OutBack Reptiles

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pfft! Can't stand these guys. They are just so darn greasy.
I was at their table in a reptile expo once and saw a guy hand them a ball python that he said he didn't want any more with nothing else said. Later the Outback guys said it was a captive bred they've had for years about the same ball python!
Almost all of their animals are wild caught and in bad condition at the shows. The thing that urks me most about their wild caught selling is that it is nothing rare! Just commonly bred stuff like Ball Pythons and Tiawan Beauty's. There is absolutely no point in taking stuff out of the ecosystem that is already being captive bred in large numbers.
I know a petsmart worker that gets me my crickets and also works for them on the side for some extra cash. He said "There was a large Tokay gecko loose that attacked and killed an Armadillo lizard at the secret Prince William County facility once."
Just last night I was on the kingsnake.com spider classifieds and saw an H. maculata ad posted that night. I really wanted one so even though they were greasy it was a good price [Although wildcaught.]so I wanted to buy one or two. I read on the forsale 9-5 calls do take priority. So I called multiple times the next day between 9-10 and gave my phone number through answer machine once but no one picked up. So I go on kingsnake today and see the maculata ad gone. How you could sell maculatas in just one night I don't know! Then looked on other arachnids/insects and see they left an ad on African millipedes at 10:20! Just a few minutes after I called! In the millipede ad they even admitted they hadn't imported them yet. Now why sell something you don't even have?
These are not nice or fair people! Don't do business with them at all!
http://market.insecthobbyist.com/detail.php?cat=10&de=204614
TBH

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have

I have to say I have recieved stuff from them before without complaints really. They have been good on all my orders to this point. Sorry to hear about your bad dealings though. As to the HMacs they really do sell them overnight cause they are a wholesale company too and they sell to dealers and shops sometimes that buy like 50 at a time so its very possible they sold out of them overnight. I know I do sometimes when I wholesale stuff.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How do they sell out when they aren't even in business to sell out? They weren't there when I call so I don't get how they were selling out by not being there. Or my suspicions were right and they don't even answer their phones that they claim to take priority. It is also a fact that they admitted to selling things they don't have.
TBH

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out back reptiles

They have sold limited amounts of Arachnids at the White Plains New York show last year, although recently, I noticed that there at this past Sept show were not any for sale.. I refer to the live Damon variegatus which He (Ian) had got with another shipment of reptiles.just had to comment..Tom

Wolf

Arachnopeon
In response to anyone who is posting any negativity towards them are wrong. I have dealing with them for a while now and I have never had any complaints. I just wanted to drop a note to let everyone know who deals with and wants to deal Outback Reptiles. As far animals go, there quality is outstanding. They will be completely honest about what looks good and what is feeding otherwise they will not sell them. Roland, Ryan, and Ian are great at customer service and will go out of there way to help in any way they can. I highly recomend them and I will continue to buy from when ever I need.
If anyone disagrees, they are wrong.
Thanks
Greg Malvino
Walk On The Wildside
www.walkwildside.com

BillsBugs

Arachnopeon
<edit> If you cannot identify the difference between a leucy pine and a blood, <edit>. I have done a lot of business with Ian and his crew for the past ten years. If you didnt notice how large their table set up is, you might take into consideration that they are making labels through out the whole show for the displays.

The biggest thing that lacks in the R.A.A.(reptile, amphibian, arachnid) industry is integrity and honesty. Maybe you would like Ian or his guy Ryan to lie to you at the show. They are always the first to tell you the truth about the animal they have and strongly suggest buying a book from maryland reptile farm. The way I see it, they are people I appreciate doing business with because they care. Unfortunately, you probably caught them at a busy time.

Last edited by a moderator:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've purchased alot of animals from Ian (Outback) and he's never let me down,from common stuff to rare snakes and inverts. Ian and his sales rep. Rolland are both really knowledgeable people in the herpworld and I've gotten some really nice stuff from them on several occasions without a single complaint.

They are generally wholesalers and those shows are always a hectic mob scene so you can't be surprised if you don't have the staff there killing themselves to answer your every question, as previously stated you would be better off just calling them at the office during the week.

I recently dealt with Rolland for some inverts and he sent me some real beauties!
I plan on doing more business with them in the future without a doubt!

BillsBugs

Arachnopeon
There a bad breeder and importer and that is that
You better Learn the Truths before you keep Posting.... Bottom line. I have seen their shipments come in before. They are some of the only people that take extreme measures on taking care of the new arrivals. I know for a fact 2 of the guys will work three days straight with no sleep to ensure all animals get fully hydrated and care that they need.

