1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overfed a scorpion?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Mairo, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    Advertisement
    I'm going away for a week so I gave my heterometrus petersii a roach thats almost half is size, he has been eating it since yesterday night and he is getting a bit fat.
    Is that too much for him? Could he have trouble with his exoskeleton?

2. Outpost31Survivor

Outpost31Survivor Arachnosquire Active Member

He should be fine, scorpions have been known to be fatties if fed larger quantities of food and remain perfectly healthy. It was a smart ideal to give him a robust meal for a week's absence. But next time I would try smaller crickets (or roaches) and observe and regulate his feeding then cease giving him live food if his tergite scales begin to have an overally obese appearance.

If anything he may refuse several feedings in the immediate future.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  3. Outpost31Survivor

Is it fully mature? If not, it will likely moult and regain its leanness afterwards and you will have a larger scorpion.

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  4. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    Thanks for the tip, I think its fully mature his last moult was like a year ago.
    Also yeah I usually feed him crickets I had to give him a roach this time cause I ran out of those.
    Last time I went away I left two crickets in the enclosure but they both died and weren't eaten, maybe because of the humidity.

5. Outpost31Survivor

If he is fully mature I wouldn't worry about it. His exoskeleton is fine. General rule of thumb, the larger the prey item, the longer the interval between feedings. Scorpions can be fatties if fed larger prey or larger quantities of prey especially if the feedings are unsupervised. Scorpions will never eat themselves to death.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  6. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    I usually regulate feedings, if its a big meal once a week, if its cricket one every three days. My scorpion has been lean for this past few years with this diet but I don't know if a cricket every 3 days is too little.

7. Outpost31Survivor

Maybe try 2-3 crickets twice a week. But your scorpion is definitely not starving just try increasing the quantity.

8. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    I'll try that,I usually have trouble getting crickets since I can only rely on internet shipping, considering the only animal shop here has closed.
    I tried getting larger quantities but whenever I have to travel for at least a week nobody can take care of them and almost all of them die.

9. Outpost31Survivor

Hopefully, someone will chime in with an answer or a solution. I have a family run pet store a mile away from my house.

10. FrankiePinchinatti

FrankiePinchinatti Arachnopeon Active Member

I know it's slightly off topic, but I would look into raising your own feeders in that case. Crickets are a pain in the ass and smell horrible, so I would look into breeding either superworms or roaches. On your scale superworms might be better, roaches breed like crazy and if you're only feeding the equivalent of 1 small roach a week or less you'll probably get overrun quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    The roaches i gave him were those hissing large ones from madagascar, the one I fed him today was the last one so now I'm empty again.
    I would prefer to raise mealworms or roaches over crickets not because of their stench but more because of the fact that they die easily and make too much noise.
    If I can't find mealworms what type of roach would you suggest?

12. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

13. Mairo

Mairo Arachnopeon

Italy
    If its red runners can they breed in a 30x20 cm terrarium with some coconut powder in the ground and a lot of hiding spots?
    I should I change it for them to breed in it? Like different temperatures, ground level or brightness?

14. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

It'll be alright. Just no need to feed as much until it slims down a bit.

• Like Like x 1