Out of the P.transvaalicus business

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, my male just died. Damn these Buthidae and their short lifespans. Anyhow, they are a great species for sure and I will definitely get more at some point in the future. I'm still a bit bummed that the female died before partuition.

On a brighter note, I have soem P.leiosoma now. Not quite as nifty as the P.transvaalicus, but definitely a nice speices.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find my P. leio very interesting, when he comes out . Burrows almost as much/deep as my H. arizonensis.

Mat

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Sorry to hear that Dave...but look on the bright side...it frees up space for new critters and now you can study the deceased female under your scope and learn from your loss.

John
];')

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a bummer Dave. If there's a way for me to get you some baby P. trans, consider it done. (granted we have a successfull brood)

How long have you had your P. trans. It's been a while, no?

Atrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, space is at a premium now. I bought a new shelving unit for the scorpions and that helped with some of the stacks I had accumulating on my floor. I still don't have proper shelving space for all my scorps, though, and there are always more on the way.

I got my P.transvaalicus somewhere between a year and a year and a half ago. Fairly long, but not long enough.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's P. trans got that P.leiosoma doesn't? Or in other words, I'm still settling on a new scorp. P. trans is at the top of the list now, though I hear they are one of the more illusive scorpions--that is, they hide a lot. Sounds, however, like you were very fond of yours. Any reason in particular? (I realize this is hard, seeing as how you just lost them. If it's to soon to reminisce I'm sure we'll all understand:) )

Peace, Chris

And PS, I am sorry about your loss.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chris,

P.transvaalicus is big, black and mean looking. They can spray their venom, which is something P.leiosoma can't. I never saw mine spray, but it is still neat to have one of the few species that can. Also, they have probably the fattest tail of any scorp out there (not necessarily relative to their body size, but in an absolute sense). In addition to this, they are a lot easier to breed and raise than some of the other Parabuthids from what I understand. And as for hiding, my female always would but my male would always be out and about looking for love.

Cheers,
Dave

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, they have probably the fattest tail of any scorp out there (not necessarily relative to their body size, but in an absolute sense).
Hmmm... You also have some A. bicolors, right? In comparison to both you think P. trans holds more of a tail than A. bicolor?

I actually went with A. bicolor because i thought it had a much stalkier tail. But i only gathered my info from pics of the net. Never had a chance to view P. trans personaly. But i was lead to beleive its tail was about a thick as the P. leio?

Please correct me if i`m wrong and I`m gonna add P. trans to me wishlist with A. crassicauda , L. quin., etc.....

Mat

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yah i have the same scorpions as mat, my a.bicolor is way thicker then my p.leio and i was lead to beleive that a.bicolor and p trans's tail were about the same size rufly.
Andrew

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The A.bicolor probably have thicker tails in proportion to their bodies, but they are substantialy smaller than the P.transvaalicus so the absolute tail thickness is much greater on the P.trans.

Cheers,
Dave