If you want to keep making balderdash remarks.... pick up a book, you will also see Ians name im many books for captive bred morphs of many species..... and that is that

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Talk about the subject at hand. Start calling each other trolls and pretend to be moderators some more and the thread gets closed and infractions get handed out.

biggyfeck

Arachnopeon
I have been a customer of Outback Reptiles for many years and am slightly amused by the attacks against them that I read here. I have purchased more animals from them than I can even hope to remember and there is not a single instance, not one in almost 20 years, that I can say that I was given information that wasn't accurate or truthful. If I purchased a wild-caught animal I was told that it was. When I purchased captive bred animals I was told who produced them. Ian and his team serve as an information repository for many other industry professionals. To suggest that their talent for husbandry is poor or that their animal identification skills are weak is laughable. You lose your credibility by suggesting such things.

To other readers of this thread: Outback Reptiles is a staple of the industry. Their animal knowledge is unmatched, their offerings broad, and their husbandry skills excellent. The suggestions of the negative posters in this thread are simply not true. They are, in fact, comical.

uninterested

Arachnopeon
DavidD...

What is often the case with herp hobbyists is that they are more experienced with their area of interest than they are in others. While you may know the difference between a taiwan, yunnan, etc you may not necessarily be an expert on, say, sand boas or something like that. So whoever you talked to may not have been an expert on beauty snakes or whatever you were asking about. It's always better to say 'I don't know' than to make something up that sounds good and spread incorrect information that way.

Anyways, I find your signature quote to be very appropriate

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. John F Kennedy"

Last edited:

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've known Ian and Rolland for many years and have done business with both of them countless times. I know Ian may some times come off cocky but when you get to know him he's a damn cool person. I have purchased some of the best looking animals from "Outback" from there signature line of Ball morphs to Inverts. Not to mention Ian has also paved the way for many ball morph breeders by desgining some of the best looking specimens some people have ever seen like the genetic red stripe ball morph and many others.

To me there knowledge and expertise is second to none....

"Don't hate appreciate" for what Ian and his staff are doing...Just my 2 cents

Flower

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Outback supplies all of the stores in my area. I own many Outback critters for better or for worse. They seem hit and miss. I HAVE had bad experiences, and they do seem sketch at times.

I was sold an A. avic with nematodes and had a minor outbreak in my collection. That made me really POed. I also had a Haitian Brown that I bought who was very sick and died soon after I got him. Other Haitian browns in local stores were also very sick and wasting away. Alternatively, my other two Haitians are also from Outback and appear to be healthy; a year later approximately. I have also had a few scorpions from him, flat-rocks and emperors, and they are a lot less hardy that they should be. I have had several mysteriously die, when being cared for correctly, I might add.

I had one situation where I was spoken to very rudely. The Outback* guy came into Fin and Feather and had a lot of critters to sell to the store. I asked him some questions about his scorpions and he kept blowing me off. This weird tall chick in a fur jacket (stereotypically hot save for being taller than a giraffe) came in and started madly hitting on him. They got to talking about ball pythons, and at the time I had been seeking a ball python morph. She wanted to see the morphs he had with him in his truck to sell to another store, and they started to walk outside. I asked if I could see too, and they ignored me, so I just followed them. We get outside and look at the babies, and he talked a little about each one, and I saw one I liked. I asked how much it was, and he looked me square in the face and said, "More than you can afford, I'm sure." The giraffe thought that was pretty funny. What a jerk! How would he know what I could afford? I don't know which of the Outback guys it was, but seriously, how rude.

Anyhow, I do have some snakes and spiders of his, and other than what I listed above, they're all healthy enough. All of his stuff (arachnids at least, I think he might breed snakes) are wild caught and mostly male, and health is often questionable. Usually they come in cool containers, but I have bought some where the containers were a bit mite-covered. Sometimes he has females and sells them for the same price as males because he doesn't seem to care. And then you can get a good deal. If you get a spider from these guys, quarantine it, seriously. Keep it out of your spider room till you are sure it's safe.

This is my personal experience. My couple bad experiences were really bad, but I probably have had more good ones than bad. His reptiles seem better off than his spiders. I am not saying you should boycott his animals or confront him rudely at shows, just make sure you quarantine his spiders. Even if they didn't become sick in his care per se, they're mostly wild caught and thus questionable.

I know they do good work with ball pythons, and have some really amazing ones. I believe they produced the Panda Pied Ball, which is a gorgeous animal. When they deliver snakes and even scorpions to stores, the enclosures tend to be neat and clean. Again, the spiders seem to be the only really sketchy thing.

*I would also like to add that apparently Outback is three or more guys? I don't know which guy by name this was who was rude to me, only that I recognize him whenever I see him. Maybe he's just rude and the other guys are nice? Maybe he was attempting to make a joke? That freaky woman wasn't helping either, she was also *very* rude and arrogant.

Last edited:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought a bunch of stuff this weekend from Outback reptiles and as usual I got great stuff at amazing prices! I personally deal with Ian every time and he always makes sure I walk away super happy.