1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over feeding a desert hairy

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Hiking Mike, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I gust got my first scorpion, a desert hairy. The first night I feed him, he ate 5 medium crickets. the next day fed him 2 I left 4 more overnight and they dissapeared. So over 2 days he's had 10-12 crickets, is he just hungry? Will he ever over eat, or should I just feed him till he stops? Thanks!

2. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoangel Active Member

Definitely stop! Over eating can cause them health and digestive problems. Give him a 2 week break

3. scorp will stop eating if its full but dont feed it too many in a single serve spread it out in a week

what everybody teach me here is that for
    young ones 2-3 meal a week not more than half the body of the scorp
    adults once or twice every 7-14days

but 10 crickets in 2 days that a whole month of my 3i p trans hahah

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Once a week is fine.

5. GingerC

GingerC Arachnosquire Active Member

Haha, what a glutton! They're only supposed to eat around once a week or so, so you should definitely slow things down a bit or your scorp might end up with some health issues. Congratulations on your new pet; the desert hairy is one of my favorites- they used to live all over my yard when I was little.

6. He may have been extra hungry from being shipped, Idk when his last feeding was. I will definitely cut back, thanks for the advice!

7. ArachnoDrew

Is this the one you purchased from pinchers and pokies? Post a pic of em

8. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

I agree, that is a large amount of food to consume at once. Remember, H. arizonensis is like a lot of predatory invertebrates, they never know when their next meal is coming along so very often they will jump on any opportunity to eat. We have to monitor them to make sure they aren't blowing up like a balloon.

Excellent choice of Scorpion by the way. They are on average fairly active and usually sting their prey which is always interesting to observe.

9. Hadrurus pallidus from pinchers and pokies, pics are from the day he arrived. He's been pretty active so far, exploring and digging. Snapchat-45509680.jpg Snapchat-633378616.jpg 20170413_114631.jpg

10. ArachnoDrew

Interesting enclosures cool hides are they glued? . How deep is your substrate .seems like he wants to burrow but can't

11. Thanks, it's a 20 gallon tank, the substrate ranges from 4-6 inches. I did put some upside down bread pans in the center to take up some space and to encourage his tunnels to be closer to he glass. He has dug in 3 or more inches under the rock in the picture. I used wet clay to help hold the rocks, I didnt want to put glue or chemicals in the tank 20170418_135447.jpg 20170418_135428.jpg

12. ArachnoDrew

Oh ok nvm plenty deep enough lol

13. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Nice enclosure setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight Active Member

He looks healthy and happy, nice setup.