plastic?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
You can't overfeed slings, juvies and adults can get so fat that they can no longer lift their abdomens off of the ground when they walk, this can result in drag injuries and damage to the book lungs.
maybe some cases but not all. how could u over feed something when it refuses food lol

Last edited by a moderator:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
You can't overfeed slings, juvies and adults can get so fat that they can no longer lift their abdomens off of the ground when they walk, this can result in drag injuries and damage to the book lungs.
Ah, forgot about that. Well, rating undid.

tincan1999

Arachnopeon
maybe some cases but not all. how could u over feed something if it won't eat all the time
my t would probably eat everything i give her, i think it's also an individual thing. but the point is that if you feed/your t eats too much and its abdomen is too large for it to lift, it can get injured

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
my t would probably eat everything i give her, i think it's also an individual thing. but the point is that if you feed/your t eats too much and its abdomen is too large for it to lift, it can get injured
yes, then your t would then go a time without eating as a result... they're not fish, they'll eat when they're hungry and won't if they aren't. And yes obviously it could take damage but I’m saying that is not the case for many

And to 'overfeed” you’d basically have to powerfeed which is basically the same

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
maybe some cases but not all. how could u over feed something if it won't eat all the time
yes, then your t would then go a long time without eating to make up for that... they're not fish
The same way you overfeed anything else, give it too much food, if I raid the all-you-can-eat buffet every other day, you can bet I'll get so large that it will eventually cause complications. Yes, they're not going to eat until they explode in a shower of innards on some Mr Creosote shit, but a ridiculously oversized abdomen will eventually cause the aforementioned problems.

powerfeed (food available to it 24/7)
Le sigh. "Powerfeeding" involves keeping the animal at increased temperatures to speed up metabolism, if you're not taking additional steps to increase the aniumal's metabolism then all you're doing is overfeeding the animal.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Le sigh. "Powerfeeding" involves keeping the animal at increased temperatures to speed up metabolism, if you're not taking additional steps to increase the aniumal's metabolism then all you're doing is overfeeding the animal.
you're right. i didn't think i would have to mention that part lol cus i assumed people would know that as well but not to confuse beginners i'll edit it

The same way you overfeed anything else, give it too much food, if I raid the all-you-can-eat buffet every other day, you can bet I'll get so large that it will eventually cause complications.
not if u have a fast metabolism :troll: but that's like i said, some cases but not all. individuals vary u know that. what im saying is t's will stop whenever they want, they have instincts

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont stop feeding any of my ts until they stop themselves, and have never had any issues.

Does that answer your question?

Is that over feeding?

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I dont stop feeding any of my ts until they stop themselves, and have never had any issues.

Does that answer your question?

Is that over feeding?
this is what i've been saying. they know when to stop lol

and how could u over feed slings but not juvies lol? they still have a lot of growing to do

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
maybe some cases but not all. how could u over feed something if it won't eat all the time lol
Have you ever fed Pamphos, Theraphosas or other large NWs? Tarantulas are opportunistic feeders, they’re going to eat as much as the can as they don’t know when they’re going to eat next. They’ll get pretty large and that not a good position to be in. With slings it’s fine as they molt frequently, juvies and adults, not so much.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Have you ever fed Pamphos, Theraphosas or other large NWs? Tarantulas are opportunistic feeders, they’re going to eat as much as the can as they don’t know when they’re going to eat next. They’ll get pretty large and that not a good position to be in. With slings it’s fine as they molt frequently, juvies and adults, not so much.
Yea I have an lp. But they will stop when they get full is what I’m saying.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
and how could u over feed slings but not juvies lol
I said you can't overfeed slings, you can overfeed juvies and adults as they go longer between moults which increases the risk of them sustaining drag injuries, it also increases the likelihood of injuries from falls (although a proper setup helps to negate this risk).

Status
Not open for further replies.